Senior Lecturer in Computer Networking
Dr Vladimir Dyo is a Senior Lecturer at the School of Computer Science and Technology, University of Bedfordshire. He received an MSc in Data Communications, Networks and Distributed Systems (DCNDS) from University College London in 2003 and subsequently completed a PhD under supervision of Dr Cecilia Mascolo.
During his thesis he was involved in EPSRC WILDSENSING project working on a distributed wireless sensor network system for wildlife tracking.
Prior to joining the University of Bedfordshire he was visiting Computer Lab, University of Cambridge and working as a research intern at Microsoft Research Cambridge.
His primary research interests are mobile sensing, energy harvesting, delay tolerant networking and machine learning in sensor networks.
I am currently looking for a highly motivated MPhil/PhD student for research in wireless sensor networks, energy efficient protocols and related areas.
Please see information about application process. If you are interested please contact me for details.
- An active‐radio‐frequency‐identification system capable of identifying co‐locations and social‐structure: Validation with a wild free‐ranging animal. Stephen A. Ellwood, Chris Newman, Robert A. Montgomery, Vincenzo Nicosia, Christina D. Buesching, Andrew Markham, Cecilia Mascolo, Niki Trigoni, Bence Pasztor, Vladimir Dyo, Vito Latora, Sandra E. Baker, David W. Macdonald. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, John Wiley & Sons. 2041-210X.
DOI: 10.1111/2041-210X.12839, [Link]
- Coverage and Mobile Sensor Placement for Vehicles on Predetermined Routes: a Greedy Heuristic Approach. Junade Ali and Vladimir Dyo. 14th International Conference on Wireless Networks and Mobile Systems (WINSYS 2017), Madrid, Spain, July 2017. Accepted for publication.
- Wireless Magnetic Sensor Network for Road Traffic Monitoring and Vehicle Classification, Vladan Velisavljevic, Eduardo Cano, Vladimir Dyo, Ben Allen, Transport and Telecommunication, 2016, volume 17, no. 4, 274–288, Transport and Telecommunication Institute, Lomonosova 1, Riga, LV-1019, Latvia, DOI 10.1515/ttj-2016-0024. [Link]
- Wireless Intrusion Detection System, Vladimir Dyo, Ben Allen, UK patent application GB1304464.9 pending.
- Method of Charging Batteries in Electronic Devices, Masood Ur-Rehman, Vladimir Dyo, Tahmina Ajmal, Ben Allen, UK patent application GB1305083.6 pending.
- Design of a ferrite rod antenna for harvesting energy from medium wave broadcast signals Vladimir Dyo, Tahmina Ajmal, Ben Allen, David Jazani, Ivan Ivanov. 2013, IET Journal of Engineering. DOI: 10.1049/joe.2013.0126, Online ISSN 2051-3305 [Link] [BIB]
- Design and optimisation of a compact RF energy harvesting device for smart applications. Ajmal T., Dyo V., Allen B., Ivanov I., IET Electron. Lett., DOI: 10.1049/el.2013.3434 [Link][BIB]
- Performance Analysis of Opportunistic Relaying and Opportunistic Hybrid Incremental Relaying Over Fading Channels. Hafiz Lateef, Vladimir Dyo, Ben Allen. In IET Communications, 2014
- Harvesting energy from ambient radio signals: A load of hot air? Allen, B., Ajmal, T., Dyo, V., Jazani, D. (2012), Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 2012 Loughborough: 1-4
- WILDSENSING: Design and Deployment of a Sustainable Sensor Network for Wildlife Monitoring Vladimir Dyo, Stephen A. Ellwood, David W. Macdonald, Andrew Markham, Cecilia Mascolo, Bence Pasztor, Salvatore Scellato, Niki Trigoni, Ricklef Wohlers, Kharsim Yousef. In ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN), Vol. 8, no. 4, September 2012.[BIB]
- Evolution and Sustainability of a Wildlife Monitoring Sensor Network Vladimir Dyo, Stephen A. Ellwood, David W. Macdonald, Andrew Markham, Cecilia Mascolo, Bence Pasztor, Salvatore Scellato, Niki Trigoni, Ricklef Wohlers, Kharsim Yousef. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (Sensys 2010). Zurich, Switzerland. November 2010 [BIB][PDF]
- Poster Abstract: Wildlife and Environmental Monitoring using RFID and WSN Technology Vladimir Dyo, Stephen A. Ellwood, David W. McDonald, Andrew Markham, Cecilia Mascolo, Bence Pasztor, Niki Trigoni, Ricklef Wohlers. In Proceedings of the 7th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys'09). Berkeley CA, USA. November 2009
- Efficient Node Discovery in Mobile Wireless Sensor Networks Vladimir Dyo and Cecilia Mascolo. In ACM/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS'08). Santorini, Greece. June 2008 [BIB][ PDF ]
- A Node Discovery Service for Partially Mobile Sensor Networks V. Dyo and C. Mascolo. In Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Sensor Network Middleware (MIDSENS'07). Colocated with Middleware 2007. Newport Beach, CA, USA. November 2007
- Works In Progress J. Mossiere, E. Curry, A. Beloued, J.M. Gilliot, F. Andre, M. Segarra, V. Dyo, E.A. Di Muro and M.A. Jaeger. The 2nd International Middleware Doctoral Symposium, IEEE Distributed Systems Online, Vol. 7, No. 2. IEEE Press. February 2006
- Middleware design for integration of sensor network and mobile devices Vladimir Dyo. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Doctoral Symposium on Middleware (co-located with Middleware 2005). Grenoble, France. ACM Press. November 2005
- Adaptive Distributed Indexing for Spatial Queries in Sensor Networks Vladimir Dyo and Cecilia Mascolo. In IEEE Proceedings of 8th International Workshop on Mobility in Databases and Distributed Systems (co-located with DEXA05). Copenhagen, Denmark. IEEE Computer Society Press. August 2005.
- Energy Efficient Distributed Index for Large Scale Sensor Networks Vladimir Dyo and Cecilia Mascolo. Workshop on Ubiquitous Computing and e-Research. National eScience Centre, Edinburgh, UK. 18-19 May 2005
- Improving Resource Consumption for Epidemic Routing in Intermittently Connected Networks Melissa Ho, Stephen Hailes, Vladimir Dyo, Damir Pavusin and Jasper Weener. Master thesis, UCL
I have been a reviewer for the following conferences, journals, workshops and books:
- PC member for the 12th IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC 2015)
- PC member for ARSR/Swicom 2013, Swicom 2012, Scope 2011
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, PerCom 2010, IEEE WCNC 2010, International Journal of Computer Mathematics, Elsevier Computer Communications, Ad Hoc Networks, DCOSS 2009, Mobiquitous 2009, PerCom 2006, InterSense 2006, Middleware 2006, The Handbook of Computer Networks John Wiley & Sons. 2006
School of Computer Science and Technology
University of Bedfordshire
Luton, LU1 3JU, UK
T: +44 (0)1582 743770