Principal Research Fellow
I have research experience in the life course epidemiology of chronic diseases, including cancer, mental illness, chronic pain, international health, and end of life care.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health.
In recent years, two first-authored papers (presentation) won prizes in national and international conferences, respectively. I was also invited to present my paper as the cover figure in the International Journal of Cancer by the 2008 Nobel Laureate in Medicine. In addition, my paper about childhood behaviour and chronic widespread pain was the subject of a press release organised by the Oxford Rheumatology journal and received extensive press coverage. My earlier paper about parental smoking and childhood cancer has considerable impact and has received good comments from Sir Richard Doll.
I lecture and coordinate 2 units for the MSc in Public Health: Public Health Epidemiology and Public Health Intelligence and I am a supervisor for MSc Public Health and PhD students.
I am a grant reviewer for major research councils in the UK and the Department of Health, National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia and the National Science Foundation of China. I am also a journal reviewer for Rheumatology, Arthritis Care & Research, Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, the International Journal of Cancer and Cancer Causes and Control.
I am pleased to consider applications from prospective PhD students or potential research collaboration from clinicians.
- I obtained a PhD in Epidemiology (Birmingham), Master's degree and Bachelor's degree in Public Health (China).
- Module-coordinator and lecturer on Public Health Epidemiology for MSc Public Health degree
- Module-coordinator and lecturer on Public Health Intelligence for MSc Public Health degree
- MSc supervisor
- PhD supervisor
- Life-course epidemiology of chronic diseases, including cancer, mental illness, chronic pain, and International health.
- Health Service Research
- Methodology in Epidemiology
Recent Research Projects
- Modelling approach of chronic disease
- Palliative assessment tools in predicting the remaining life in "end of life care"
- Low back pain and occupational risk factors in coal miners and teachers
- Prenatal risk factors and childhood cancer
- A systematic review of aetiological studies of penile cancer
- Long-term health effects following viral infection in utero: a cohort study of 6152 subjects.
Service to the Academic/Professional Community
- Fellow of Royal Statistical Society
- Fellow of Royal Society of Public Health
Recent Conference Presentations
- Guangxing Xu, Li-Ping Li, Fengying Liu, Desheng Pei, Wang Sheng and Dong Pang. Low back pain and occupational risk factors among coal miners in China. British Society of Rheumatology, Brighton, 2011
- Guangxing Xu, Li-Ping Li, Fengying Liu, Desheng Pei, Sheng Wang, Dong Pang. Influence of occupational factors on regional musculoskeletal disorders in coal miners. British Society of Rheumatology, Brighton, 2011.
- Fengying Liu, Li-Ping Li, Guangxing Xu, Sheng Wang, Dong Pang. Work-related musculoskeletal diseases among school teachers in China. British Society of Rheumatology, Brighton, 2011.
- Chris Littlejohn, Dong Pang, Chris Power, Gary J Macfarlane and Gareth Jones. Is there an association between low birthweight or premature birth, and adult chronic widespread pain? International Symposium on Pediatric Pain, Mexico, 2010
- Sally Lawton, Lisa Macaulay, David Carroll, Gordon Linklater, Dong Pang Accuracy of palliative assessment tools in Grampian patients. 2010 National Cancer Research Institute annual meeting. Liverpool.
- Sally Lawton, Lisa Macaulay, David Carroll, Gordon Linklater, Dong Pang. Using the Palliative Performance Scale to provide meaningful survival estimates for palliative patients in Grampian. Scottish Partnership for Palliative Care annual meeting. 2010. Edinburgh
- Pang D, Rowan S, Moran A, Eden TOB and Birch JM. Late mortality among five-year survivors of cancer in teenagers and young adults in England. The American Association Cancer Research Annual Meeting , San Diego, 2008.
- Pang D, Gareth T. Jones, Chris Power, and Gary J. Macfarlane. Lifecourse influences on chronic widespread pain in adulthood: childhood behaviour. British Pain Society Annual Meeting, London, 2009
- Birch JM, Rowan S, Moran A, Eden TOB and Pang D. Late mortality among five-year survivors of cancer in teenagers and young adults in England. The European Cancer Conference, 14th annual meeting, Barcelona, 2007.
- Pang D, Alston R, Rowan S, Moran A, Kelsey AM, Eden TOB, and Birch JM. Survival from cancer in teenagers and young adults in England: a national population-based study. Annual Conference of United Kingdom Association of Cancer Registries, Amsterdam, Holland, 18-20th October 2006.
