About this course
Our Food IndustryTechnical Professional degree apprenticeship provides the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to ensure the safety and quality of food products; this includes improving existing products and launching new products; working with operational teams to develop good practices and procedures; and developing good relationships with internal and external customers.
The programme includes a BSc Food Science and Technology with Business qualification
Participants will benefit from:
- High performance computing facilities for data science and analysis
- Employer-based learning to address real opportunities
- Teaching staff who draw on industry experience as researchers or consultants
- Assignments based on current business challenges
- An apprenticeship co-ordinator to link employer and apprentice to University.
Who is it for?
- Existing employees supported by their employer to advance their career opportunities and expand their technical expertise
- New employees in skilled occupations in the food industry
- Those moving into a skilled role as a FoodTechnical Professional
- Open to graduates if their degree does not include in depth study of Food Science
- Those progressing from a lower level apprenticeship
How the programme is delivered
Flexible delivery can be configured to suit employers, usually based on short blocks of study. Day release may also be possible.There is an option of delivery at the workplace to groups of ten or more
The programme combines classroom and work-based learning Apprentices extend their classroom learning through their workplace practice, collecting evidence of their learning applied.
- The microbiology and microbial ecology in a range of foods
- Food legislation & regulation as appropriate to own organisational context
- Enhancing nutritional impact of food components
- Laboratory testing of chemical and physical test methods
- Food Safety Management including hygiene
- Underlying principles of various common food processes
- Supply Chain management
- New Product Design and Innovation
- Managing Resources, People and Finances
- Develop and demonstrate critical evaluation/analysis of complex information and data
- Food Ethics
The programme duration is typically 18- 24 months.
Qualifications include Certificate of Higher Education in Data Science.
Why the University of Bedfordshire
- Campuses in Bedford, Luton, Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.
- We place strong emphasis on practical and professional skills alongside high quality education and training. Many of our programmes successfully combine employment with professional studies.
- In 2015, the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) report on University of Bedfordshire identified eight areas of good practice in teaching and
- learning and commended the University for the quality of its learning experience - now a QAA case study.
- Employers and apprentices are supported by experienced Apprenticeship Co-ordinators, through workplace visits and regular reviews.
- Our apprenticeship programmes can be configured to suit employers’ specific needs.
- Employers looking for groups of 10 or more can usually choose to have teaching delivered at the workplace.