Professor Emeritus of Education
Following a career as a school teacher in secondary, primary and special schools, mainly in the East End of London, I have been involved initial teacher education and professional development and, subsequently, in research and development in teaching and learning in higher education. I was Professor of Education and then Director of Research Development at the University of Bedfordshire, prior to taking early retirement in 2018.
I have directed a series of research projects, including the major ESRC project 'Ensemble: Semantic Technologies for the Enhancement of Case Based Learning' (2008-2012), which explored the potential of emerging web technologies to improve teaching and learning in higher education and pre-professional settings.
My more recent work, which draws on perspectives from autonomist Marxism and critical pedagogy, has been concerned with the relationship between education and work as marketisation, casualisation, and automation become more common. I am a research affiliate of Autonomy (autonomy.work) , an independent think-tank concerned with the future of work.
- BSc Geology (University College London, 1984)
- PGCE Science Education (University of London Institute of Education, 1985)
- MSc History and Philosophy of Science (University College London, 1987)
- PhD Science Education (University of Leeds, 1992)
I have taught at all levels of the UK education system from early years, through primary and secondary, undergraduate, taught postgraduate and research supervision, to advanced research methods courses. I am available to provide postgraduate research student supervision in areas related to my own research and writing.
- Technologies in teaching, learning and research
- Interdisciplinary, interprofessional and interagency working
- Participatory research, design and evaluation
- Students as researchers in higher education
- The role of digital archives, museums and galleries in education
- Radical, emancipatory and autonomist approaches to education
Selected Research Projects
- Enhancing Reflection in Clinical Legal Education (Legal Education Research Network 2015-2016)
- Ontology-Based Assessment in Accounting and Finance (ACCA/IAESB, 2011-2012)
- Ensemble: Semantic Technologies for the Enhancement of Case Based Learning (ESRC/EPSRC, 2008-2012)
- A Social and Professional Network for Early Career Researchers in Education (ESRC, 2008-2009)
- Learning Landscapes Project (Higher Education Academy, 2007-2008)
- Teaching for Learning Network (Cambridge MIT Institute, 2006-2008)
- Transforming Perspectives: Technology to Support Teaching and Learning of Threshold Concepts (ESRC, 2006-2007)
- Representing Context in a Research Archive of Educational Evaluations (ESRC, 2005-2006)
- Online Impact Evaluation (National College of School Leadership, 2005-2006)
- Sakai: A Virtual Research Environment for Educational Research (JISC, 2004-2006)
- Learning how to Learn: in Classrooms, Schools and Networks (ESRC, 2001-2005)
For a full list of projects, see www.patrickcarmichael.co.uk
- Reviewer and evaluator for the ESRC and EPSRC, the Australian Research Council, and the European European Commission
- Board Member, Education 3-13
- Board Member, Post-Digital Science and Education
- Research Affiliate, Autonomy
A full list of publications, conference papers and presentations is available at www.patrickcarmichael.co.uk
- McCormick, R., Fox, A., Carmichael, P. and Procter, R. (2010) Researching and Understanding Educational Networks (London: Routledge & EARLI).
- Carmichael, P. (2011) Networking Research: New Directions in Educational Inquiry (London: Continuum).
- Carmichael, P. (2019 forthcoming) Education, Inquiry and Activism (Leiden: Sense/Brill)
- Carmichael, P. and Litherland, K. (2012) 'Transversality and Innovation: Prospects for Technology-Enhanced Learning in Times of Crisis' in: Cole, D. (ed) Surviving Economic Crises through Education (New York: Peter Lang).
- Carmichael, P. (2017) Secondary Qualitative Analysis with Internet Resources in : Blank, G., Fielding, N. and Lee, R. (eds.) The Handbook of Online Research Methods, 2nd Edition (London: Sage)
- Carmichael, P. (2019 forthcoming) ‘Refusal of Work, Liberation of Time and the Convivial University’ in: Peters, M., Jandric, P. and Means, A. (eds.) Education and Technological Unemployment (Dordrecht: Springer)
- Tracy, F. and Carmichael, P. (2020 forthcoming) ‘Networked Learning, Data Literacies and Politicised Inquiry’ in Dohn, N., Jandrić, P., de Laat, M. and Ryberg, T. (Eds.) Politics, Agency and Data in Networked Learning (Dordrecht: Springer)
- Carmichael, P. and Jordan, K. (2012) Semantic web technologies for education – time for a 'turn to practice'? Technology, Pedagogy and Education 21(2) 153-169.
- Edwards, R. and Carmichael, P. (2012) Secret Codes: The Hidden Curriculum of Semantic Web Technologies Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education 33(4) 575-590.
- Carmichael, P. (2015) Not Just About Gadgets: time, innovation and change in the design of learning technologies E-Learning and Digital Media 12(3-4) pp.279-294.
- Tracy, F. and Carmichael, P. (2017) Disrupting the dissertation: linked data, enhanced publication and algorithmic culture E-Learning and Digital Media 14(3) 164-182.