- Pang D, Alston R, Kelsey A and Birch JM. Cancer incidence in relatives of children with osteosarcomas and chondrosarcomas. International Society of Paediatric Oncology, 38th Congress Meeting, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006.
- Pang D, Alston R, Kelsey A and Birch JM. Patterns and risks of cancer in parents of children with germ cell tumours. International Society of Paediatric Oncology, 38th Congress Meeting, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006
- Pang D, Alston R, Kelsey A and Birch JM. Cancer incidence in relatives of children with osteosarcomas and chondrosarcomas. National Cancer Research Institute Conference, Birmingham, 2006.
- Pang D, Alston R, Kelsey A and Birch JM. Cancer incidence in families of children with embryonal and alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma included in Manchester Children Tumour Registry. International Sarcoma Meeting Stuttgart, Germany, June 15-17, 2005.
- Pang D, Alston R and Birch JM. Cancer risks among relatives of childhood lymphoma included in the Manchester Children's Tumour Registry. International Society of Pediatric Oncology, 36th annual meeting, September 16-19, Oslo, 2004.
- Pang D and Birch JM. Breast cancer incidence among mothers of a population-based series of 2604 children with cancer: evidence of mother-fetal interaction. The European Cancer Conference, 12th annual meeting, Copenhagen, 2003.
- Pang D, McNally R, Kelsey A and Birch JM. Cancer incidence and mortality among the parents of a population-based series of 2604 children with cancer. International Society of Pediatric Oncology, 34th annual meeting, Porto, September 18-21, 2002
- Bailey DP, Fairclough SJ, Savory LA, Denton SJ, Pang D, Deane CS, Kerr CJ. Accelerometry-assessed sedentary behaviour and physical activity levels during the segmented school day in 10-14-year-old children: the HAPPY study. Eur J Pediatr. 2012;171(12):1805-13.
- Gordon Linklater, Sally Lawton, Shona Fielding, Lisa Macaulay,David Carroll, Dong Pang. Introducing the Palliative Performance Scale (PPS) to clinicians: the Grampian Experience. BMJ Supportive & Palliative care. 2(2), 2012: 121-126
- Guangxing Xu, Dong Pang, Fengying Liu, Desheng Pei, Sheng Wang, Liping Li. Prevalence of low back pain and associated occupational factors among Chinese coal miners. BMC Public Health, 12, 2012:149
- Littlejohn C, Pang D, Power C, Macfarlane GJ, Jones GT. Is there an association between preterm birth or low birthweight and chronic widespread pain? Results from the 1958 Birth Cohort Study. Eur J Pain. 16 (1), 2012:134-139.
- Gordon Linklater, Sue Barton, Sally Lawton, Dong Pang. The use of the Palliative Performance in individuals with dementia and frailty. http://ageing.oxfordjournals.org/forum/topic/ageing_el%3b154. 2011
- Pang D, Jones G, Power C, and MacFarlane GJ. Influence of childhood behaviour on the reporting of chronic widespread pain in adulthood: results from the 1958 British Birth Cohort Study. Rheumatology, 49(10): 2010: 1882-8.
- N Basu, GT Jones, N Fluck, AG MacDonald, D Pang, P Dospinescu, DM Reid, GJ Macfarlane. Fatigue: A Principal Contributor to Impaired Quality of Life in ANCA-Associated Vasculitis. Rheumatology, 49(7): 2010:1383-90.
- Pang D, Syed S, Fine P and Jones PB. No association between prenatal viral infection and depression in later life - a long-term cohort study of 6152 subjects. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 54(8), 2009:79
- Liu J and Pang D. Financial constraints and company investment decisions in transitional China. Managerial and Decision Economics. Managerial and Decision Economics. 30(2), 2009
- Sorahan T, Pang D, Esmen N and Sadhra S. The method for adjusting urinary concentration of toxic substances for differences in specific gravity of the samples. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 5(11), 2008:721.
- Birch JM, Pang D, Alston R, Rowan S, Moran A, Kelsey AM, and Eden TOB. Survival from cancer in teenagers and young adults in England: a national population-based study. British Journal of Cancer, 99(5), 2008:830.
- Pang D, Alston R, Eden T and Birch JM. Cancer risks among relatives of children with Hodgkin disease and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. International Journal of Cancer, 123(6), 2008:1407.
- Pang D, Evans G and Birch JM. Elevated breast cancer risk among mothers of a population-based series of 2668 children with cancer. ecancermedicalscience, 1( 57), 2008: DOI: 10.3332/eCMS.2007.57
Institute of Health Research
University of Bedfordshire
Putteridge Bury campus
T: +44 (0) 1582 743252