Professional Public Speaking
Further develop and practice your public speaking skills in our Professional Public Speaking unit
***This Employability Unit can only be undertaken if you have previously completed the Introduction to Public Speaking Employability Unit***
Public speaking is one of the most important and most dreaded forms of communication. In a professional environment, public speaking is a vital skill to have and to perfect. It effects simple, everyday interactions between co-workers, supervisors and employees, marketing professionals and clients, and it can have an enormous impact on your career path and your level of success in your industry. This course will build on existing knowledge of public speaking and give you an in-depth knowledge of the skill.
This course will:
- Develop further skills to engage and persuade a live audience
- Gain practical experience of using public speaking techniques in groups as well as individually
- Further develop skills of body language, voice projection and use of visuals
- Location - TBC
- Start date - TBC
- Duration - 5 weeks
- Attendance - 2 hours per week
- Cost - this unit is free of charge for University of Bedfordshire students
For the enhancement of your performance in delivering a pitch directly to a live audience in a structured, deliberate manner, you build skills for:
- conducting analysis of speeches, sales pitches
- deploying transitions and other signposts
- practising the structuring of a speech
- developing strategies to counter difficult questions
- employing strategies to counter the fear of public speaking (psychological preparation)
- experiential development of interpersonal soft skills:
- rapport building; adaptability; written and oral communication; friendliness; attire; personal appearance; active listening
- experiential development of interpersonal soft skills: building confidence; time management; planning; taking initiative; exhibiting enthusiasm; stress tolerance and resilience
Group presentation or pitch completed at the end of the unit (even though this is a group presentation you will be assessed individually)
This unit is available to registered University of Bedfordshire students studying at Level 4 or above. Students on level 8 or research courses will not be eligible to undertake the units.
Terms & Conditions - Professional Public Speaking
Minimum requirement of classroom attendance for this Unit: 7.5 hours
I am aware that I have signed to accept the University’s Terms and Conditions in connection with my registration on my course of academic study. I accept that these will continue to apply as may be appropriate to my registration on this Employability Unit, except as supplemented or amended below. I acknowledge I have consented that the University may share my personal data with certain specified third parties and I further consent that this will apply equally to my registration on the Employability unit.
I understand and accept as follows:
- my entitlement to register on the Employability Unit is as a student on a taught course of the University at level 4, 5, 6, or 7.
- that I may register on no more than two Employability units in one Academic Year.
- that I will incur no liability for additional tuition fees by registering on the Employability unit.
- upon satisfactory completion of the Employability Unit as determined by the Short Course Approval Panel Exam Board, my award will be as a pass or fail (i.e. not graded) and if a ‘pass’, then it will have a maximum value of 5 academic credits.
- any credit awarded for the Employability unit will not count towards an award that may later be made for my academic course of study and it will not feature in my transcript for this. My registration and any credit gained for this and other Employability units will be included on a separate supplementary transcript reciting such awards, unless I have withdrawn in the manner detailed in the following clause).
- by registering on the Employability unit I accept that the outcome will feature on the supplementary transcript, whether pass or fail, unless I have written to formally withdraw from the registration to email@example.com, within 14 calendar days of the date of signing these Terms and Conditions.
- I will not be eligible for consideration of passing the Employability Unit unless the University’s records show I have attended classroom sessions of at least the minimum number of hours shown above.
- all assessment in the Employability Unit will be on the basis of a single attempt and no referral or re-sit opportunities will be allowed.
- Mitigation processes and policies do not apply to the Employability Unit and the timing and administration of assessment will be as determined by the University at its sole discretion.
- the unit may be withdrawn at any stage, including after registration in extenuating circumstances. In this event I will receive attendance certification ONLY.
I understand and agree to the above terms and conditions.