Director of Academic & Organisational Development
I joined the University in September 2017. I was previously Head of Technology Enhanced Learning at Kingston University, where I remain a visiting Professor of Educational Technology. I have been a visiting Professor of Engineer Education in Lund University, Sweden since 2012. I am also a visiting researcher in Umeå University in Sweden.
Prior to this, I held a number of roles at the Open University including Associate Dean, Learning and Teaching in the Institute of Educational Technology. I have also worked in three further education colleges in Northern Ireland teaching computer science, digital literacy, and digital education. Preceding this, I worked in industry as a computer programmer/analyst.
- 2002 Ph.D. in Educational Technology The Open University, UK
- 1994 M.Sc. in Computer Science Education (Distinction), University of Ulster, NI
- 1993 ADFE (Advanced Diploma in Further Education), University of Ulster, NI
2015 PFHEA Principal Fellow of the Higher Educations Academy
I work closely with Faculty Executive Teams and members of the corporate management team to provide leadership in the development, implementation and monitoring of key elements of the University’s academic infrastructure to support its strategic priorities and its demonstration of excellence within the TEF framework.
This includes the induction, support and development of academic staff; the deployment and effective use of learning technology; and curriculum development and enhancement to ensure positive TEF outcomes, maintain academic standards and quality improvement.
I also oversee the implementation of staff development more generally, and lead the coordination of these activities in support of the implementation of the University’s behavioural, management and leadership competencies in line with its strategic objectives.
I manage a team of staff with a range of specialist expertise in academic development, technology enhanced learning and organizational development. I research the interrelationships between teaching and learning in the wider university context and use this to underpin policy and strategy development.
I have been researching and promoting pedagogically-driven uses of educational technology in a range of contexts in higher education for more than 25 years. My recent research focuses on holistically modelling the factors that affect learning and teaching in a university context. My research is strongly synergistic in developing the nexus between research and practice, traversing the fields of education and educational technology research and scholarship. It brings together the two research areas of conceptions and perceptions of learning and teaching in higher education and technology enhanced learning.
My research has provided theoretical frameworks illustrating the range of complex factors to be considered in digital interventions in teaching and learning, enabling knowledge transfer that transcends national and disciplinary boundaries. I have led the convergence of the theoretical approaches to teaching and learning in HE with the experiential approaches to educational technology.
I have given keynotes and workshops on these topics, nationally and internationally in countries such as Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, South Africa, Ghana, and the United Arab Emirates. And I have advised the Danish government on developing future higher education provision.
- Mar 2018 Keynote: Digitalization as a Challenge to Higher Education, Federal Ministry of Education and Research, the Accreditation Council, and the Stifterverband, Minz, Germany
- Nov 2017 Keynote: Can technology transform education and how would we know? St George’s University, London
- May 2017 Keynote: The changing landscape: How does this affect how we teach? Herriot Watt Business School, Edinburgh
- May 2017 Keynote: The changing landscape: How does this affect how we teach? Herriot Watt Business School, Edinburgh
- April 2017 Keynote: Educating for the Future. Invited by the Danish Minster of Education at a Special Meeting of Danish University Rectors, Research Institutes and Industry leads.
- Oct 2016 Keynote: Transitioning from Student to Global Professionals: Innovative Pedagogies & Technologies, 26th Oct, Herriot Watt University, Edinburgh
- Jan 2015 Workshop on Students as 21st Century Professionals, 23rd Jan 2015, Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Dec 2014 Plenary Session at 8:e Pedagogiska Inspirationskonferens, Developing a roadmap for E-learning, 17th December, LTH, Lund University, Sweden
- Jun 2014 Presentation at Digital Scholarship Colloquium, Using digital technologies in Engineering Education: how can we be scholarly? 10th June , Lund University, Sweden
- Jun 2014 Organiser of a Digital Scholarship Colloquium, Lund University, Sweden, 10th June
- May 2014 Seminar: Teaching and Learning with Technology, IKDC (Engineering Design Centre), 15th May, Lund University, Sweden
- Apr 2014 Keynote: How can ‘blended learning’ help us prepare today’s students for tomorrow’s professions? Blended Learning Conference, 28th April, Rekjavik, Iceland
- Apr 2014 Workshop: Towards Blended Learning? University of Iceland, Reykjavik, 29th April
- Apr 2014 Presentation to Danish Government Select Committee on Higher Education: How does educational IT support the quality of teaching? And how can we measure the effect of educational IT? 25th April, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Mar 2014 Presentation to e-learning policy group. Learning in a Connected World, 24th April, Lund University, Sweden
- Apr 2014 Keynote: SEFI Convention for Engineering Deans entitled Learning in a Connected World, Convention for Engineering Deans 2-3 April, Lund
