Dr Paul Sant
Head of School of Computer Science and Technology
Dr Paul Sant joined the University in September 2005 as a lecturer and he became a Senior Lecturer in September 2006.
He was promoted to Principal Lecturer in August 2011. Between January 2013 and August 2015 he oversaw the running of the University's Milton Keynes campus
In September 2015 he was appointed as Associate Dean (Quality and Development) in the Faculty of Creative Arts, Science and Technologies. Paul was appointed Head of the School of Computer Science and Technology in 2018.
Paul completed his PhD from King's College, London in 2003 with a thesis entitled "Algorithmics of edge-colouring pairs of 3-regular trees" and prior to this, a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Liverpool (1999).
Paul is an active member of the British Computer Society and a Chartered Information Technology Professional (CITP) as well as being a fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
Paul always maintained strong links with the School of Computer Science and Technology and is research active, being a local PI on the HEFCE funded MK: SMART www.mksmart.org project as well as being the Director of Studies of four PhD students.
- PhD Computer Science (2003) Kings College London;
- BSc (Hons) Computing Information Systems (1999) University of Liverpool
I have expertise across a wide range of computer science areas including object-oriented programming, cyber defence, information security, project management, algorithm design and software engineering. I have been teaching since 2003, and have delivered across all levels from foundation year through to postgraduate level.
My research interests lie in the application of efficient computing solutions to problems. Specifically, I am interested in efficient solution development for applied problems in the areas of Cybersecurity, algorithm design and the Internet of Things.
- Graph Theory
- Algorithm Design
- Combinatorics and Discrete Mathematics
- Trust Modelling
- Security Modelling in Pervasive Environments
- Computer Security and Forensics
I am actively involved in a number of external roles in order to help the academic and wider community. This includes being an External Assessor (British Computer Society); STEM Ambassador; External Examiner (taught courses) and External examiner (PhD and research degrees).
- Asm Ashraf Mahmud, Paul Sant, Faisal Tariq, David Jazani:[Text Wrapping Break]A Real-Time monthly DR Price system for the Smart Energy Grid. EAI Endorsed Trans. Energy Web 4(13): e3 (2017)
- Asm Ashraf Mahmud, Paul Sant, Faisal Tariq, David Jazani:[Text Wrapping Break]Empirical analysis of real time pricing mechanisms for demand side management: contemporary review. FGCT 2016: 11-16
- Hassan Saad Alqahtani, Paul Sant:[Text Wrapping Break]A multi-cloud approach for secure data storage on smart device. DICTAP 2016: 63-69
- Hooper, M. & Sant, P. : Understanding the Mobile User’s Purchase-Decision Involvement, International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications (IJNCAA), Special Issue, Volume 5, Issue 3, 2015.
- Hooper, M. & Sant, P. : Message Perception within Context-Aware Recommender Systems, In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on E-Technologies and Business on the Web (EBW2015), The Society of Digital Information and Wireless Communication, 2015.
- Hooper, M. & Sant, P. : The influence of Environment Contexts On Purchase-Decision Involvement, In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on E-Technologies and Business on the Web (EBW2015), The Society of Digital Information and Wireless Communication, 2015.
- Oriwoh, E., Jazani, D. , Epiphaniou, G. & Sant, P. : Internet of Things Forensics: Challenges and approaches. CollaborateCom 2013: 608-615
- Oriwoh, E., Sant, P. & Epiphaniou, G. : Guidelines for Internet of Things Deployment Approaches - The Thing Commandments. EUSPN/ICTH 2013: 122-131
- Oriwoh, E. & Sant, P.: The Forensics Edge Management System: A Concept and Design. UIC/ATC 2013: 544-550
- Epiphaniou, G. , Maple, C. , Sant, P., Safdar, G.A., : Effects of iterative block ciphers on quality of experience for Internet Protocol Security enabled voice over IP calls. IET Information Security 6(3): 141-148 (2012)
- Sant, P. & Hewling, M. Digital Forensics: The need for Integration. Proceedings of 6th International Workshop on Digital Forensics and Incident Analysis (WFDIA 2011), Kingston University, UK, 7-8 July 2011.
- Epiphaniou, G., Maple, C., Sant, P. & Reeve, M. Affects of Queuing Mechanisms on RTP Traffic: Comparative Analysis of Jitter, End-to-End Delay and Packet Loss. ARES 2010, February 2010.
