Help to get you started in your own business
Being self employed and running your own business is a viable option for many students and graduates.
The following organisations offer information and advice. Some also offer funding to help you get started.
- Gov.uk - starting up your own business
- Prince's Trust - supports young people in setting up their own business
- Prospects - website dedicated to graduates
- SEMSUP - South East Midlands Start Up Programme
- Shell Live Wire - online community for young entrepreneurs
- Thomsonlocal - interactive guide to starting a business
See our leaflet Self Employment - a quick guide to setting up your own business - PDF 453.2 KB
- Start-up Loans - offers government-backed personal loans for business purposes
Understanding Tax & VAT
Starting Your Own Business is an e-Learning tool produced by HMRC.
This will help you understand your obligations as a business owner in respect of tax and VAT.