Principal Lecturer in Business Systems
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering - Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU), China
- MSc in Systems Engineering - Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU)
- PhD in Systems Thinking and Change Management - University of Bedfordshire, with a full scholarship
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Digital Analytics
- Management information systems
- e-Commerce and e-Business
- Information for management decision making
- Business research Methods
- Contemporary management
- Big data and business analytics
- The business value of information technology
- R&D and Innovation
- Systems thinking
- Strategic IT alignment
- IT-enabled change management
- Supervised PhD to Completion: Five
- PhD Examined: Four
- “Pilot Study to Evaluate the Teaching Quality and Student Learning Experience of an Innovative Approach for Masters Programmes at UBBS” (January-July 2017, investigator) - £3,800
- “Marketing Analytics and Its Impact on Firm Performance: Evidence from UK Firms” (January-July 2017, principal investigator) - £2,480
- “Understanding the critical success factors for Learning Analytics success from an IT affordance perspective” (January-July 2017, investigator) - £2,418
- “Understanding the Impact of Business Analytics on Decision-Making Effectiveness”, BMRI Internal Project Funding, University of Bedfordshire (December 2013-July 2014) (Principal Investigator) - £2,500
- The Rising Star Programme, University of Bedfordshire (June 2012 – June 2013) (Principal investigator) - £8,700
- Research Investment Programme, University of Bedfordshire (January 2012 – July 2012) (co-investigator) - £20,000
- JISC Transformations Programme (December 2011 –July 2013) (project investigator) - £15,000
- Change Management in the Aviation Industry, Chines Aviation Research Foundation (1995-1996) (Principal Investigator) – CNY15,000
- Strategic Decision-making Systems, The National Natural Science Foundation of China (1990-1993) (co-investigator) – CNY25,000
- Computer-Aided Activity Network Analysis, The National Natural Science Foundation of China (1985-1990) (co-investigator) – CNY35,000
Refereed Journal Articles
- Cao, G., Duan, Y. and El Banna, A. 2018. A Dynamic Capability View of Marketing Analytics: Evidence from UK Firms, Industrial Marketing Management (accepted) doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2018.08.002 (ABS 3).
- Duan, D.; Cao, C. and Edwards, J. 2018. Understanding the Impact of Business Analytics on Innovation, European Journal of Operational Research (accepted) doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2018.06.021 (ABS 4).
- Ramanathan, R.; Duan, D. and Cao G. 2017. Adoption of business analytics and impact on performance: A qualitative study in retail, Production Planning and Control, 28(11-12): 985-998 (ABS 3).
- Cao, G. and Duan, Y. 2017. How Do Top- and Bottom-Performing Companies Differ in Using Business Analytics? Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 30(6):874-892 (ABS 2).
- Ali, A., Bentley, Y., Cao, G., Farooq, H. 2017. Green Supply Chain Management - Food for Thought? International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 20(1):22-38 (ABS 1).
- Cao, G., Duan, Y., Cadden, T. and Minocha, S. 2016. Systemic Capabilities: The Source of IT Business Value, Information Technology & People, 29(3): 556-579 (ABS 3).
- Cao, G., Duan, Y. and Li, G. 2015. Linking Business analytics to Decision making effectiveness: A Path model analysis, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 62(3): 384 – 395 (ABS 3).
- Bentley, Y., Cao, G. and Lehaney, B. 2013. The Application of Critical Systems Thinking to Enhance the Effectiveness of a University Information System, Systemic Practice and Action Research, 26:451-465 (ABS 2).
- Cadden, T., Marshall, D. and Cao, G. 2013. Opposites Attract: The influence of organisational culture on supply chain performance, Supply Chain Management: an International Journal, 18(1): 86-103 (ABS 3).
- Wiengarten, F., Humphreys, P. and Cao, G. 2013. Exploring the Important Role of Organizational Factors in IT Business Value: Taking a Contingency Perspective on the Resource-Based View, International Journal of Management Review, 15(1): 30-46 (ABS 3).
- Cao, G., Wiengarten, F. and Humphreys, P. 2011. Towards a Contingency Resource-Based View of IT Business Value, Systemic Practice and Action Research, 24(1): 85-106 (ABS 2).
