Senior Lecturer in Engineering
Dr Tahmina Ajmal joined the University of Bedfordshire as a Lecturer in Engineering in October 2010 and soon became Senior Lecturer. She has completed her PhD from the University of Essex on Secure Optical Networks (2007). After completing her PhD she worked there on IST EU MUSE (Multi Service Access Everywhere www.ist-muse.org) project for developing a high speed access network.
In 2008, she joined the University of Bristol as a post doctoral researcher on a multi-disciplinary project for developing a low-cost water testing device for use in developing countries.
She began her academic career in India when she joined Department of Electronics Engineering in Aligarh Muslim University after completing her BSc Eng and MSc Eng there. During this time her research activities focused on different applications of low-cost fibre sensors. She left the University to pursue PhD in 2003.
Research is mainly focused on following areas:
- Water Monitoring (patent granted, conference papers published, research grants, PhD under supervision, book in progress)
- Nanofluor($74k) ABB research grant -Feasibility Study for A Nanoantenna Array Enhanced Fluorescence Sensor For Water Monitoring – in collaboration with University of Bristol.
- Internal Research Grant (£5K)- Internal fund for purchase of equipment for water monitoring.
- Luton Hoo water project– in collaboration with Environmental Agency, Luton Borough Council, Luton Airport and Luton Hoo (Elite Hotels group).
- PhD student- two PhD students working on water monitoring projects on following PhD topics:
- Design of a UV fluorescence sensor for detecting Organic Contamination in Surface Water – Julius Okache
- Modelling and Prediction of Surface Water Contamination using online data - Tochukwu Anyachebelu
- Energy Harvesting (patent filed, papers published/submitted in conferences and journals, internal research grant (£10k))
- IET coordinator and contact person for accreditation of courses:
- Six Engineering courses accredited from 2011-2014. Accredited courses include three BEng and three MSc courses.
- Link tutor for Foundation degree on Security and Networking at Bedford College from 2011-2013
- University Merit Scholarship (1985-86)
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineers) Scholarship for MSc Engg (1990-1992)
- Commonwealth Scholarship for PhD (Oct 2003- Jan 2007)
- PCT/GB2010/050728: Apparatus for testing the quality of a fluid sample MkII patent, Stephen Gundry, Tahmina Ajmal, Robert Bain, Craig Whitman and Phil Walsh, international patent granted 2010.
- GB1116273.2 "Method and Apparatus for Powering Electronic Devices", B Allen, T Ajmal, D Jazani, patent filed 2011.
- Fellow HEA
- Member of IET (110186151) and IEEE (80730352)
- Reviewer for a number of reputed Journals
- IET Microwave and Antenna Propagation
- IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters
- IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics#
- IEEE Photonics Journal
- Computing and Informatics Journal
- Reviewer for a large number of IEEE conferences since 2010
- Reviewer for EPSRC Grants
Dr Tahmina Ajmal
Lecturer in Engineering
School of Computer Science and Technology
University of Bedfordshire
Luton LU1 3JU
T: +44 (0)15 82 489 221 (ext 9221)