Senior Lecturer in Nutritional Science/Course coordinator
As a qualified MD and nutritionist, I passionately generate, assess and deliver scientific evidence-based food and nutritional teaching and advice in a variety of settings to improve health and wellbeing. In addition, I aim to promote a healthy diet and lifestyle; important in current busy life style. In order to resolve our global nutrition and food challenges and problems, our BSc Food and Nutrition Science course has been designed to meet these requirements.
The course units that I teach and my research are deeply related. I have a keen interest in nutrition and functional food, which is important in improving human health. I have gained huge experience in teaching and research, have experience of working in National Institute of Nutrition, Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, University of Manchester, King’s College London, and Aberystwyth University before I joined the School of Life Sciences, University of Bedfordshire in 2008. I have done ground breaking research and published widely in this area. My research has been awarded by Chinese Government and Human Proteomics Organisation etc.
I enjoy teaching with a creative and innovative approach, with nominations on: Commitment award, Customer service award, and Governor’s recognition awards since my joining at the University of Bedfordshire. My course units include seminars with invited experts from the food industry and study visits to organisations such as the Institute of Food Science Technology, Yakult UK Ltd, Unilever, Association for Nutrition, and British Specialist Nutrition Association.
- PhD Nutrition – Harbin Medical University
- Master of Medicine – Harbin Medical University
- MD – Harbin Medical University
- Registered dietitian, Chinese Nutrition Society
- Fellow of High Education Academy, UK
- Course coordinator for BSc Food and Nutrition and BSc Bioscience
- Unit coordinator: Human Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition, Skills for Food and Nutrition, Cellular Pathology. Food and Nutrition Research Project; Clinical Pharmacology and Therapy (MSc)
- Zinc and health, e.g. zinc biomarker, and its effect on diabetes
- Food and nutrition, e.g. on sarcopenia, obesity, diabetes, neurological disorders and cancer
- Healthy food development
- Yang F, S. A. Oyeyinka, W Xu, Y Ma and Shaobo Zhou. In vitro bioaccessibility and physicochemical properties of phytosterol linoleic ester synthesized from soybean sterol and linoleic acid. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 2018, 92 (2), 265-271 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2018.02.031
- Li H, Xu W, Ma Y, Zhou S, Xiao R. Milk Fat Globule Membrane Protein Promotes C2C12 Cell Proliferation through the PI3K/Akt Signaling Pathway. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.04.026
- Jiang ZM, Qiu HB, Wang SQ, Shaobo Zhou Ganoderma acids potentiates anti-epilepsy roles via the antioxidant properties and protection of mitochondrial membrane. Die Pharmazie, 2018, 73 (2) 87-91 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1691/ph.2018.7108
- Xu WL, Mi YQ, Cui PJ, CuiYH, Liu JR, He SH, Shaobo Zhou. Gamma-tocotrienol stimulates the proliferation, differentiation and mineralization in osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells. Journal of Chemistry 2018 s https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3805932
- Li H, Xu W, Ma Y and Shaobo Zhou. (2017) Separation and purification of the bovine milk fat globule membrane protein and its effect on improvement of C2C12 mouse skeletal muscle cell proliferation. New Journal of Chemistry, 41, 6530-6539 ; 10.1039/C7NJ00560A
- Fernando J Shaobo Zhou. (2015) The role of zinc in renal pathological changes in diabetic status, J Nutrition Disorders Therapy 5: 165. doi:10.4172/2161- 0509.1000165
- Wang SQ, Li XJ, Qiu HB Jiang ZM, Simon M, Ma XR, Liu L, Liu JX, Wang FF, Liang YF, Wu JM, Di WH, Zhou S. (2014) Anti-epileptic effect of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides by inhibition of intracellular calcium accumulation and stimulation of expression of CaMKII α in epileptic hippocampal neurons. PLoS ONE 9(7): e102161. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0102161; www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0102161
- Song HJ, Wang JJ, Wang ML, Li LJ, Zhang TY, Shaobo Zhou. Antitumor effect of salidroside on mice bearing hepa hepatocellular carcinoma Latin American Journal of Pharmacy Lat. Am. J. Pharm. 2015; 34 (10): 1961-7
- Zhou S, S.Q. Wang, C. Y. Sun, H.Y. Mao, W. H. Di, X. R. Ma, L. Liu, J. X. Liu, F.F. Wang, P. Kelly, P. Sreenivasaprasad. Investigation into anti-epileptic effect and mechanisms of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides in in vivo and in vitro models. Proceedings of the Nutritional Society. 2015(74):E65
- Ahmed, R., Spikings E, Zhou S, Thompsett A, Zhang T, Pre-hybridisation: An efficient way of suppressing endogenous biotin-binding activity inherent to biotin–streptavidin detection system, J. Immunol. Methods. 2014, 406:143–147, dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jim.2014.03.010
- Song HJ, Wang JJ, Li LJ, Wang ML, Dong H, Luo WZ, Zhou S. Inhibition effects of paeonol on mice bearing EMT6 breast cancer through Inducing tumor cell apoptosis. Lat. Am. J. Pharm. 2014, 33 (1): 101-7
- Fan H.Y, Sun L, Li X.X, Zhou S, Liang J.C., Yan BY, Yu Land Deng Y.P. Effects of Jitail tablet, a traditional Chinese medicine, on plasma ACTH and cortisol levels in heroin addicts during abstinence. J Altern Complement Med., 2014; 20(7):527-34. doi: 10.1089/acm.2012.0804.