- Jan 2014 Keynote: Technology Enhanced Learning at University – How Can Learning Enhancement Be Demonstrated? Education 2020, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Jan 2014 Keynote: Technology, Technology, Technology – is it improving learning? Education 2020, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Jan 2014 Keynote: What skills do today’s students need as tomorrow’s professionals in a 21st century world? Education 2020, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Dec 2013 Keynote: Digital Learners of the 21st Century: What do we know about them? Academic Development conference, Åarhus University, Åarhus, Denmark
- Dec 2013 Keynote: Teaching and learning with technology: why? Academic Development conference, Åarhus University, Åarhus, Denmark
- Dec 2013 Workshop: Educational Development: Supporting Colleagues in Teaching and Learning with Technology, Academic Development conference, Åarhus University, Åarhus, Denmark
- Oct 2013 Keynote: Scholarly Approaches to using Technology in Teaching and Learning, Learning and teaching conference, Malmö, Sweden
- Sept 2013 Keynote: Learning and teaching with technology for Science and Technology, The College of Science, Engineering and Technology Conference, Magaliesburg, South Africa
- Sept 2013 Lecture: Scholarly approaches to using technology in teaching and learning, University of South Africa, South Africa,
- Sept 2013 Workshop: Cultivating ODL professional practice in enhancing learning and teaching through technology, University of South Africa, South Africa,
- Sept 2013 Seminar: Research in capacity development towards technology enhanced learning and teaching, University of South Africa, South Africa
- Aug 2013 Keynote: Learning and teaching with technology, Association of Dental Education Europe, Birmingham, UK
- Jun 2013 Seminar: ‘Digital Learning in the 21st Century: a look at the learners’ Lund University, Sweden
- Mar 2013 Keynote: Learners in the 21st century – are they any different? TESOL Arabia conference, Dubai
- Mar 2013 Featured presentation: Learning and Teaching in the 21st century, TESOL Arabia conference, Dubai
- Mar 2013 Workshop: Mobile learning for the 21st Century Classroom, TESOL Arabia conference, Dubai
- Nov 2012 Keynote: Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century, Humanities Teaching and Learning Conference, Lund University, Sweden.
- Oct 2012 Keynote: ‘Enhancing teaching and learning through technology’, Teaching and Learning conference, Malmö University, Sweden.
- Aug 2012 Symposium paper: ‘Evidence-based approaches in the professional development of university teachers’ use of technology in learning and teaching’, European Association of Research into Learning and Instruction, SIG Professional Development and Learning, Antwerp
- Dec 2011 Presentation: ‘Modelling factors for predicting student learning outcomes in higher education, Scientific Network Research Meeting, 'Learning patterns in transition', Antwerp, Belgium
- Nov 2010-11 Five Lectures: Delivered a series of 5 lectures on student-centered uses of technology in learning and teaching in Engineering and Technology Education, Lund University, SwedenFunded by ERASMUS
- Nov 2009 Keynote: ‘Mobile Technologies in Developing Countries’, Adam Research Center, Ghana
- Sep 2009 Workshop: ‘Technology, Learning and Teaching in Higher Education’, Improving Student Learning Symposium, Imperial College London
- June 2008 Keynote: ‘Scholarship: what is it – and what does it look like?’, Associate Lecturer Conference, Region 3, Taunton
- May 2005 Workshop: ‘Achieving a Satisfying Blend? Engaging students with e-learning’, Higher Education Academy, Leicester
- April 2005 Keynote: ‘The student experience of online tutoring’ , Associate Lecturer Conference, Regional Centre Birmingham
- March 2005 Workshop: ‘E-learning for the Health Sciences’ , National Health Service University
- March 2005 Debate panelist: ‘E-learning in the National Health Services , National Health Service University
- Dec 1997 Keynote: ‘Women and Computing’ , Associate Lecturer Conference, East Midlands Region, Nottingham
- Nov 1996 Keynote: ‘Using Electronic Assessment Systems to Support Student Learning’, University of Ulster, Jordanstown
Refereed Journal Articles
- Englund, C., Olofsson, A. D., & Price, L. (Under review) Teaching in higher education: contextual factors as facilitators of conceptual change and development in practice. Higher Education
- Englund, C., & Price, L. (Accepted) Facilitating agency: the change laboratory as an intervention for collaborative sustainable development in higher education. International Journal for Academic Development
- McLean, N., & Price, L. (Under Review), A longitudinal study of the impact of reflective coursework writing on teacher development courses: a 'legacy effect' of iterative writing tasks, Higher Education
- McLean, N., & Price, L. (In Press) Identity Formation among Novice Academic Teachers – a Longitudinal Study, Studies in Higher Education
- Englund, C., Olofsson, A. D., & Price, L. (2017). Teaching with technology in higher education: understanding conceptual change and development in practice. Higher Education Research & Development, 36(1), 73–87. https://doi.org/10.1080/07294360.2016.1171300
- Price, L., Svensson, I., Borell, J., & Richardson, J. T. E. (2017). The Role of Gender in Students’ Ratings of Teaching Quality in Computer Science and Environmental Engineering. IEEE Transactions on Education, 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1109/TE.2017.2696904
- Kirkwood, A., & Price, L. (2015). Improved Quality and Validity: Reframing Research and Evaluation of Learning Technologies. EURODL Special Issue: Best of EDEN RW8, 102–115.
