Portfolio Leader for Postgraduate Law Programmes, Principal Lecturer in Law
Dr Mohammad Alramahi is a Principal Lecturer in Law at the University of Bedfordshire. He holds a PhD from the University of Manchester. Formerly, he worked as Director of the Energy and Sustainability Law Center (CESL) at Qatar University and at a number of law schools such as Greenwich and Hull. He is the Portfolio Leader for all Postgraduate Law Programmes at Bedfordshire. Dr Alramahi was elected to represent the Business School at the University Academic Board and he is a member at the University External Examiner Committee (EEC).
Dr Alramahi has been active in the oil and gas industry for several years and is regarded as a leading international expert on issues pertaining to upstream oil and gas agreements negotiation and drafting technique. His experience in this area, both academic and practical, is extensive. Dr Alramahi has practical experience in over 30 jurisdictions worldwide including public and private sectors.
His research focuses mainly on the oil and gas industry contractual framework and the legal aspects of modern technologies. Dr Alramahi is currently examining the pre-contractual risks associated with major upstream agreements and the impact of low oil prices on existing oil and gas agreements.
He has also published on the dispute resolutions of oil and gas contracts and aspects of contemporary intellectual property.
Author of Oil and Gas Law in the UK by Bloomsbury Professional (ISBN: 9781847665553). (Currently working on edition 2 which is expected to publish in Q4 2018)
- PhD Law, University of Manchester
- LLM, University of Strathclyde
- LLB Hons, Mutah University
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Fellow, Chartered Management Institute
- International Petroleum Contracts
- Land Law
- Management of Oil and Gas Contracts (Upstream & Downstream)
- Energy Security and Sustainability
- Oil and Gas Law
- International Commercial Arbitration
- Business Law
Key Research Interests and Press Inquiries
- Oil and Gas Law (especially upstream agreements)
- International commercial arbitration and dispute resolutions
- Sustainability law
- Legal aspects of modern technologies
Dr Alramahi is interested in supervising topics related to oil and gas law, international commercial arbitration, and alternative dispute resolutions. Dr Alramahi welcomes informal PhD enquiries related to any of these areas.
In particular, he is interested in research related to the negotiation and review of petroleum contracts, especially how these contracts seek to apply the relevant aspects of English law and how the clauses are interpreted in light of the application of English law.
- Visiting professor at Institute of Law Jersey (2012-2014)
- Subject Convenor and Chief Examiner at University of London (2014-2015)
- Chief Editor, Journal of International Trade Law and Policy (JITLP) by Emerald (2007-2014)
Current External Examination
- External Examiner, Coventry University
- External Examiner, Reading University
- External Examiner, London Metropolitan University
- PhD examiner at many UK and Overseas Universities
Current - Other
- Reviewer, Liverpool Law Review, Springer, UK
- Honorary Lecturer, University of Liverpool
- Panellist, Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Center (ADNDRC)
- Education Advisory Board (EAB), Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), US
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Management, Economics and Social Sciences (IJMESS), US
- Editorial Board Member, Archives of Business Administration and Management, US
- Chair of Governors, Grasmere School, UK
International Committees and Board Memberships
- Member, Society of Legal Scholars (SLS), UK
- Member, International Bar Association, London UK
- Member, Law & Society Association (LSA), US
- Member, Council for the British Research in the Levant (CBRL), UK
- Member, UK Environmental Law Association (UKELA), UK
- Active Member, Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain (PESGB), UK
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (RMMLF), US
- Associate Member, Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association (AMPLA), Australia
- Member, Association of Law Teachers (ALT), UK
- Member, Society for Computers & Law (SCL), UK
- Member, Socio-Legal Studies Association (SLSA), UK
- Member, International Technology Law Association (ITchLaw), US (elected as Country Representative)
- Member, Society of Construction Law (SCL), UK
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA), New York, US
Book – sole author
- “Oil and Gas Law in the UK”, (08/2013), Bloomsbury Professional, ISBN-13: 978-1847665553 (Currently working on edition 2 which is expected to publish in Q4 2018)
Refereed Journal Articles
- Forthcoming, “Pre Contract Risk Assessment in the Oil and Gas Industry”
- Alramahi, M (2011) “Dispute Resolution in Oil and Gas Contracts", International Energy Law Review, Issue 3/2011, 7885;
- Alramahi, M (2010) "New gTLDs – Pandora's Box is open", International Review of Law, Computers & Technology, 24:2, 183 - 192.
- With C Filipescu (2009) "UK Data Loss: The Government’s Liability", Privacy & Data Security Law Journal, Vol 4, No. 8. pp. 726-749.
- Alramahi, M (2009) "The legal nature of domain names rights” Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, Vol 8, Issue 1, pp.84-94.
E: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
T: +44 (0)1582 743141
University of Bedfordshire