Professor of Education
Following a career as a school teacher in secondary, primary and special schools, mainly in the East End of London, I have been involved in teacher education and professional development and, subsequently, research and development in teaching and learning in higher education.
I have directed a series of research council projects, most recently 'Ensemble: Semantic Technologies for the Enhancement of Case Based Learning', which has explored the potential of emerging web technologies to improve teaching and learning in higher education and pre-professional settings.
I am interested in emancipatory research approaches, particularly in workplace and interprofessional settings; research archiving and secondary analysis; and research ethics.
- BSc Geology (University College London)
- MSc History and Philosophy of Science (University College London)
- PhD Science Education (University of Leeds)
- PGCE Science Education (University of London Institute of Education)
- B.Ed (Hons) Primary Education (L6 Dissertations)
- MPhil/PhD supervision
- I have taught at all levels of the UK education system from early years, through primary and secondary, undergraduate, taught postgraduate and research supervision, to advanced research methods courses.
- Technologies in teaching, learning and research, and the practices and discourses that accompany them
- Interdisciplinary, interprofessional and interagency working
- Students as researchers in higher education
- The role of archives, museums and galleries in education
- Radical, emancipatory and autonomist Marxist approaches to education
- INEDU: Innovate, Educate, Awake (European Commission Erasmus+ 2016-2018)
- Enhancing Reflection in Clinical Legal Education (Legal Education Research Network 2015-2016)
- Ontology-Based Assessment in Accounting and Finance (ACCA/IAESB, 2011-2012)
- Ensemble: Semantic Technologies for the Enhancement of Case Based Learning (ESRC/EPSRC, 2008-2011)
- A Social and Professional Network for Early Career Researchers in Education (ESRC, 2008-2009)
- Learning Landscapes Project (Higher Education Academy, 2007-2008)
- Teaching for Learning Network (Cambridge MIT Institute, 2006-2008)
- Transforming Perspectives: Technology to Support Teaching and Learning of Threshold Concepts (ESRC, 2006-2007)
- Representing Context in a Research Archive of Educational Evaluations (ESRC, 2005-2006)
- Online Impact Evaluation (National College of School Leadership, 2005-2006)
- Sakai: A Virtual Research Environment for Educational Research (JISC, 2004-2006)
- Learning how to Learn: in Classrooms, Schools and Networks (ESRC, 2001-2005)
For a full list of projects, see www.patrickcarmichael.co.uk
- Director of Research Development
- Chair of University Research Ethics Committee
- Editorial Board Member, Education 3-13
- External Examiner, University of East Anglia
- Member of ESRC Peer Review College
- Expert Reviewer for European Commission
- Peer Reviewer for Australian Research Council
A full list of publications, conference papers and presentations is available at www.patrickcarmichael.co.uk
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles (since 2010)
- Tracy, F. and Carmichael, P. (2010) Research Ethics and Participatory Research in an Interdisciplinary Technology-Enhanced Learning Project International Journal of Research and Method in Education33(3) 245–257.
- Carmichael, P. (2010) Threshold concepts, disciplinary differences and cross-disciplinary discourse Learning and Teaching in Higher Education: Gulf Perspectives 7(2) 53-72.
- Carmichael, P. and Burchmore, H. (2010) Social Software and Academic Practice: Postgraduate Students as Co-Designers of Web 2.0 Tools The Internet and Higher Education 14(3) 233-241.
- Carmichael, P. (2011) Tribes, Territories and Threshold Concepts: Educational Materialisms at Work in Higher Education Educational Philosophy and Theory 43 (1) 31-42.
- Carmichael, P. (2011) Cultures of Inquiry in Technology Enhanced Learning and Beyond International Review of Qualitative Research4(2) 293-313.
- Carmichael, P. (2011) 'Research Capacity Building in Education: the Role of Digital Archives' British Journal of Educational Studies 59(3) 323-339.
- Martinez-Garcia, A., Morris, S., Tracy, F., Tscholl, M. and Carmichael, P. (2012) Case Based Learning, Pedagogical Innovation and Semantic Web Technologies IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies 5(2) 104-116.
- Carmichael, P. and Jordan, K. (2012) Semantic web technologies for education – time for a 'turn to practice'? Technology, Pedagogy and Education 21(2) 153-169 .
- Edwards, R. and Carmichael, P. (2012) 'Secret Codes: The Hidden Curriculum of Semantic Web Technologies' Discourse 33(4) 575-590.
- Carmichael, P. and Tscholl, M. (2013) 'Cases, Simulacra and Semantic Web Technologies' Journal of Computer Assisted Learning29(1) 31-42 .
- Litherland, K., Carmichael, P. and Martinez-Garcia, A. (2013) Ontology-based e-assessment for accounting: Outcomes of a pilot study and future prospects Journal of Accounting Education 31(2) 162-176.
- Litherland, K., Carmichael, P. and Martinez-Garcia, A. (2013) Ontology-based e-Assessment for Accounting Education Accounting Education 22(5) 498-501.
- Carmichael, C. and Carmichael, P. (2014) BNCI Systems as a potential Assistive Technology: ethical issues and participatory research in the BrainAble Project Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology 9(1) 41-47.
- Carmichael, P. (2015). Not Just About Gadgets: time, innovation and change in the design of learning technologies E-Learning and Digital Media 12(3-4): 279-294.
- Tracy, F. and Carmichael, P. (2017) Disrupting the dissertation: Linked data, enhanced publication and algorithmic culture E-Learning and Digital Media 14(3) 164–182.
- Carmichael, P. (2017) ‘Secondary Qualitative Analysis with Internet Resources’ in: Blank, G., Fielding, N. and Lee, R. (eds.) The Handbook of Online Research Methods, 2nd Edition (London: Sage) pp. 509-524.
- Carmichael, P. and Litherland, K. (2012) 'Transversality and Innovation: Prospects for Technology-Enhanced Learning in Times of Crisis' in: Cole, D. (ed) Surviving Economic Crises through Education (New York: Peter Lang) pp. 95-114.
- Martinez-Garcia, A., Carmichael, P. and Tscholl, M. (2012) 'Las posibilidades de las tecnologías de Web semántica en la enseñanza y aprendizaje. Las experiencias de Ensemble' in Sanchez Vera, M.M. and Fernandez Breis, J. (eds.) Web Semántica: Aplicaciones prácticas para la educación (Madrid: Dykinson) pp.89-123.
- Stott, T.A., Litherland, K., Carmichael, P., Nuttall, A. (2014). 'Using Interactive Virtual Field Guides and Linked Data in Geoscience Teaching and Learning' in Tong, V.C.H. (ed) Geoscience Research and Education: Teaching at Universities (London: Springer) pp. 163-188.
- McCormick, R., Fox, A., Carmichael, P. and Procter, R. (2010) Researching and Understanding Educational Networks (London, Routledge & EARLI)
- Carmichael, P. (2011) Networking Research: New Directions in Educational Inquiry (London, Continuum)