Senior Lecturer and Course Coordinator for Creative Writing
I’ve been teaching Creative Writers at the University of Bedfordshire since 2002.
My specialisms are innovative and experimental writing, performance writing (not script) and critical theory.
I am a linguistically innovative poet, who has been publishing and reviewing in the area for over thirty years.
My work has been published in numerous magazines and journals, both in the UK, Europe and the US.
BA Hons English Literature, St Catherine’s College, Oxford.
- hide white space Kater Murr’s Press, 2006
- tonnes Kater Murr’s Press, 2008
- The Reality Street Book of Sonnets Jeff Hilson (ed.) Reality Street, 2008
- ‘The Land of Lost Content’ in Alan W Holden and J. Roy Birch (eds.) A.E. Housman: A Reassessment. MacMillan, 1999.
- A.E. Housman. Seren Books, 1992
I am a member of the Luton Creative Forum, and have been involved in various local arts initiatives over the years.
These include organizing readings in bookshops and at festivals, judging a short story competition, and representing the University on funding initiatives.
My current practice involves an interest in Walter Benjamin’s The Arcades Project as a model for a way of ‘curating’ texts of various kinds. Under the title Ghost Signs, this project will have a focus on the way the past persists in redundant signs and buildings, as a way to initiate an intervention into the complex systems of modern networked living.
Other areas of interests include Conceptual Writing, Deconstruction, Vispo (visual poetry) and a Baudrillardian approach towards ‘post truth’.
As a director of studies I have supervised 2 PhDs and 7 Masters by Research to completion.
Lectures and Keynotes
- 2010: Keynote Lecture, 16th International reflective Practice Conference, University of Bedfordshire
- 1995: ‘The Land of Lost Content’ Housman Society annual Lecture, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.
- 1994: Presteigne Music Festival
- 1992: Welsh Academy Conference
- 2008: Café Oto Poetry series, Dalston, London
- 2007 and 2016: Blue Bus Poetry Series, The Lamb, Lamb’s Conduit St, London
- 2004: Crossing the Line series, Poetry Café, London.
- 2002: UNICEF “Dialogue through Poetry 2002” Maison Francaise, Oxford
School of Culture & Communications
University of Bedfordshire
Luton, LU1 3JU
Our Tweets: @writingbeds
Mar 17, 2020
Mar 16, 2020
Mar 10, 2020
Mar 04, 2020