Dr Andreas Yiannaros
Course Leader for Undergraduate Law Programmes (Senior Lecturer in Law)
Dr Andreas Yiannaros is a Senior Lecturer in Law and the Course Leader for Undergraduate Law Programmes at the Department of Law and Finance. Andreas is a Research Fellow of the Centre for Research in Law (CRiL) and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Andreas holds an LL.B (Hons) Law, an LL.M in Public international Law from King’s College London and a Doctorate of Philosophy in International Law completed with a scholarship award.
His PhD thesis examined the right to conscientious objection to military service and the implementation of related standards across the 47 member states of the Council of Europe both in relation to conscripted soldiers and professional military personnel.
His research interests lie in the field of human rights law and particularly freedom of thought, conscience and religion, non-discrimination and equality. Andreas' current research investigates the socio-legal dimensions of the increasing recruitment of minors in the armed forces, with a special focus on Germany and the United Kingdom.
Andreas has been added to the pool of experts of the Council of Europe’s Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Unit (SOGI) in 2015 and has advised various civil society organisations in Europe on human rights issues.
He frequently sits as judge in the Debating Matters competition and has an interest in engaging students from all backgrounds in discussions around current affairs and contemporary issues.
- Certified Management & Business Educator, Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS) 2019
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy (HEA) 2017
- PhD in International Law – University of Bedfordshire 2013
- LLM in Public International Law – King's College (University of London) 2010
- LLB (Hons) Law – University of Bedfordshire 2009
- Constitutional and Administrative Law
- International Human Rights Law
- Public International Law
- Legal Practice and the English Legal System
- Law of Contract
- Legal Research Methods
Public international law with particular emphasis on:
- international human rights law
- freedom of thought, conscience and religion
- human rights and multinational corporations
- international refugee law;
- anti-discrimination law and equality legislation
- External Examiner, Staffordshire University
- External Expert to the Council of Europe's Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Unit (CoE-SoGI)
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars, the British Institute of International and Comparative Law, the Human Rights Lawyers Association and the Socio-Legal Studies Association
Awards and Recognition
- Lecturer of the Year 2017 (Finalist) - LawCareers.Net Awards
- Outstanding Teacher, Business School 2017 - Vice Chancellor's Student Experience Awards
Access selected papers on beds.academia.edu/AYiannaros
- Yiannaros A., 'The historical evolution of the right of conscientious objection to military service in the UN human rights system: 1950-2017' (2017) International Journal of Human Rights and Constitutional Studies (forthcoming)
- Yiannaros A., ‘Refusing to fight: Selective conscientious objection to professional military duties in the Council of Europe’ (2017) Journal of Military Ethics
- Yiannaros A., 'From Grandrath to Bayatyan: The development of European jurisprudence on conscientious objection to military service' (2017) Inter-American and European Human Rights Journal
- Yiannaros A., 'Protecting the 'rights of others' in the UK: Religious expression, reasonable accommodation and the real meaning of non-discrimination' (2017) GenIUS Law Journal (Tribunale di Bologna)
- Yiannaros A., Nyombi C., & Lewis R., 'Corporate personality, human rights and multinational corporations' (2016) International Company and Commercial Law Review Volume 27, Issue 7
- Yiannaros A., Nyombi C. & Stanford B., 'TTIP negotiations in the shadow of human rights and democratic values' (2017) International Company and Commercial Law Review
- Yiannaros A., 'Commentary: The Mitochondrial Donation Regulations 2015' (Westlaw Insight, 2016)
- Yiannaros A., 'The role of NGO’s in enhancing human rights checks and balances' (Westlaw Insight, 2016)
- Yiannaros A., 'ECHR: Freedom of thought, conscience and religion' (Westlaw Insight, 2016)
- Yiannaros, A., 'Legal and procedural barriers to the freedom of movement and residence for spouses and partners of EU nationals', in N. Phellas, M. Kapsou and E. Epaminonda (eds.), Studies Beyond Heteronormativity in the Hellenic Region (Colourful Planet, 2014).
- Yiannaros A., Book Review: A. Ellner, P. Robinson and D. Whethem (eds.), When Soldiers Say No: Selective Conscientious Objection in the Modern Military (Ashgate Publishing, 2014), available at. www.e-ir.info/author/andreas-yiannaros
T: +44 (0)1582 743011 (Ext. 3011)