Healthcare Assistant Practitioner Higher Apprenticeship
About the Course
Our Level 5 Healthcare Assistant Practitioner Higher Apprenticeship addresses the knowledge, skills and professional behaviours needed for a range of healthcare roles.
The programme includes the Foundation Degree in Healthcare Practice.
Designed to be relevant, practical and challenging, to develop:
- Programme designed in partnership with local employers and service users to offer practice-led and competency-based training
- Integrates the theory of healthcare practice with work-based learning, using your staff who are trained as practice educators and assessors to support the apprentices
Who is it for?
- This apprenticeship is designed for employers wishing to upskill healthcare workers currently working in an assistant capacity in a range of healthcare settings, for example in adult, mental health or children’s nursing, midwifery, or operating department practice
- Open to graduates if their degree does not include in-depth study of healthcare practice
- Those progressing from a lower-level apprenticeship
How the programme is delivered
The apprenticeship values practice based learning and recognises the value of life experiences as a learning resource. Training will build upon practice experiences by offering a range of learning opportunities where practice can be further developed.
- Apprenticeship will embark on a journey of active, independent learning with appropriate support from academic and clinical staff
- The knowledge and skills acquired will equip staff to promote health in a diverse and changing society, through a range of caring interactions
- The programme will foster development of reflective, compassionate healthcare practitioners, able to promote safe and effective care within a multi- disciplinary context
- The experiences gained on the programme will help staff to provide and maintain healthcare of the highest quality
- Introduction to Study Skills
- Person-Centred Care
- Health and Wellbeing
- Project Preparation
- Foundations in Values-based Practice
- Embedding NHS Values in Practice
- Safeguarding and Wellbeing
- Health Care Policy and Quality
- Enhancing Care in Practice
Duration of course is typically 24 months.
Qualifications include Foundation Degree in Healthcare Practice.
English and Maths to Level 2 are included if not held at entry.
Why University of Bedfordshire?
- Campuses in Bedford, Luton, Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.
- We place strong emphasis on practical and professional skills alongside high quality education and training. Many of our programmes successfully combine employment with professional studies.
- Employers and apprentices are supported by experienced Apprenticeship Co-ordinators, through workplace visits and regular reviews.
- TEF Silver – Proud to achieve Silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework
- Commended by the QAA for the high quality and standards of our higher education provision (QAA 2015)
- Top 250 University under 50 years old (THE 2020)
- One of 21 Business Schools awarded the Bronze Award for start-up and business growth advice (Small Business Charter)
- 8th in the country in the University Green League (People and Planet 2021)
- Eco Campus Platinum award (2022)
- Continued investment in facilities for our students. Most significantly we opened a £40m STEM building at our Luton campus in 2019.
- Our apprenticeship programmes can be configured to suit employers’ specific needs.