Professor of Operations Management and Director, Business and Management Research Institute (BMRI)
On a professional level I work extensively on various facets of operations management including management of logistics and supply chains. I am interested in approaching operations management activities from an environmental sustainability point of view.
I have also worked in the fields of e-Commerce, modelling methodologies and quantitative analyses. Particularly, my interests lie in management science tools of linear programming, goal programming, data envelopment analysis, statistical tools (regression, structural equation modelling, etc.) and the analytic hierarchy process.
On a personal front, I enjoy Carnatic Indian classical music and reading about ancient Indian and British history.
- PhD in Industrial Management – Indian Institute of Technology
- Master of Technology in Maintenance Management - Indian Institute of Technology
Awards and Honours
- Visiting Professor, Jaipuria Insitute of Management, Lucknow, India, for three years from September 2017.
- Visiting Professor, Henan University Business School, China, for five years from June 2017.
- I have been invited to act as a mentor and key note speaker at the international research workshop titled “A pathway to global sustainability - Role of local food supply logistics in global sustainability”, 29 May – 01 June 2017, Rio do Sul, Brazil (organised jointly by Nottingham Trent University, UK, and UNIDAVI, Rio do Sul, Brazil, and funded by the Newton Fund, the British Council and FAPESC, Brazil).
- Member, International program committee of the 11th International Conference on Operations and Supply Chain Management (ICOSCM), 16th – 19th July 2017, at Kaifeng China.
- Key note speaker in several international conferences.
- Mentor and keynote speaker at the international research workshop titled “Sustainable Development - Exploring Energy Efficiency Opportunities through Supply Chain and Operations Innovation”, 23-27 May 2016, Universidad Autónoma de Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes, Mexico (organised jointly by the University of Derby, UK, and funded by the Newton Fund, the British Council and the Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia (CONACYT) of Mexico).
- Member of Scientific Committee of the 5th World Conference on P&OM (co-organized by, EurOMA , POMS and JOMSA), 6 - 10 September 2016, Havana, Cuba
- Member of the Program Committee of the “The International Conference on Internet of things and Cloud Computing (ICC 2016)” (icc-conference.org), 22 and 23 March 2016, The Møller Centre - Churchill College, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
- Member of the Program Committee of the “International Conference on Internet of Things and Big Data” - IoTBD 2016 (www.IoTBD.org), 23-25 April 2016, Rome, Italy.
- Invited Editor for a book in honour of Professor Ravi Ravindran, a well-known professor in Operational Research, Pennsylvania State University, on the occasion of his retirement. I delivered a special talk in an international conference in honour of Professor Ravindran, in Bangalore, in March 2015.
- Chair of a session on Supply Chain Analytics at the POMS International Conference 2014, July 21-23, Singapore.
- Associate editor of the project on an innovative new online resource, The Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Business and Management.
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy, UK (from 22nd July 2016)
- Operations Management including Service Operations Management
- Research Methods
- Quantitative Methods including Operational Research
- Energy and Transport Economics
- Big Data and Business Analytics, Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, e-Commerce, Management Science, Environmental Sustainability, Innovation, Performance Analysis
- Single and Multi-Objective Optimisation, Data Envelopment Analysis, The Analytic Hierarchy Process, Multi-Variate Statistical Analysis, Structural Equation Modelling
- Energy, Transport, and Socio-Economic Impact Assessment of developmental projects
I have so far supervised 12 PhD students and more Masters' students to successful completion as on June 2018, and am supervising several more students at present.
I welcome proposals from interested students for doing PhD in the following areas:
- Operations management issues E-commerce
- Environmental sustainability issues in operations management of firms
- Making business sense of big data, the Internet of Things, and business analytics
- Agri-food supply chains especially for reducing food waste
- Innovation studies and links with business performance
- Links among innovation, environmental pressures and business performance
- Interface between operations and marketing/finance
- Impact of business analytics and social media on firm performance
- Statistical and mathematical modelling, especially using data envelopment analysis, analytic hierarchy process, structural equations, and optimisation.
Please note that this list is not exhaustive and I am open for additional suggestions from prospective students.
