Senior Lecturer in Public Health
I joined the University of Bedfordshire as a Senior Lecturer in Public Health in 2012. Currently, I lead two postgraduate academic modules on Public Health Policies and Global Health Perceptives. I supervise PhD thesis and MSc dissertations. I am a visiting lecturer at the University of Leeds and external examiner for Coventry University and University of Central Lancashire.
Previously, I held research posts for several British and international universities in the public health field including health and lifestyle, chronic diseases, health and inequality and health and diversity. I have many publications in peer reviewed journals.
My research interests are within the areas of health and lifestyle, chronic diseases, inequalities and health and mental health. I have explored these areas locally, nationally and internationally. Some of the recent research projects I was involved in include sickle cell and education, forced migration and mental health and community health interventions.
In my teaching, I use participatory techniques and encourage students to debate issues and stimulate discussion to build their abilities to be creative and critical thinkers. I believe in the importance of involving people and sharing knowledge to overcome obstacles and to create sustainable change and a brighter future.
- PgCAP Fellow of the Higher Education Academy UK. (University of Bedfordshire,2013-2014)
- PhD “Violence Among Palestinian Secondary School Students”. (Graduate School of Education, University of Bristol, 1998-2002).
- MA “The Role of Community Health Workers in Primary Health Care, Case of Palestine”. (Development Studies (Women, Health and Development), (Development Centre and Nuffield Institute of Health, Leeds University, 1991-1992)
- BA Sociology, (Department of Sociology, University of Birzeit, 1983-1987)
- Teach and lead the following two academic units for postgraduate students:
- Public Health Policies, Principles and Issues
- Global Health Perspectives
- PhD supervisor (3 student)
- MSc Public Health dissertation supervisor
- Personal tutor for postgraduate students
- Global Health
- Health and lifestyle
- Inequalities and health
- Ethnicity and health
- Violence and youth
Service to the Academic/Professional Community
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Faculty of Public Health
- PTS panel review member, University of Bedfordshire
- Reviewers for several peer review academic journals
- External Examiner for the Coventry University and University of Central Lancashire
- Alhaboby, Z. A., Barnes, J. Evans, H. Short, E. (Under Review). Cyber Victimisation of People with Chronic Conditions and Disabilities: A Systematic Review of Scope and Impact. Trauma, Violence & Abuse: A Review Journal.
- Alhaboby, Z. A., Barnes, J. Evans, H. Short, E. Zhraa (Accepted for publication) Cyber-Victimisation of People with Disabilities: Challenges Facing Online Research Cyberpsychology. Journal of Psychosocial Research on Cyberspace.
- Alhaboby, Z. A., Evans, H., Barnes, J. and Short, E. (Accepted for publication). Disability and Cyber Victimisation. MediAbility Book Collection. McFarland Press.
- Evans, H. (2015). International postgraduate students and peer learning. Journal of Pedagogic Development. 5(3) Pp.32-43 journals.beds.ac.uk/ojs/index.php/jpd/article/view/227
- Adeoye-Agboola, D. and Evans, H. (2015) The Relationship Between Anxiety and Academic Performance of Postgraduate International Students in a British University: A Cross-Sectional Quantitative Design, Science Journal of Public Health. 3(3) pp. 331-338. www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/journal/paperinfo.aspx?journalid=251&doi=10.11648/j.sjph.20150303.15
- Getanda, E., Papadopoulos, C. & Evans, H. (2015). The quality of life of internally displaced persons living in Nakuru, Kenya. BMC Public Health. 15 PP. www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/15/755
- Anthony, D; Baggott, R; Tanner, J; Jones, K; Evans, H; Perkins, G; and Palmer, H; (2012) Health, lifestyle, belief and knowledge differences between two ethnic groups with specific reference to tobacco, diet and physical activity. Journal of Advance Nursing. PP 1365-2648.
- Dyson, S. M.; Atkin, K.; Culley, L.A.; Dyson, S. E.; Evans, H. (2011) Sickle cell, habitual dys-positions and fragile dispositions: young people with sickle cell at school. Sociology of Health & Illness. 33 (3), pp. 465–483. onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9566.2010.01301.x/abstract
- Dyson, SM; Atkin, K; Culley, LA; Dyson, SE; Evans, H. and Rowley, DT (2010) Disclosure and sickle cell disorder: A mixed methods study of the young person with sickle cell at school. Social Science and Medicine. 70 (12) PP. 2036-2044.
