Environment Policy 2017-18
The University of Bedfordshire is based at two main campuses in Luton and Bedford with satellite sites at Putteridge Bury, Aylesbury and Milton Keynes; and has a complement of around 23,000 students and 1,300 staff. The University recognises that all of its academic and associated activities have impacts on the environment at local, national and global levels. As such the University is fully committed to minimising these impacts as far as is practicable and seeks the support of all its students, staff and other stakeholders to contribute to achieving environmental excellence.
The University is totally committed to developing environmental strategies in order to:
- Promote education for Sustainable Development through the curriculum
- Maintain an Environmental Management System that is certified to Eco-Campus.
- Hold regular sustainability meetings chaired by a member of the executive group.
- Reduce carbon emissions through investment in low carbon technologies.
- Increase the environmental awareness of students, staff and visitors to the University.
- Protect the environment, including the prevention of pollution and continual improvement of environmental performance.
- Use water more efficiently and reduce the volumes of water used on campus.
- Fulfil compliance obligations and codes of practice for academic institutions.
- Avoid disposing of the University’s waste by landfill.
- Aim to achieve a BREEAM level of excellent in all new campus buildings.
- Maintain Fairtrade status and increase the range and sales of Fairtrade goods.
- Encourage the use of sustainable forms of transport by students and staff.
- Increase the biodiversity of the University’s campuses and surrounding areas.
- Minimise nuisance to local communities and neighbours.
- Use natural resources efficiently and responsibly.
This environment policy is reviewed and approved annually by the Vice Chancellor’s Executive Group, and communicated via the staff and student intranet. It is also publicly available via the University’s website.
Vice Chancellor and Chief Executive
4th July 2017