- Sant, P., Colouring Pairs of Binary Trees and the Four Colour Problem – Results and Achievements. DIMAP seminar, University of Warwick, UK, May 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Huang, Y., Sant, P. & Maple, C. Defining Minimum Requirements of Inter-collaborated Nodes by Measuring the Weight of Node Interactions. CISIS 2010, Poland, February 2010.
- Brown, A., Sant, P., French, T., Bessis, N. & Maple, C. Modelling Self-led Trust Value Management in Grid and Service Oriented Infrastructures: A Graph Theoretic Social Network Mediated Approach. International Journal of Systems and Service-Oriented Engineering (IJSSOE) 1(4), pages 1-18, 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Sant, P. & Maple, C. A mobile agent strategy for grid interoperable virtual organisations. Proceedings of the International Association for Development of the Information Society Conference 2010 (IADIS 2010), 26-31 July 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Sant, P. & Maple, C. Encoding minimum requirements of inter-connected grid virtual organisations using genetic algorithms. Proceedings of the International Association for Development of the Information Society Conference 2010 (IADIS 2010), 26-31 July 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Huang, Y., Sant, P. & Maple, C. Towards decentralized grid agent models for continuous resource discovery of interoperable grid virtual organisations. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on the Applications of Digital Information and Web Technologies (ICADIWT 2010), Istanbul (Turkey), 12-14 July 2010.
- Epiphaniou, G., Maple, C., Sant, P. & Reeve, M. Affects of Queuing Mechanisms on RTP Traffic: Comparative Analysis of Jitter, End-to-End Delay and Packet Loss. Proceedings of the sixth annual conference on Access, Reliability and Security (ARES 2010), pages 33-40, 2010.
- Sotiriadis, S., Bessis, N., Huang, Y., Sant, P. & Maple, C. Defining Minimum Requirements of Inter-collaborated Nodes by Measuring the Weight of Node Interactions. Proceedings of the international conference on Complex, Intelligent and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS 2010), pages 291-298, 2010.
- * Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Crochemore Sets, London Algorithmics 2008: Theory and Practice (A Volume Dedicated to Maxime Crochemore on his 60th Birthday), Texts in Algorithmics, Volume 11, Joseph Chan, Jacqueline W. Daykin and M. Sohel Rahman (ed.), pages 72-80, 2009.
- Sant, P., An Algorithmic and Graph Theoretic viewpoint of Security. Presented at the British Colloquium for Theoretical Computer Science (BCTCS) 2006, University of Warwick, UK, April 2009.
- Gasieniec, L., Li, C.Y.,Sant, P. and Wong, P. W. H. Randomized probe selection algorithm for microarray design. Journal of Theoretical Biology, volume 248, issue 3, pages 512-521, 2007.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P., Binary Trees, Towers and Colouring. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithm (IWOCA 2007), Newcastle, Australia, 2007.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Trees, Towers and Colourings. Proceedings of the Algorithms and Complexity in Durham workshop (ACID 2007), University of Durham (UK), 2007.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P., Binary Trees, Towers and Colouring, IWOCA 2007, Victoria, Australia, August 2007.
- Sant, P. and Gibbons, A., Combinatorics of colouring 3-regular trees. Presented at the British Colloquium for Theoretical Computer Science (BCTCS) 2006, University of Wales, Swansea, April 2006.
- Gasieniec, L., Li, C. Y., Sant, P., Wong, P. W. H. Efficient Probe Selection in Microarray Design. Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (CIBCB 2006), pages 247-254, 2006.
- Sant, P. and Maple, C. A Graph Theoretic Framework for Trust – From Local to Global. Proceedings of Information Visualization 2006 (IV06), IEEE, pages 497-503, 2006.
- Gasieniec, L., Kolpakov, R., Potapov, I. and Sant, P. Real-Time Traversal in Grammar-based Compressed Files. Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference 2005 (DCC2005), page 458, 2005.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Rotation sequences and edge-colouring binary tree pairs. Theoretical Computer Science, 326, pages 409-418, 2004.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Stringology and the Four colour Theorem of Planar Maps. Texts in Algorithmics, volume 2: String Algorithmics, King's College Publications, 2004.