- Dyson, SM; Abuateya, H; Atkin, K; Culley, LA; Dyson, SE; and Rowley, DT (2009) Reported school experiences of young people living with sickle cell disorder in England. British Educational Research Journal 36(1):125-142.
- Dyson, SM; Abuateya, H; Atkin, K; Culley, LA; Dyson, SE; and Rowley, DT (2008) Local authorities and the education of young people with sickle cell disorders (SCD) in England International Studies in Sociology of Education 18 (1) PP. 47-60.
- Abuateya, H; Atkin, K; Culley, LA; Dyson, SE and Dyson, SM (2008) Young People with Sickle Cell Disorder and Education: A Knowledge Review. Diversity in Health and Social Care 5 (2): PP.123-135. [ISSN 1743-1913].
- Dogra N, Vostanis P, Abuateya, H. and Jewson, N. (2007) Children's mental health services and ethnic diversity: Gujarati families' perspectives of service provision for mental health problems. Transcultural Psychiatry. Vol. 44, No. 2, pp.275-291.
- Dogra N, Vostanis, P. Jewson, N. and Abuateya, H. (2005) Understanding of mental health and mental illness by Gujarati young people and their parents. Diversity in Health and Social Care 2(2): 91-97.
- Abuateya, H & Mir, G. (2005) The Ethnicity Training Network: Addressing the Health Needs From Minority Ethnic Communities. Learning Disability Practice, 8(3) pp. 10-13.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Evans, H. (2015) International postgraduate students and independent learning University of Bedfordshire Students Experience Conference. University of Bedfordshire, Luton Campus. 8th-9th July, 2015
- Evans, H (2014) Peer learning and international students. University of Bedfordshire Students Experience Conference. University of Bedfordshire, Luton Campus. June 30th to 1st July, 2014.
- Evans, H (2013) The role of international students in internationalising the university. Bedfordshire University Students experience conference. Bedfordshire University, Luton Campus. July 8th-10th, 2013.
- Evans, H (2013) Immigration and refugee health. University of Bedfordshire. Global Health Conference. Bedfordshire University 10th July 2013.
- Evans, H (2010) Reported school experiences of young people living with sickle cell disorder in England. Sickle Cell, the Next 100 Years. De Montfort University, 14-16th April 2010.
- Evans, H (2009) Community Interventions for Health: working together to improve the health and lifestyle of people in Leicester. Working with difference: towards cultural competence cohesion and diversity? De Montfort University, Watershed Youth Centre, Leicester. 4th November 2009.
- Dyson, SM, Abuateya, H, Atkin, K, Culley, LA, Dyson, SE (2009) Mistaking Disaffection: Sickle Cell in Schools Transforming Healthcare Through Research and Education 10th Annual Interdisciplinary Research Conference, Trinity College, Dublin, 4-5th November 2009.
- Dyson, SM, Abuateya, H; Atkin, K; Culley, LA; Dyson, SE; and Rowley, DT (2009) Disclosure and sickle cell disorder: a mixed methods study of the young person with sickle cell at school. British Sociological Association Medical Sociology Conference University of Manchester September 3rd-5th 2009.
- Dyson, SM. Abuateya, H. Atkin, K. Culley, LA. Dyson, SE and Rowley, D. (2009) Reported school experiences of young people living with sickle cell disorder in England Sickle Cell Disease Association of America 37thAnnual Convention: Orlando, Florida, USA 30th September-3rd October 2009.
- Dyson, SE, Abuateya, H, Atkin, K, Culley, LA, Rowley, D and Dyson, SM (2009) Sickle Cell and School Ethos Sickle Cell Disease Association of America 37thAnnual Convention: Orlando, Florida, USA 30th September-3rd October 2009.
- Abuateya, H. (2008) Health and Human Rights: Create a Good Practice. Europe Medicine Association. Canterbury, Kent, UK 2nd October 2008.
- Abuateya, H. (2007) People with Learning Disabilities in a Workplace. Is it Too Hard? Learning for living and work. making it happened in the South East. Taunton, Summerset, UK 24th May, 2007.
School of Healthcare Practices
Faculty of Health & Social Sciences - Institute for Health Research
University of Bedfordshire
Putteridge Bury campus, Room 32
Luton LU2 8LE, UK
T: +44 (0)1582 743783
F: +44 (0)1582 743918