Academic Professional Degree Apprenticeship
About the Course
The apprenticeship seeks to enhance your knowledge and skills in teaching and learning in a way that can be directly applied to your academic practice.
This programme includes a Postgraduate Diploma in Academic Practice and is accredited by AdvanceHE (formerly the Higher Education Academy).
Who is it for?
This course is aimed at those:
- Delivering teaching and learning at a Higher Education Institute or on a Higher Education qualification
- Interested in expanding their knowledge, understanding, skills and abilities in both teaching and learning, and wider academic practice
- With a minimum workload of 50 hours per year dedicated to teaching and/or supporting learning hours
How the programme is delivered
This is a practice-based course with the learning centred on your own professional academic practice.
Scheduled, guided and independent learning activities are designed to develop your professional practice and provide exposure to a variety of different teaching, learning and assessment methods, techniques, technologies and environments. Relevant research, scholarship and pedagogy provide a sound evidence- based underpinning to your reflections and learning.
Level and expected entry qualifications
This is a postgraduate apprenticeship at Level 7. Applicants are normally expected to have a degree, or equivalent qualifications or experience.
You will extend the learning you do with us through your workplace practice. To achieve this, you will keep a portfolio of practice throughout the qualification and will have an in-practice mentor who can help contextualise your learning and assist you in reflecting upon the evidence you collect.
- The fundamentals of teaching practice in higher education
- Using technology to enhance teaching, learning and assessment
- Designing and delivering assessment and feedback
- Communicating with professional and academic communities
- Budgeting and planning in academic management
- Innovating your teaching
- Understanding the regulatory and quality assurance environment
- Evaluating and enhancing the quality of your provision
Duration of course is typically 24 months.
Qualifications include a Postgraduate Diploma in Academic Practice and Recognition of the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
English and Maths to Level 2 are included if not held at entry.
Why University of Bedfordshire?
- Campuses in Bedford, Luton, Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.
- We place strong emphasis on practical and professional skills alongside high quality education and training. Many of our programmes successfully combine employment with professional studies.
- Employers and apprentices are supported by experienced Apprenticeship Co-ordinators, through workplace visits and regular reviews.
- TEF Silver – Proud to achieve Silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework
- Commended by the QAA for the high quality and standards of our higher education provision (QAA 2015)
- Top 250 University under 50 years old (THE 2020)
- 8th in the country in the University Green League (People and Planet 2019)
- Eco Campus Platinum award (2020)
- Continued investment in facilities for our students. Most significantly we opened a £40m STEM building at our Luton campus in 2019.
- Our apprenticeship programmes can be configured to suit employers’ specific needs.