Dr Steve Connolly
Senior Lecturer in Teacher Education
After spending 18 years as a teacher, Head of Department and Senior Leader in secondary schools in London, I took up my position as Lecturer in Education in January 2015.
During my teaching career I taught a range of subjects including English and Drama, but became increasingly interested in both Media Education and the application of technology in the classroom.
Research Interests include:
- Media Education and Media Literacy
- Academic and Vocational routes through Arts Education
- Technology and Literacy
- Learning Processes - cognitive, social, critical and cultural
- Philosophy of Education - particularly epistemology and curriculum
- PhD - Media Education, Institute of Education, London
- MA - Media Education, Institute of Education, London
- PGCE - Secondary English, De Montfort University, Leicester
- BA (Hons) - Philosophy and American Studies, University of Nottingham
Research Projects and Reports
- Connolly, S. (2016) "Report on new draft GCSE, AS and A-Level Media and Film Specifications" [PDF] Media Education Association
- Burn, A., Connolly, S., Rice, J., Macnab, L., Pearce, M., (2015) '"Ministry of Stories: Story Engine Research & Development Report" [PDF]. London: Nesta.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Connolly, S. (2018) "W(h)ither Media in English?" in Goodwyn, A., Durrant, C., Sawyer, W., Zancanella, D. & Scherff, E. (eds.). The Future of English teaching worldwide and its histories: celebrating 50 years from the Dartmouth conference. London, Routledge
- Connolly, S. & Readman, M. (2017) Towards "Creative Media Literacy" International Handbook of Media Literacy Education. De Abreu, B., Mihailidis, P., Yee, A., Melki, J. & McDougall,J. (eds) Routledge. Oxford.
- Connolly, S (2013) "Media Education: A Tool for Social Inclusion". Current Perspectives in Media Education. P. Fraser and J. Wardle. Palgrave McMillan. London.
- Connolly, S. (2008). "Using video production work to teach about the language of the Moving Image." Media Teaching: Language, Audience and Production. A. Burn and C. Durrant. Kent Town, South Australia, Wakefield Press.
T: +44 (0)1582 743233