Dr Elena Caoduro
Lecturer in Media Arts
I took up my position as Lecturer in Media Arts in September 2015 after teaching animation, film and media studies in different universities including Queen's University Belfast, University of Portsmouth and University of Southampton.
My main specialisms are in memory studies and European cinema. I have research interests in the representation of terrorism in film and television, nostalgia and retro cultures and fashion/costumes in cinema. I developed a keen interest in the cultural memory of left-wing terrorism in German and Italian cinema during my postgraduate studies.
The course units that I design and teach are primarily concerned with film history and theory and I enjoy adopting a creative student-led approach to teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- PhD Film Studies - University of Southampton
- Research MA Media Studies – University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- BA (Hons) Mass Communication – University of Padua, Italy
- Head of First Year BA (Hons.) Media Production
- Leading all of the film theory units from level 1- 3 of BA (Hons) Film Production
- Contemporary European Cinema
- Transnational Cinema
- Terrorism in Film & TV
BAFTSS (British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies) executive committee member
- with Stefano Baschiera (eds.), "The New Old: Archaisms and Anachronisms across Media", Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media, issue 12 (forthcoming)
- “Performing Reconciliation: Milan and the Memory of Piazza Fontana”, in Des O’Rawe and Mark Phelan, (eds.) Post-Conflict Performance, Film and Visual Arts: Cities of Memory (Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2016).
- with Stefano Baschiera “Vintage, Retro and Faux-Vintage: When Cinema Looks Back” NECSUS: European Journal of Media (Winter, December 2015) http://www.necsus-ejms.org/retro-faux-vintage-and-anachronism-when-cinema-looks-back/.
- with Beth Carroll (eds.)“Mondo-Pop: Remapping World Cinema through Popular Genres”, Frames Cinema Journal, Vol. 6, (December 2014).
- “Photo Filters Apps: Analogue Nostalgia and Digital Totemism”, Networking Knowledge: Journal of the MeCCSA-PGN 7.2 (Summer 2014): 67-82.
- “Tra ricordo e oblio: memoria culturale e nostalgia in La meglio gioventù (Marco Tullio Giordana, 2003) e Mio fratello è figlio unico (Daniele Lucchetti, 2007)”, in William Hope, Luciana D’Arcangeli and Silvana Serra (eds.) Un nuovo cinema politico italiano? Vol. II (Oxford: Troubadour, 2014): 63-72.
- “Face to Face with the Muslim ‘Other’. European Cinematic responses to Al-Qaeda”, Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media, Issue 1 (Summer, 2011).
T: +44 (0)1582 743452