Dr Tahmina Ajmal
Senior Lecturer in Engineering
Dr Tahmina Ajmal joined the University of Bedfordshire as a Lecturer in Engineering in October 2010 and soon became Senior Lecturer. She has completed her PhD from the University of Essex on Secure Optical Networks (2007). After completing her PhD she worked there on IST EU MUSE (Multi Service Access Everywhere) project for developing a high speed access network.
In 2008, she joined the University of Bristol as a post doctoral researcher on a multi-disciplinary project for developing a low-cost water testing device for use in developing countries.
She began her academic career in India when she joined Department of Electronics Engineering in Aligarh Muslim University after completing her BSc Eng and MSc Eng there. During this time her research activities focused on different applications of low-cost fibre sensors. She left the University to pursue PhD in 2003.
Leading research in water engineering at the School in collaboration with Science Department and Business School
- REAMIT - Improving Resource Efficiency of Agribusiness supply chains by Minimising waste using Big Data and Internet of Things sensors Interreg North-West Europe (2019- 2023) Role Co- I (PI in Business School)
- Aquaculture 4.0 -- Advancing Digital Precision Aquaculture in China (ADPAC) (March 2019 – February 2022) in collaboration withChelsea Technology Group, Perceptive Engineering Limited and University of Surrey. Role PI at University of Bedfordshire. Collaborating Investigators in Business School.
- RIVER- Non-Carbon River Boat Powered by Combustion Engines, Interreg North West Europe (Sept 2017- Sept 2020) Role- Co-I
- Implementing technology solution for sustainable development of artisanal fisheries in Santa Catarina - TAF; 100K; 18 months from April 2018 incollaboration with Business School Role: Co-I (PI in Business School)
- TECO Project Travel Grant (Nov 2018)- to work on low-cost portable water testing device in India.1 month;
- Nanofluor($ 100k) ABB research grant (June 2013-May 2016) -Feasibility Study for A Nanoantenna Array Enhanced Fluorescence Sensor For Water Monitoring – in collaboration with University of Bristol. Role PI
- Selex project (5K - 2015) – Feasibility study into design of an Optical Microphone.
- Luton Hoo water project – in collaboration with Science Department, Luton Airport, Luton Borough Council, Environment Agency and Luton Hoo (Elite Hotels group).
- Research students-
- Completed PhD Student: Modelling and Prediction of Surface Water Contamination using On-line Data
- UG Engineering Periodic Review Coordinator 2017-18
- IET coordinator and contact person for accreditation of courses (2010 – 2013)
- Six Engineering courses accredited till August 2014. Accredited courses included three BEng and three MSc Courses.
- IET Academic contact (since 2010)
- Link tutor for Foundation degree on Security and Networking at Bedford College from 2011-2013
- Course Leader for BEng Electronic Engineering (since 2015)
- Course Leader for BEng Computer Systems Engineering (from 2018)
- UG Electronic Engineering subject lead (from 2018)
- University Merit Scholarship (1985-86)
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineers) Scholarship for MSc Engg (1990-1992)
- Commonwealth Scholarship for PhD (Oct 2003- Jan 2007)
- PCT/GB2010/050728: Apparatus for testing the quality of a fluid sample MkII patent, Stephen Gundry, Tahmina Ajmal, Robert Bain, Craig Whitman and Phil Walsh, international patent granted 2010.
- GB1116273.2 "Method and Apparatus for Powering Electronic Devices", B Allen, T Ajmal, D Jazani, patent filed 2011.
- Fellow HEA
- Member of IET (110186151) and IEEE (80730352)
- Reviewer for a number of reputed Journals
- IET Microwave and Antenna Propagation
- IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters
- IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics
- IEEE Photonics Journal
- Computing and Informatics Journal etc
- Reviewer for a large number of IEEE conferences since 2010
- Reviewer for EPSRC Grants
- External Examiner for UG courses at University of Essex (2016-2018)
- External Panel member for validation of BSc (Hons) Computer Engineering & BSc (Hons) Systems Automation at Edge Hill University (February 2019)
- External Academic Advisor for validation of MSc Sensor Technologies and Enterprise jointly delivered by Liverpool John Moore University and University of Liverpool (Sept 2016)
- External Academic panel member for validation of degree apprenticeship in Embedded Electronic Engineering delivered by PROCAT and University of Essex (August 2016)
- External Academic panel member for validation of HNC Electrical Power and Distribution Engineering delivered by Pearson (March 2018)
- External Examiner for MSc by Research at University of Essex (Feb 2016)
- PhD External Examiner at University of Essex (April 2018)
- PhD Overseas External Examiner at Satyabama University India (from 2015- four students examined till now)
- PhD Overseas External Examiner at Universiti Putra Malaysia, Malaysia (2017).
Dr Tahmina Ajmal
Senior Lecturer in Engineering
School of Computer Science and Technology
University of Bedfordshire
Luton LU1 3JU
T: +44 (0)15 82 489 221 (ext 9221)