Food Industry Technical Professional Integrated Degree Apprenticeship
About this course
Our Level 6 Food Industry Technical Professional integrated degree apprenticeship provides the knowledge, skills and behaviours needed to ensure the safety and quality of food products. This includes improving existing products and launching new products, working with operational teams to develop good practices and procedures and developing good relationships with internal and external customers.
Who is it for?
- Existing employees supported by their employer to advance their career opportunities and expand their technical expertise
- New employees in skilled occupations in the food industry
- Those moving into a skilled role as a Food Technical Professional
- Open to graduates if their degree does not include in depth study of Food Science
- Those progressing from a lower-level apprenticeship
- Typical entry requirements include 3 A Level passes including a science or equivalent food technology
How the programme is delivered
The course offers 20% academic learning and 80% work-based learning. This is achieved by the apprentice attending the university one day per week to complete lectures, tutorials and lab classes and submit assignments. Work based learning is agreed via the apprentice co-ordinator, the work-based mentor and the apprentice. Work based learning is achieved by the completion of agreed tasks by the apprentice at work and the recording of these in a portfolio entry. By the end of the programme completed portfolios can be used to apply for membership of the Institute of Food Science and Technology
- Food Microbiology
- Food legislation & regulation
- Enhancing nutritional impact of food
- Chemical and physical testing of food
- Food safety management including hygiene
- Principles of common food processes
- Supply chain management
- Food product development
- Food ethics
The programme duration is typically 48 months.
Qualifications include BSc (Hons) Food Science, Technology and Management
English and Maths to Level 2 included if not held at entry.
Why the University of Bedfordshire
- Campuses in Bedford, Luton, Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.
- We place strong emphasis on practical and professional skills alongside high quality education and training. Many of our programmes successfully combine employment with professional studies.
- Employers and apprentices are supported by experienced Apprenticeship Co-ordinators, through workplace visits and regular reviews.
- TEF Silver – Proud to achieve Silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework
- Commended by the QAA for the high quality and standards of our higher education provision (QAA 2015)
- Top 250 University under 50 years old (THE 2020)
- 8th in the country in the University Green League (People and Planet 2019)
- Eco Campus Platinum award (2020)
- Continued investment in facilities for our students. Most significantly we opened a £40m STEM building at our Luton campus in 2019.
- Our apprenticeship programmes can be configured to suit employers’ specific needs.