- Wiengarten, F., Humphreys, P. and Cao, G. 2010. Collaborative supply chain practices and performance: Exploring the key role of information quality, Supply Chain Management, 15(6): 463-473 (ABS 3).
- Cao, G. 2010. A four-dimensional view of IT business value, Systems Research and Behavioral Science, 27(3): 267-284 (ABS 2).
- Cao, G. 2007. The Pattern-matching Role of Systems Thinking in Improving Research Trustworthiness, Systemic Practice and Action Research, 20(6): 441-453 (ABS 2).
- Cao, G. and McHugh, M. 2005. A Systemic View of Change Management and Its Conceptual Underpinnings, Systemic Practice and Action Research, 18 (5): 475-490 (ABS 2).
- Cao, G., Clarke, S. and Lehaney, B. 2004. The need for a systemic approach to change management—a case study, Systemic Practice and Action Research, 17(2): 103-126 (ABS 2).
- Cao, G., Clarke, S. and Lehaney, B. 2003. Diversity management in organizational change: towards a systemic framework, Systems Research and Behavioral Science, 20(3): 231-242 (ABS 2).
- Cao, G., Clarke, S. and Lehaney, B. 1999. Towards systemic management of diversity in organizational change, Strategic Change, 8(4): 205-216 (ABS 2).
Selected Refereed Conference Papers (2017-18)
- Cao, G., Duan, Y. and El Banna, A. 2018. The Impact of Marketing Analytics on Firm Competitiveness: A Dynamic Capability View. 2018 International Conference on Business and Information, July 6-8, 2018, Seoul, Korea.
- Cao, G., Duan, Y., El Banna, A. and Cadden, T. 2018. The Configurational Impact of Top Management Team Characteristics on Marketing Analytics Use in SME: A Fuzzy-Set Qualitative Comparative Analysis. The 11th International Conference on Information Resources Management, University of Nottingham Ningbo China, June 4-6, 2018
- Ramanathan U. and Cao, G. 2017. Role of data analytics in supply chain collaborations. The Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) 2017 International Conference in Sydney, Australia, December 12-14, 2017
- Cao, G., Duan, Y. and El Banna, A. 2017. Antecedents and Outcomes of Marketing Analytics: Evidence from UK Firms. The 23rd Americas Conference on Information Systems, Boston, MA, August 10-12, 2017.
- Kika, C, Duan, Y. and Cao, G. 2017. The Use and Critical Success Factors of Learning Analytics: An Organisational Absorptive Capacity Analysis. The 23rd Americas Conference on Information Systems, Boston, MA, August 10-12, 2017.
- Cao, G. and Duan, Y. 2017. Understanding Learning Analytics from an IT Affordance Perspective. The 21st Pacific-Asia Conference on Information Systems 2017, Langkawi Malaysia, 16-20 July, 2017.
- Duan, Y and Cao, G. The Effect of Environmental Dynamism on Business Analytics and Decision-Making. The 5th International Conference on Research and Innovation in Information Systems (ICRIIS2017), Langkawi Malaysia, 16-17 July, 2017.
- Kofinas, A., Bentley, Y., Minett-Smith, C. and Cao. G. 2017. Block Teaching as the Basis for an Innovative Redesign of the PG Suite of Programmes in University of Bedfordshire Business School. 3rd International Conference on Higher Education Advances (HEAd’17), Valencia, Spain, June 21 – 23, 2017.
- Bentley, Y., Cao, G. and Bentley, R. 2017. Investigating the impact of change in oil price on global logistics and supply chain activities. The 24th EurOMA Conference, Edinburgh, 1st – 5th July, 2017.
- Ali, A., Bentley, Y., and Cao, G. 2017. Environmental practices in UK food supply chains: Role of supplier collaboration. The Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) 28th Annual Conference, Seattle, the USA , 5th–8th May 2017.
- Kika, C., Duan, Y. and Cao, G. 2016. Understanding the factors affecting the use of Learning Analytics in the UK Higher Education Sector, EARLI 2017 in University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland, August 29th - September 2nd 2017.
T: +44 (0)1582 489673