During office hours
+44 (0)1234 400 400
Outside office hours
+44 (0)1582 74 39 89
University of Bedfordshire
UK, LU1 3JU
The mansion at Putteridge Bury was built in the style of Chequers by architects Sir Ernest George and Alfred Yeats and completed in 1911.
The grounds were redesigned by Edwin L Lutyens, soon to be recognised as the foremost architect of the era, and planted by Gertrude Jekyll, one of the first lady Victorian gardeners.
Find out more on the Jekyll Estate website
Particular features of the Putteridge Bury grounds are the reflective pool and massive yew hedges.
Queen Mary and King George V often visited Putteridge Bury with the Prince of Wales and on 1 December 1926 the King planted an oak tree in the lawn to the south of the house.
In 1965 it was acquired by Luton Borough Council and opened as Putteridge Bury College of Education in 1966.
Following Government cutbacks during the 1970s Putteridge Bury ended its brief life as a teacher training centre and was merged with Luton Technical College to become the Luton College of Higher Education, in September 1978.
From 1985 the function rooms were gradually renovated to their original splendour and to conference centre standards.
The unused gymnasium was converted to a learning resources centre.
Over 1,500 students now enrol on various management development programmes every year, with a vast number of delegates visiting the Conference Centre for sales and training conferences, meetings, wedding receptions and social events.
A licence is also held to perform civil marriage ceremonies.
More details about corporate functions and social events services and booking information are available at Putteridge Bury Conference Centre