- Ou YT, Li QW, Wang JJ, Li K， Zhou S. Antitumor and Apoptosis Induction Effects of Paeonol on Mice Bearing EMT6 Breast Carcinoma. Biomolecules & Therapeutics 22(4), 341-346 (2014)
- Chen C, Hsu CC, Pei YC, Chen RL, Zhou S, Chen HH, Tsai WC. Changes of synovial fluid protein concentrations in supra-patellar bursitis patients after the injection of different molecular weight hyaluronic acids.Experimental Gerontology52 (2014) 30–35
- Wang SQ, Li XJ, ZhouS, Sun DX, Wang H, Cheng PF, Ma XR, Liu L, Liu JX, Wagn FF, Liang YF, Wu JM. Intervention Effects of Ganoderma Lucidum Spores on Epileptiform Discharge Hippocampal Neurons and Expression of Neurotrophin-4 and N-Cadherin. PLoS One. 2013;8(4):e61687. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0061687
- Zhou S, Salisbury J, Preedy VR, Emery PW. Increased collagen synthesis rate during wound healing in muscle. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e58324. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0058324
- Wang JJ, Li QW, Li K, Han ZS, Wang P, Zhou S. Recombination adenovirus-mediated human lactoferrin cDNA inhibits the growth of human MCF-7 breast cancer cells. J. Pharm. Pharmaco. 2012,64(3):457-463.
- Favé G, Beckmann M, Lloyd AJ, Zhou S, Harold G, Lin W, Tailliart K, Draper J Mathers J. Development and validation of a standardized protocol to monitor human dietary exposure by metabolite fingerprinting of urine samples Metabolomics 2011. 7 (4), 469-484,
- Wang JJ, Li QW, Ou YT, Han ZS,Li Q,Wang PH, Zhou S Recombinant Human lactoferrin mediated by adenovirus vectors inhibits tumor growth by inducing tumor cell apoptosis in mice bearing EMT6 breast cancer. Archives of Pharmacal Research, 2011 34 (6), 987-995,
- Lu Y, Zhou S and LI B, Environmental Hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) and Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) Exposure on Children in a Rural Area in North East of China. (Biomed Environ Sci. 2010 23(3):230-3)
- Fave G, S. Zhou, ME Beckmann, G. Harold,W. Lin,KN Tailliart, JH Draper and JC Mathers The MEtabolomics to characterise Dietary Exposure (MEDE) Study:kinetics of metabolite responses to a test breakfast. Proceedings of the Nutritional Society. 2010, 69: E87
- Tian Z,Li Z,Zhou S, Liang Y, Wang D, He D. Differentially expressed proteins of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells affected by Zilongjin, a complementary Chinese herbal medicine. Proteomics Clin Appl. 2010 , 4(5):550-9
- Yu S and Zhou S. Chapter 6, Special nutrition and dietary needs for people working in cold temperature. J-F Gu (edited). Scientific Publisher, Beijing
- Nicholas AP, Lubin FD, Hallett PJ, Vattem P, Ravenscroft P, Bezard E, Zhou S, Fox SH, Brotchie JM, Sweatt JD, Standaert DG. Striatal histone modifications in models of levodopa-induced dyskinesia. J Neurochem. 2008;106(1):486-94.
- Zhang T, Li Q,Li K, Li Y, Li J, Wang G, Zhou S. Anti-tumor Effects of Saponin from Patrinia villosa (Thunb.) Juss on Mice Bearing U14 Cervical Cancer. Phytother Res. 2008;22(5):640-5.
- Fernandez-Solà J, Preedy VR, Lang CH, Gonzalez-Reimers E, Arno M, Lin JC, Wiseman H, Zhou S, Emery PW, Nakahara T, Hashimoto K, Hirano M, Santolaria-Fernández F,González-Hernández T, Fatjó F, Sacanella E, Estruch R, Nicolás JM, Urbano-Márquez A,. Molecular and cellular events in alcohol-induced muscle disease. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2007, 31 (12):1953-62.
- Nadjar A, Brotchie J, Guigoni C, Li Q, Zhou S, Wang G, Ravenscroft P, Georges F, Crossman A, Bezard E. Phenotype of striatofugal medium spiny neurons in parkinsonian and dyskinetic non-human primates: a call for a reappraisal of the functional organization of the basal ganglia. J Neurosci. 2006 26(34):8653-61.
- Zhou S., Mann CJ., Dunn MJ., Preedy VR. Emery PW. Measurement of specific radioactivity in proteins separated by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Electrophoresis. 2006, 27, 1147-1153
- Zhou S., Bailey MJ., Dunn MJ., Preedy VR. Emery PW. A quantitative investigation into the losses of proteins at different stages of a two-dimensional gel electrophoresis procedure. Proteomics, 2005, 5:2739-2747
- Hallett PJ, Dunah AW, Ravenscroft P, Zhou S, Bezard E, Crossman AR, Brotchie JM, Standaert DG. Alterations of striatal NMDA receptor subunits associated with the development of dyskinesia in the MPTP-lesioned primate model of Parkinson's disease. Neuropharmacology, 2005, 48, 503-516
- Zhou S., Bailey MJ., Dunn MJ., Preedy VR, Emery PW, A systematic investigation in the recovery of radioactively labeled proteins from sodium dodecylsulfate-polyacrylamide gels. Electrophoresis. 2004, 25(1), 1-7
T: +44 (0)1582 743493
Food and Nutrition Science BSc Hons - view course description