Principal Lecturer in Physical Education and BA QTS PE Course Leader
My lifelong passion is Physical Education. Following my Initial Teacher Training at Bedford College of Physical Education in the 1970s I worked as a Physical Education teacher and subsequently Head of Department in Hertfordshire for 22 years.
During this time I developed an interest in mentoring trainee Physical Education teachers and through this interest began an MA course at De Montfort University Bedford.
In January 2000 I was appointed as Senior Lecturer at De Montfort University. My main responsibilities centred on teaching and subsequently leading the Physical Education ITT undergraduate programme. More recently my role has been portfolio leader for postgraduate ITE courses and secondary lead for Ofsted.
My main teaching contributions are to the professional and pedagogical elements of both the undergraduate and postgraduate PE courses. I remain an active participant in swimming, cycling and playing golf when time permits.
- Certificate in Education
- MA Educational Studies
- Foundations for Teaching Learning and Inclusion; Teaching for Learning; Teaching Learning and Assessment; Teaching Accredited Courses; The Reflective Practitioner; Entering the Profession; The Action Research Project
- PGCE Physical Education
- Subject link tutor
- Assessment in physical education
- Investigating factors influencing student PE teachers teaching and their development as a teacher
- Investigating student lesson planning
- MESH Map project
- Lesson planning project with Brunel University
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- I am a trustee and the secretary of Bedford Physical Education Old Students Association. (Registered Charity No. 290930)
- Our organisation has an educational projects fund that grants bursaries to individuals or groups. The fund is available to anyone who is undertaking a project which is concerned with the advancement of physical education, dance or sport. The results or findings should be disseminated to enable public benefit.
- In 2003 I was an invited speaker at Beijing Normal University Physical Education and Sport Conference 2003 where I gave a paper and ran a workshop for Chinese Physical Education Teachers.
- I have been a board member for afPE East since its creation in 2008. The board organises annual professional development events for the Eastern region.
- External examiner Wolverhampton
- Newton, A. and Bowler, M. (2015) "Assessment for and of Learning" in Capel, S and Whitehead, M. (Eds) Learning to Teach PE in the Secondary School 4th Edition
- Bowler,M., Bassett, S, and Newton, A.(2014) "Assessing pupils' learning" in Capel, S. and Breckon, P. (eds.) A Practical Guide to Teaching Physical Education in the Secondary School, 2nd edition, Abingdon: Routledge
- Bassett, S., Bowler, M. and Newton, A. (2013) "Schemes of work, units of work and lesson planning" in Capel, S., Leask, M. and Turner, T. (eds.) Learning to Teach in the Secondary School: A Companion to School Experience, 6th edition, Abingdon: Routledge
- Newton, A. and Bassett, S. (2013) Physical Literacy in Initial Teacher Education: The International Council of Sport Science and Physical Education Bulletin.
- Newton, A. and Bowler, M. (2010) "Assessment for and of PE" in Capel, S and Whitehead, M. (Eds) (2010) Learning to Teach PE in the Secondary School, 3rd Edition, Abingdon: Routledge
- Lockwood, A. and Newton, A. (2004) "Observation Of Pupils in PE" in Capel, S. (ed.) Learning to Teach PE in the Secondary School: A Companion to School Experience, 2nd edition, London: Routledge Falmer
T: +44 (0)1234 793387
Our Tweets: @UoB_TE
Sep 21, 2021
Sep 21, 2021
Sep 19, 2021
Sep 19, 2021
Sep 17, 2021
Sep 16, 2021
Sep 15, 2021
Sep 14, 2021