- Amos, M. and Sant, P. Models for recombination in Ciliates. Book Chapter in Computation in Cells and Tissues: Perspectives and Tools of Thought, Springer Series in Natural Computation, 2004.
- Sant, P. (Joint work with Gibbons, A.). Classes of the Colouring Pairs of Binary Trees problem that can be solved in linear-time. Presented at the 19th British Combinatorial Conference, University of Wales, Bangor, July 2003.
- Sant, P. (Joint work with Gibbons, A.). Edge Colouring Pairs of 3-regular trees and the Four Colour Theorem of Planar Maps. Presented at the 14th Postgraduate Combinatorics Conference (PCC), Department of Mathematics, University of Nottingham, March 2003.
- Sant, P. and Gibbons, A., Towards a concise proof of the four colour theorem. Presented at the British Colloquium of Theoretical Computer Science (BCTCS18), HP Laboratories, Bristol, April 2002.
- Abstract of the talk appears in the Bulletin of the European Association of Theoretical Computer Science (EATCS). Page 264, 78, October 2002.
- Sant, P. and Gibbons, A. Towards a concise proof of the Four Colour Theorem of Planar Maps. Bulletin of EATCS, Volume 78, page 264, 2002.
- Gibbons, A. and Sant, P. Edge-Colouring Pairs of Binary Trees: Towards a concise proof of the Four Colour Problem of Planar Maps. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 2420, pages 25-39. K. Diks and W. Rytter (Eds.), 2002.
- Frisco, P., Hoogeboom, H. J. and Sant, P. A direct construction of a Universal P System. Fundamenta Informaticae, Volume 49(1-3), pages 103-122, 2002.4.3 Presentations.
- Sant, P. 3-edge colouring Pairs of Trees. King's College Research Day, October 15 2002. Sant, P., Frisco, P. and Hoogeboom, H. J. A direct construction of a universal P system. 17 British Colloquium on Theoretical Computer Science, University of Glasgow, April 2001.
- Faris Abomelha, PhD (2012-)
- Emin Ogur
- Hassan Alqahtani (2019)
- ASM Mahmud, PhD (2019)
- Mark Hooper, PhD (2018)
- Saeed Al-Marri, PhD (2017)
- Thaier Hamid, PhD (2015)
- Moniphia Hewling, PhD (2014)
- Dr Gregory Epiphaniou, PhD (2011)
- Emanuel (Chris) Thomas, MPhil (2010)
- Marcia Gibson, MSc by Research
- Tao Cao, MSc by Research
- Yueqiao.Li, PhD
- Hataichanok Saevanee, PhD
- Ashley Ferrugia, PhD
Journal Editorial Membership
- International Journal of Distributed Systems and Technologies (2009-)
- The Computer Journal
- Journal of Discrete Algorithms
- International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology
- Modelling and Simulation in Engineering
External Examining and Course Approval
- External panel expert, FdSc suite (franchised provision), Teesside University, 2011
- External panel expert, MSc suite (franchised provision), Middlesex University, 2010
- Academic Director (2008-2012)
- PhD examiner (internal) and MSc by Research examiner (internal)
- PhD examiner (external)
- Partner College Liaison (Computing) - 2006/7)
- Co-organiser (along with Dr Raphael Clifford) of BAD'07
- Co-organiser (along with Dr Raphael Clifford) of BAD'08
- Co-organiser (along with Dr Raphael Clifford) of BAD'09
Programme Committee Membership
- The 2nd International Conference on Emerging Intelligent Data and Web Technologies (EIDWT 2011)
- The 1st IEEE NSS Workshop on Mobile and Online Social Networks (MOSN 2011)
- Internet 2011
Extra Curricular Activities
In his spare time Paul enjoys a large variety of sports including: competitive athletics, marathon running, football and swimming. He also regularly attends the gym.
Besides sporting activities Paul also enjoys reading, going to the theatre and watching opera.
T: +44 (0)1582 743 209
During office hours
+44 (0)1234 400 400
Outside office hours
+44 (0)1582 74 39 89
Our Tweets: @uniofbeds
Nov 27, 2021
Nov 26, 2021
Nov 26, 2021
Nov 26, 2021
Nov 26, 2021
Nov 25, 2021
Nov 25, 2021
Nov 25, 2021
Nov 24, 2021