- Principal Investigator, “Improving Resource Efficiency of Agribusiness supply chains by Minimising waste using Big Data and Internet of Things sensors (REAMIT)”, Successful in Step-1 Application form of Project Number NWE 831 submitted for funding from Interreg North West Europe (NWE), April 2018. Budget €6,573,631.73 with 60% ERDF funding (nearly €4 million). The application had 7 project partners (East Netherlands Development Agency, Harper Adams University UK, Images & Réseaux FRANCE, University College Dublin IRELAND, University of Nantes FRANCE and GIQS eV. Germany) and 2 sub-partners (Levstone Ltd. UK and Maynooth University IRELAND). Step-2 application is being developed - due in October 2018.
- Principal Investigator, “Implementing technology solutions for sustainable development of artisanal fisheries in Santa Catarina (TAF)”, project funded by Newton Fund Institutional Links programme, The British Council. April 2018 – March 2020. Brazilian PI: Prof Jaoqim Manoel Monteiro Valverde, 2 co-investigators each from the UK and Brazil, six associated partners (one from the UK and five from Brazil). Value: £99,902.
- Co-investigator, “Data-driven agri-food supply chains for sustainability and productivity: A case in Henan Province, China Data-driven agri-food supply chains for sustainability and productivity: A case in Henan Province, China”, Project successful in response to the STFC Food Network+ (SFN) Collaborative Scoping call. £8,000. Professor Wantao Yu (Roehampton) is the PI. Other co-investigators are Dr Tom Kirkham and Tom Collingwood (both of STFC) and Dr Sonal Chouduary (Sheffield). May – November 2018.
- Co-investigator, “Augmented Procurement Visibility (APROV): Developing the self organising capability of agricultural procurement systems”, Project successful at the Science & Technologies Facilities Council (STFC) Sandpit Event, 26-27 February 2018, £8,000. Dr Lusiano Batista (Northampton) is the PI. Other co-investigators are Professor Wantao Yu (Roehampton), Tom Kirkham and Brian Mathews (both of STFC), Ms Pascale Martin (from Agronomex – a start up on Big Data finance platform) and Ms Ximena from Manchester. April – October 2018.
- Co-investigator, “Understanding the state of the art research on the use and impact of Big Data and Analytics: A systematic literature review”, project internally funded by the Business & Management Research Institute, University of Bedfordshire, UK. £4,050. PI is Professor Yanqing Duan. Other Co-investigators are Dr Guangming Cao and Dr. Nasrallah Khilji. (December 2017 – July 2018).
- Co-investigator, “Supporting SMEs in using Big Data in China with UK experience”, project internally funded by the Business & Management Research Institute, University of Bedfordshire, UK. £5,000. PI is Professor Yanqing Duan. Other Co-investigators Professor Zetian Fu (China Agriculture University) and Mr Ruiqian Li, Harbin University of Commerce, China. (December 2017 – July 2018).
List of research projects I have coordinated and participated in the past.
- Member of ESRC Peer Review College from 1 October 2015 to 30 September 2019.
- Reviewer for British Council Newton Fund for 2016-2019. Reviewed applications for UK Institutional Links July 2016 call (Russia, Brazil, Colombia, Egypt, Kenya, Mexico, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam). In addition, I have reviewed research proposals submitted to grant bodies across the world, including the ESRC (UK), Romanian research council, Polish research council, Croatian research council and Oman research council.
- Area Editor in the field of Multi-Criteria Decision Making for the journal 'OPSEARCH', the official journal of the Operational Research Society of India (2007- 2011).
- Member of editorial boards of the Journal of Contemporary Development and Management Studies, International Journal of Internet of Things and its Applications, International Journal of Quality and Standards, the International Journal of Advanced Operations Management, and the International Journal of Business Performance and Supply Chain Modelling. In addition, Guest Editor of special issues of International Journal of Production Economics and International Journal of Agile Systems and Management.
- Reviewer of grant proposals and Reporter of completed projects both within and outside the UK.
- Referee for commonwealth fellowship applications.
- External Examiner for Masters and PhD theses. In the past worked as the External Examiner for the University of Hull, the University of Brighton and the University of Loughborough.
As on June 2018, I have over 132 articles (in journals and chapters in books), 5 books/Monographs and over 165 conference/invited/tutorial presentations to my credit. The following is a list of selected publications for the period 2010-2017.
T: +44 (0)1582 743516