Acting Head of School of Computer Science and Technology
Dr Paul Sant joined the University in September 2005 as a lecturer and he became a Senior Lecturer in September 2006. He was promoted to Principal Lecturer in August 2011. Between January 2013 and August 2015 he oversaw the running of the University's Milton Keynes campus
In September 2015 he was appointed as Associate Dean (Quality and Development) in the Faculty of Creative Arts, Science and Technologies. Paul was appointed Acting Head of the School of Computer Science and Technology in April 2018.
Paul completed his PhD from King's College, London in 2003 with a thesis entitled "Algorithmics of edge-colouring pairs of 3-regular trees" and prior to this, a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Liverpool (1999).
Paul is an active member of the British Computer Society and a Chartered Information Technology Professional (CITP) as well as being a fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
Paul maintains strong links with the Department of Computer Science, and is still research active, being a local PI on the HEFCE funded MK: SMART www.mksmart.org project as well as being the Director of Studies of four PhD students.
- Graph Theory
- Algorithm Design
- Combinatorics and Discrete Mathematics
- Trust Modelling
- Security Modelling in Pervasive Environments
- Computer Security and Forensics
- Saad Alqahtani, H, & Sant, P.: A multi-cloud approach for secure data storage on smart device. DICTAP 2016: 63-69
- Hooper, M. & Sant, P. : Understanding the Mobile User’s Purchase-Decision Involvement, International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications (IJNCAA), Special Issue, Volume 5, Issue 3, 2015.
- Hooper, M. & Sant, P. : Message Perception within Context-Aware Recommender Systems, In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on E-Technologies and Business on the Web (EBW2015), The Society of Digital Information and Wireless Communication, 2015.
- Hooper, M. & Sant, P. : The influence of Environment Contexts On Purchase-Decision Involvement, In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on E-Technologies and Business on the Web (EBW2015), The Society of Digital Information and Wireless Communication, 2015.
- Edewede Oriwoh, David Jazani, Gregory Epiphaniou, Paul Sant: Internet of Things Forensics: Challenges and approaches. CollaborateCom 2013: 608-615
- Edewede Oriwoh, Paul Sant, Gregory Epiphaniou: Guidelines for Internet of Things Deployment Approaches - The Thing Commandments. EUSPN/ICTH 2013 : 122-131
- Edewede Oriwoh, Paul Sant: The Forensics Edge Management System: A Concept and Design. UIC/ATC 2013: 544-550
- Gregory Epiphaniou, Carsten Maple, Paul Sant, Ghazanfar Ali Safdar: Effects of iterative block ciphers on quality of experience for Internet Protocol Security enabled voice over IP calls. IET Information Security 6(3): 141-148 (2012)
- Stelios Sotiriadis, Nik Bessis, Ye Huang, Paul Sant, Carsten Maple: Defining Minimum Requirements of Inter-Collaborated Nodes by Measuring the Weight of Node Interactions. IJDST 2(3): 19-36 (2011)
- Brown, A., Sant, P., French, T., Bessis, N. & Maple, C. Modelling Self-led Trust Value Management in Grid and Service Oriented Infrastructures: A Graph Theoretic Social Network Mediated Approach. Accepted for publication in the International Journal of Systems and Service-Oriented Engineering (IJSSOE) 1(4), 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Sant, P. & Maple, C. A mobile agent strategy for grid interoperable virtual organisations. Proceedings of the International Association for Development of the Information Society Conference 2010 (IADIS 2010), 26-31 July 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Sant, P. & Maple, C. Encoding minimum requirements of inter-connected grid virtual organisations using genetic algorithms. Proceedings of the International Association for Development of the Information Society Conference 2010 (IADIS 2010), 26-31 July 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Huang, Y., Sant, P. & Maple, C. Towards decentralized grid agent models for continuous resource discovery of interoperable grid virtual organisations. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on the Applications of Digital Information and Web Technologies (ICADIWT 2010), Istanbul (Turkey), 12-14 July 2010.
- Epiphaniou, G., Maple, C., Sant, P. & Reeve, M. Affects of Queuing Mechanisms on RTP Traffic: Comparative Analysis of Jitter, End-to-End Delay and Packet Loss. Proceedings of the sixth annual conference on Access, Reliability and Security (ARES 2010), pages 33-40, 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Huang, Y., Sant, P. & Maple, C. Defining Minimum Requirements of Inter-collaborated Nodes by Measuring the Weight of Node Interactions. Proceedings of the international conference on Complex, Intelligent and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS 2010), pages 291-298, 2010.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Crochemore Sets, London Algorithmics 2008: Theory and Practice (A Volume Dedicated to Maxime Crochemore on his 60th Birthday), Texts in Algorithmics, Volume 11, Joseph Chan, Jacqueline W. Daykin and M. Sohel Rahman (ed.), pages 72-80, 2009.
