Senior Lecturer in Education
I completed my PhD on creativity in mathematics education in 2011 and have worked in educational research since, continuing my particular specialism in creativity in education.
As part of my research work, I have worked on research projects in educational settings in England, Northern Ireland and New Zealand, working with a wide range of individuals from educational practitioners to artists to museum curators. This included a role as a research associate on the FP7-funded research project 'Creative Little Scientists'.
I now teach on both the Education Studies course, teaching research methods and philosophy of education, and the Early Years Education course, teaching creativity and the Curriculum.
- MA Cantab (Hons) Mathematics with Education, Homerton College, University of Cambridge
- MA Mathematics education, University of Auckland, NZ
- MSc Educational research methods, University of Exeter
- PhD Creativity in education, University of Exeter
- Creativity in education
- Research methods
- Philosophy of education
- 2011-2014 Associate researcher, 'Creative Little Scientists' (Open University)
- 2008-2011 Assistant researcher, 'Creative Primary Schools' (University of Exeter)
- 2008-2010 Assistant researcher, 'ASPIRE' (University of Exeter)
- 2011-2014 Visiting academic, Institute of Education, London
- 2014-present Reviewer for 'Thinking Skills and Creativity journal
- Craft, A., Cremin, T., Hay, P and Clack, J. (2013) Creative primary schools: Maintaining creative pedagogy Ethnography and Education pp. 1-19
- Clack, J. (2013) Paper 4: Creativity, science and mathematics within early years education in the United Kingdom (Part of Creative Little Scientists symposium, Creative Little Scientists: National projects results) Symposium paper presented at European Science Educational Research Association (ESERA) Annual Conference, Nicosia, Cyprus
- Clack, J. (2011). What features of mathematics activity enable Possibility Thinking in the Key Stage 2 classroom and how do teachers enable them? (PhD), University of Exeter, Exeter.
- Clack J. (2009) 'A nodes model for creativity in mathematics education' Paper presented at British Education Research Association Annual (BERA) Conference, Manchester, UK
- Clack J. (2008) 'Teaching the ethereal: Studying teaching creativity in mathematics education' Paper presented at 5th International Conference on Creativity in Mathematics Education and the Education of Gifted Students, Haifa, Israel
T: +44 (0)1234 793416