Select your course options:
Where Are You Applying From?
How Would You Like To Study?
When Do You Want To Start Your Studies?
Which Campus Would You Like To Study At?
Which Options Would You Like With Your Course?
Why choose the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Education
98% of our Nursing graduates are in graduate-level employment (Guardian, 2024)
100% of Health graduates went into highly skilled employment or further education (HESA, 2023)
£5,000 a year available with the NHS bursary.
About the course
This flexible course will enable you to develop your competence as a clinical educator in both professional practice and educational settings. It combines face-to-face online and blended-learning activities to provide a rich range of learning teaching and assessment opportunities.
This PgCert is designed for busy medical professionals who wish to build their skills as an educator but need a course that is flexible enough to adapt to their lives. This course has been designed with the diverse educational roles and responsibilities of clinical educators in mind with a focus on contemporary practice in both higher and professional education contexts.
Why choose this course?
- Gain the understanding and techniques you need to support the development of clinical professionals your teams and the wider organisation
- Each unit combines study days as well as live online sessions that range over the semester with interactive online learning and supported self-directed study
- Develop a critical analytic and reflective attitude to medical and healthcare education and grow as a medical educator and leader
- Study the latest research scholarship and practice and learn to deal with complexity contradictions and gaps in the current evidence base
- The course team brings expertise from higher and professional education contexts
- It is accredited by the Academy of Medical Educators
Interested in the course? Please make sure you submit your application by 18 August 2023.
Course Leader - Dr Hoda Wassif - Principal Lecturer in Medical & Dental Education
I am a Principal Lecturer in Medical & Dental Education and Portfolio Lead Pre-Professional & Continuing Health Education Portfolio, part of the School of Nursing and Health Education.
As portfolio lead, I offer academic leadership and support related to a range of courses in Pre-Professional and Continuing Health Education including; Advanced Nursing Practice, Nursing Associates, short courses in health systems as well as Medical & Dental Education.
What will you study?
Clinical Education In Practice
How can I develop an informed approach to teaching, learning and assessment in order to be an effective and innovative Medical, Dental or Healthcare educator?
In addressing the central question above, the unit provides you with opportunities to:
· Explore effective strategies for teaching, supporting learning and assessment
· Consider the roles and responsibilities of Medical, Dental, Healthcare educators including issues of consent and ethical practice in clinical teaching
· Critique the key features of real, simulated and virtual learning environments
· Promote best practice and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment
Develop an on-going action orientation to your development as an educator.
Educational Perspectives For The Workplace
This unit addresses the central question: how might we draw upon historical and contemporary theories of learning to make sense of and develop the education and training of medical, dental, nursing and allied healthcare professionals? The unit critically examines contemporary educational perspectives in the contexts of higher and professional education in medicine, dentistry and wider health professions. The unit also enables you to explore approaches to curriculum delivery from identified theoretical standpoints, allowing you opportunities to re-think your own approaches to teaching, learning and assessment as a result. The ways in which we will be working – as individuals, as peer groups and as a community - will shape the learning of the unit, both face-to-face and on-line
How will you be assessed?
The Course aims to offer transformative learning experiences which model best and creative practice in learning teaching and assessment. The team draws upon a wide range of established and innovative approaches to learner support and development. The learning and teaching strategy combines face-to-face contact days with supported on-line learning with students benefiting from the multi-disciplinary learning environment.
This course enhances your ability to take on more senior educational roles within your current place of employment. The course enables you to adopt a critical stance to your own and others’ educational practice and to propose ways to enhance student and trainee learning experiences.
You may also wish to continue your academic studies. The next steps are the University of Bedfordshire’s Master’s in Medical Education.