- Price, L., & Kirkwood, A. T. (2014). Informed design of educational technology for teaching and learning? Towards an evidence-informed model of good practice. Technology, Pedagogy and Education, 23(3), 325-347
- Alden Rivers, B., Richardson, J. T. E., & Price, L. (2014). Promoting reflection in asynchronous virtual learning spaces: tertiary distance tutors’ conceptions. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning., 15 (23)
- Price, L., & Kirkwood, A. (2014). Using technology for teaching and learning in higher education: a critical review of the role of evidence in informing practice. Higher Education Research & Development, 33(3), 549–564. doi:10.1080/07294360.2013.841643
- Kirkwood, A. T., & Price, L. (2014). Technology-enhanced learning and teaching in higher education: what is “enhanced” and how do we know? A critical literature review. Learning, Media and Technology, 39(1), 6–36. doi:10.1080/17439884.2013.770404
- Kirkwood, A. T., & Price, L. (2013). Examining some assumptions and limitations of research on the effects of emerging technologies for teaching and learning in higher education. British Journal of Educational Technology, 44(4), 536–543. doi:10.1111/bjet.12049
- Kirkwood, A. and Price, L. (2013) Missing: Evidence of a scholarly approach to teaching and learning with technology in higher education, Teaching in Higher Education, 18(3), 327–337.
- Kirkwood, A. and Price, L. (2013) Technology-enhanced Learning and Teaching in Higher Education: what is ‘enhanced’ and how do we know? Learning, Media and Technology, 1–31. doi:10.1080/17439884.2013.770404
- Price, Linda; Richardson, John T. E.; Robinson, Bernadette; Ding, Xia; Sun, Xiaoling and Han, Cuiling (2011). Approaches to studying and perceptions of the academic environment among university students in China. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 31,2, pp 159-175
- Draeger, J., & Price, L. (2011). Which Way to SoTL Utopia? International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 5(1). Retrieved from academics.georgiasouthern.edu/ijsotl/v5n1/essays_about_sotl/PDFs/_DraegerPrice.pdf 1931-4744 @ Georgia Southern University.
- Jelfs, A. E., Richardson, J. T. E., Price, L., (2009) Student and tutor perceptions of effective tutoring in distance education Distance Education, 30, 3, pp 419 – 441 1475-0198 (online) 0158-7919 (print)
- Kirkwood, A. and Price, L. (2008) Assessment and student learning: a fundamental relationship and the role of information and communication technologies, Open Learning, 23, 1, pp. 5-16.
- Makoe, M, Richardson, J. T. E., Price, L., (2008) Conceptions of learning in adult students embarking on distance education, Higher Education, 55, 303-320 0018-1560 (print) 1573-174X (online)
- Price, L. (2007). Lecturers’ vs. students’ perceptions of the accessibility of instructional materials. Instructional Science, 35(4), 287-373.
- Price, L., Richardson, J. T. E., & Jelfs, A. (2007). Face-to-face versus online tutoring support in distance education. Studies in Higher Education, 32, 1-20. 0020-4277 (Print) 1573-1952 (Online)
- Price, L., & Kirkwood, A. T. (2006). Improving student learning with information and communication technologies: A framework for continuing professional development for higher education. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. 7, (2), 1-14. ISSN: 1492-3831
- Price, L. (2006). Gender differences and similarities in online courses: Challenging stereotypical views of women. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 22, 349-359.