- Gasieniec, L., Li, C.Y.,Sant, P. and Wong, P. W. H. Randomized probe selection algorithm for microarray design. Journal of Theoretical Biology, volume 248, issue 3, pages 512-521, 2007.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P., Binary Trees, Towers and Colouring. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithm (IWOCA 2007), Newcastle, Australia, 2007.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Trees, Towers and Colourings. Proceedings of the Algorithms and Complexity in Durham workshop (ACID 2007), University of Durham (UK), 2007.
- Gasieniec, L., Li, C. Y., Sant, P., Wong, P. W. H. Efficient Probe Selection in Microarray Design. Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (CIBCB 2006), pages 247-254, 2006.
- Sant, P. and Maple, C. A Graph Theoretic Framework for Trust – From Local to Global. Proceedings of Information Visualization 2006 (IV06), IEEE, pages 497-503, 2006.
- Gasieniec, L., Kolpakov, R., Potapov, I. and Sant, P. Real-Time Traversal in Grammar-based Compressed Files. Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference 2005 (DCC2005), page 458, 2005.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Rotation sequences and edge-colouring binary tree pairs. Theoretical Computer Science, 326, pages 409-418, 2004.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Stringology and the Four colour Theorem of Planar Maps. Texts in Algorithmics, volume 2: String Algorithmics, King's College Publications, 2004.
- Amos, M. and Sant, P. Models for recombination in Ciliates. Book Chapter in Computation in Cells and Tissues: Perspectives and Tools of Thought, Springer Series in Natural Computation, 2004.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Edge-Colouring Pairs of Binary Trees: Towards a concise proof of the Four Colour Problem of Planar Maps. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 2420, pages 25-39. K. Diks and W. Rytter (Eds.), 2002.
- Sant, P. and Gibbons, A. Towards a concise proof of the Four Colour Theorem of Planar Maps. Bulletin of EATCS, Volume 78, page 264, 2002.
- Frisco, P., Hoogeboom, H. J. and Sant, P. A direct construction of a Universal P System. Fundamenta Informaticae, Volume 49(1-3), pages 103-122, 2002.
- Mark Hooper, PhD (2012-)
- Faris Abomelha, PhD (2012-)
- Emin Ogur
- Saeed Al-Marri, PhD (2017)
- Thaier Hamid, PhD (2015)
- Moniphia Hewling, PhD (2014)
- Dr Gregory Epiphaniou, PhD (2011)
- Emanuel (Chris) Thomas, MPhil (2010)
- Marcia Gibson, MSc by Research
- Tao Cao, MSc by Research
- Yueqiao.Li, PhD
- Hataichanok Saevanee, PhD
- Ashley Ferrugia, PhD
Journal editorial membership
- International Journal of Distributed Systems and Technologies (2009-)
- The Computer Journal
- Journal of Discrete Algorithms
- International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology
- Modelling and Simulation in Engineering
External examining and course approval
- External panel expert, FdSc suite (franchised provision), Teesside University, 2011
- External panel expert, MSc suite (franchised provision), Middlesex University, 2010
- Academic Director (2008-2012)
- PhD examiner (internal) and MSc by Research examiner (internal)
- PhD examiner (external)
- Partner College Liaison (Computing) - 2006/7)
- Co-organiser (along with Dr Raphael Clifford) of BAD'07
- Co-organiser (along with Dr Raphael Clifford) of BAD'08
- Co-organiser (along with Dr Raphael Clifford) of BAD'09
Programme Committee Membership
- The 2nd International Conference on Emerging Intelligent Data and Web Technologies (EIDWT 2011)
- The 1st IEEE NSS Workshop on Mobile and Online Social Networks (MOSN 2011)
- Internet 2011
Extra Curricular Activities
In his spare time Paul enjoys a large variety of sports including: competitive athletics, marathon running, football and swimming. He also regularly attends the gym.
Besides sporting activities Paul also enjoys reading, going to the theatre and watching opera.
Dr Paul Sant
T: +44 (0)1582 743 209