Food Industry Technical Professional
About this course
Our Food Industry Technical Professional degree apprenticeship provides the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to ensure the safety and quality of food products; this includes improving existing products and launching new products; working with operational teams to develop good practices and procedures; and developing good relationships with internal and external customers.
The programme includes a BSc Food Science and Technology with Business qualification.
Participants will benefit from:
- Teaching in state of the art laboratories
- Employer-based learning to address real opportunities
- Teaching staff who draw on industry experience as researchers or consultants
- An apprenticeship co-ordinator to link employer and apprentice to University
Who is it for?
- Existing employees supported by their employer to advance their career opportunities and expand their technical expertise
- New employees in skilled occupations in the food industry
- Those moving into a skilled role as a Food Technical Professional
- Open to graduates if their degree does not include in-depth study of Food Science
- Those progressing from a lower level apprenticeship
How the programme is delivered
Flexible delivery can be configured to suit employers. There is an option of delivery at the workplace to groups of ten or more.
The programme combines classroom and work-based learning to make up at least 20% of the apprentice’s working hours.
- The microbiology and microbial ecology in a range of foods
- Food legislation & regulation as appropriate to own organisational context
- Enhancing nutritional impact of food components
- Laboratory testing of chemical and physical test methods
- Food Safety Management, including hygiene
- Underlying principles of various common food processes
- Supply Chain management
- New Product Design and Innovation
- Managing Resources, People and Finances
- Develop and demonstrate critical evaluation/analysis of complex information and data
- Food Ethics
The programme duration is typically 36 to 48 months.
Qualifications include BSc Food Science and Technology with Business
Why the University of Bedfordshire
- Campuses in Bedford, Luton, Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.
- We place strong emphasis on practical and professional skills alongside high quality education and training. Many of our programmes successfully combine employment with professional studies.
- Employers and apprentices are supported by experienced Apprenticeship Co-ordinators, through workplace visits and regular reviews.
- TEF Silver – Proud to achieve Silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework
- Commended by the QAA for the high quality and standards of our higher education provision (QAA 2015)
- Top 250 University under 50 years old (THE 2020)
- One of 21 Business Schools awarded the Bronze Award for start-up and business growth advice (Small Business Charter)
- 8th in the country in the University Green League (People and Planet 2019)
- Eco Campus Platinum award (2020)
- Continued investment in facilities for our students. Most significantly we opened a £40m STEM building at our Luton campus in 2019.
- Our apprenticeship programmes can be configured to suit employers’ specific needs.