- Kirkwood, A. T., & Price, L. (2005). Learners and Learning in the 21st Century: What do we know about students' attitudes and experiences of ICT that will help us design courses? Studies in Higher Education, 30(3), 257-274. ISSN 0307-5079
- Price, L. (2004). Individual Differences in Learning: Cognitive control, cognitive style and learning style. Educational Psychology, 24, 681-698. ISSN 0144-3410
- Richardson, J. T. E., & Price, L. (2003). Approaches to studying and perceptions of academic quality in electronically delivered courses. British Journal of Educational Technology, 34, 45-56. ISSN 007-1013
- Thomas, P. G., & Carswell*, L. (2000). Learning Through Collaboration in a Distributed Education Environment. Educational Technology & Society, 3(3), 373-383. ifets.ieee.org/periodical/vol_3_2000/v_3_2000.html ISSN 1436-4522
- Carswell*, L., Thomas, P. G., Petre, M., Price, B. A., & Richards, M. (2000). Distance education via the Internet: The Student Experience. British Journal of Educational Technology, 31(1), 29-46. ISSN 007-1013
- Carswell*, L., Thomas, P. G., Petre, M., Price, B., & Richards, M. (1999). Understanding the 'electronic' student: Analysis of functional requirements for distributed education. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 3(1), www.aln.org/alnweb/journal/jaln-vol3issue1.htm. ISSN 1092-8235
- Thomas, P. G., Carswell*, L., Price, B. A., & Petre, M. (1998). A holistic approach to supporting distance learning using the Internet: transformation, not translation. British Journal of Educational Technology, 29, 149-161. ISSN 007-1013
- Petre, M., Carswell*, L., Price, B., & Thomas, P. G. (1998). Innovations in large-scale supported distance teaching:
- transformation for the Internet, not just translation. Journal of Engineering Education, 87, 423-432. 1069-4730
- Carswell*, L. (1998). Possible versus desirable in instructional systems: who's driving? Association for Learning Technology Journal, 6, 70-80 ISSN 0968-7769
Refereed Book Chapters
- McLean, N., & Price, L. (2016). The Mechanics of Identity Formation: A Discursive Psychological Perspective on Academic Identity. In J. Smith, J. Rattray, T. Peseta, & D. Loads (Eds.), Identity Work in the Contemporary University: Exploring an Uneasy Profession (Vol. 1, pp. 45–57). Rotterdam, The Netherlands: SensePublishers.
- Price, L., Kirkwood, A. T., & Richardson, J. T. E. (2015). Mind the gap: the chasm between research and practice in teaching and learning with technology. In J. Case & J. Huisman (Eds.), Researching Higher Education: International Perspectives on Theory, Policy and Practice (pp. 227–245).
- Price, L. (2014). Modelling factors for predicting student learning outcomes in higher education. In D. Gijbels, J. Richardson, & V. Donche (Eds.), Learning patterns in higher education in the 21st century: dimensions and research perspectives (pp. 56–77). Routledge.
- Kirkwood, A., & Price, L. (2011). The influence upon design of differing conceptions of teaching and learning with technology. In A. D. Olofsson & O. Lindberg (Eds.), Informed Design of Educational Technologies in Higher Education: Enhanced Learning and Teaching. Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Global. ISBN 978-1-61350-080-4
- Price, L & Kirkwood, A. T. (2008), Technology in the United Kingdom’s Higher Education Context. In S. Scott and K. Dixon (Ed.), The Globalised University: Trends and Challenges in Teaching and Learning. Perth: Black Swan Press, pp. 83–113. ISBN 978-0-975751-95-4
- Price, L., & Richardson, J. T. E. (2004). Why is it difficult to improve student learning? In C. Rust (Ed.), Proceedings of the 11th Improving Student Learning Symposium, Improving Student Learning: Theory, Research and Scholarship (pp. 105-120). Oxford: The Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development. ISBN 1-873576-71-4
- Price, L., & Richardson, J. T. E. (2003). Meeting the Challenge of Diversity: a cautionary tale about learning styles. In C. Rust (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2002 10th International Symposium of Improving Student Learning, Improving Student Learning Theory and Practice - 10 Years On (pp. 285-295). Oxford: The Oxford Centre for Staff & Learning Development. ISBN 1-873576-69-2
- Thomas, P. G., & Carswell*, L. (1999). CS Education over the Internet: The Future? In T. Greening (Ed.), Computer Science Education in the 21st Century": Springer Verlag. ISBN 0-387-98881-5
- Petre, M., Carswell*, L., Price, B. A., & Thomas, P. G. (1998). Innovations in large-scale supported distance teaching: transformation for the Internet, not just translation. In M. Eisenstadt, & T. Vincent (Ed.), The Knowledge Web. London: Kogan Page. ISBN 0-13-515479-0
I spend my free time...
Cooking, running and doing Yoga.
Tel: +44 (0)1582 489229