Principal Lecturer in Public Health
I am a Principal Lecturer in Public Health and Director of Health Research across the School of Healthcare Practice. I teach on a range of health post-graduate health courses in particular the MSc Public Health taught course. I am also the coordinator/lead for the distance learning version of this course.
I am research active in a range of public health areas particularly stigma, autism, mental health, informal carers/parents, older adults, culture and social robotics. I have extensive experience in a range of research methodologies including observational studies, systematic reviews and the development and evaluation of complex public health interventions. My research was included in the University's select REF 2014 submission (3* and 4* ratings).
I am currently an associate editor of the Journal of Pedagogic Development, co-lead of the Institute for Health Research's Statistics and Epidemiology Group, SMART (Substance Misuse and Ageing Research Team) member, and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I have secured over £2.6 million external research grant income from a range of funders including EU Horizon 2020, Autistica, NHS Blood and Transplant, and ESRC-NSPCC.
- PhD ("Stigma towards people with mental health problems: An individualism-collectivism cross-cultural comparison") (Middlesex University, 2004 - 2008)
- PG Cert Advanced Social Science Research Methods (Middlesex University, 2004 - 2005)
- BSc (Hons): Psychology (University College London, 1997 - 2000)
- MSc Public Health distance learning course coordinator
- 'Public Health Research Methods' (MSc Public Health) unit leader
- 'Health Research Methods' (MSc Advanced Clinical Practice) unit leader
- 'Dissertation' (MSc Public Health) - Unit leader (2012-2014)
- PhD supervisor (7 students; 2 completed - Vasiliki Tzourvara and Hamdi Lemamsha)
- Professional Doctorate in Systemic Practice supervisor (2 students)
- MSc Nursing with registration contributor (Research Methods for Nursing unit)
- Medical and Dental Education contributor
- Medical Education dissertation supervisor
- MSc Public Health dissertation supervisor
- Research Graduate PhD School contributor
- Director of Health Research in the School of Healthcare Practice
- Mental health and psychological well-being
- Stigma (including public, courtesy and self-stigma)
- Informal carer/parent mental health and well-being
- Health technology particularly social robotics
- Psycho-social interventions
- Social and emotional loneliness
- Older adult psychological health and well-being
- Culture and ethnicity
- Conflict and containment within inpatient wards
- Alcohol and other substance use problems
- Student mental health
- Refugee and displaced persons' health and well-being
Service to the Academic/Professional Community
- ResearchGate profile
- Founder and leader of the London Autism Group (over 915 members)
- Founder and leader of the London Autism Research Advisory Group (35 members)
- Journal of Pedagogic Development - Associate Editor
- National Institute for Health Research 'Programme Grants for Applied Research', 'Research for Patient Benefit' grant reviewer, and ESRC grant reviewer
- Peer-reviewer for various high-impact journals
- Co-lead of the IHR's Statistics and Epidemiology Group
- Member of the Substance Misuse and Ageing Research Team (SMART)
- Contributor to the University of Bedfordshire's 2014 select REF exercise (3* and 4* outputs)
- Higher Education Academy Fellow
- Research degree examiner
- Awarded University of Bedfordshire 2014 Certificate of Achievement for Academic Excellence
- Runner-up in University of Bedfordshire's 2015 student experience award (Technology in Teaching category).
- BBC 3 Counties Radio - regular guest
- European Transcultural Nursing Association member
- University of Bedfordshire Institute for Health Research Ethics Committee member
- Multiple research grant holder
- BedsTalk grant application winner ("Autism and Social Communication Disorders; How can we use research from the University of Bedfordshire at home, in schools and in the NHS?")
Peer-review journal articles
- Papadopoulos, C, Lodder A, Constantinou, G., & Randhawa, G. (2017). Systematic review of the relationship between autism stigma and informal caregiver mental health. Autism. Under Review
- Lodder A., Papadopoulos , C. & Randhawa, G. (2017). A stigma intervention for caregivers of autistic children: suggestions from the autism community. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. Under review.
- Papadopoulos, C., Lodder, A., & Randhawa, G. (2017). Stigma of living as an autism carer: a brief psycho-social support intervention (SOLACE). ISRCTN. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1186/ISRCTN61093625
- Tzouvara, V., Papadopoulos, C. and Randhawa, G (2017). Self-stigma experiences among older adults with mental health problems residing in long term care facilities: a qualitative study. Issues in Mental Health Nursing. In press
- Jones, C, Papadopoulos, C. & Randhawa, G. (2017). Primary care interventions to encourage organ donation registration: a systematic review. Transplantation Reviews. September 17th, 2017; doi: 10.1016/j.trre.2017.08.006
- Orpin, J., Puthussery, S. & Papadopoulos, C (2017). The prevalence of domestic violence among pregnant women in Nigeria: a systematic review. Trauma, Violence & Abuse. September 22nd, 2017, 2017; doi: 10.1177/1524838017731570
- Bruno, B., Papadopoulos, C. et al (2017). The CARESSES EU-Japan project: making assistive robots culturally competent. Ambient Assisted Living; June 5, arXiv:1708.06276.
- Bamidele, O., Ali, N., Papadopoulos, C., & Randhawa, G. (2017). Exploring factors contributing to low uptake of the NHS Breast Cancer Screening Programme among Black African women in the UK. Diversity and Equality in Health and Care; 14 (4), 212-219.
- Lemamsha, H., Randhawa, G., & Papadopoulos, C. (2017) Understanding the risk and protective factors associated with obesity amongst Libyan adults - a qualitative study. BMC Public Health. Under review
- Papadopoulos, C. (2016). Autism stigma and the role of ethnicity and culture. Network Autism. Accessible at: http://network.autism.org.uk/knowledge/insight-opinion/autism-stigma-and-role-ethnicity-and-culture
- Tzouvara, V., Papadopoulos, C., & Randhawa, G. (2016). Challenges in the recruitment of older adults residing in nursing homes: lessons learned from a pilot study. Nurse Researcher; 23, 4, 35-39.
- Papadopoulos, C. (2016). Self-stigma among carers of autistic people. Network Autism. Accessible at: http://network.autism.org.uk/good-practice/evidence-base/self-stigma-among-carers-autistic-people
- Rimal, R. & Papadopoulos, C. (2016). The mental health of sexually trafficked survivors in Nepal. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. Published online before print June 3, 2016, doi: 10.1177/0020764016651457.
- Tzouvara, V., Papadopoulos, C. and Randhawa, G (2016). Systematic review of the prevalence of mental illness stigma within the Greek culture. International Journal of Social Psychiatry; February 17, 2016, 0020764016629699; doi: 10.1177/0020764016629699.
- Garcia, R., Ali, N., Randhawa, G., & Papadopoulos, C. (2015). Specific antenatal interventions for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) pregnant women at high risk of poor birth outcomes in the United Kingdom: A scoping review. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth; 15, 226; doi:10.1186/s12884-015-0657-2.
- Getanda, E., Papadopoulos, C. & Evans, H. (2015). The quality of life of internally displaced persons living in Nakuru, Kenya. BMC Public Health; 15, 755; doi:10.1186/s12889-015-2085-7.
- Tzouvara, V., Papadopoulos, C. & Randhawa, G. (2015). A narrative review of the theoretical foundations of loneliness. British Journal of Community Journal; 20(7):329-34
- Wadd, S. and Papadopoulos, C. (2014). Drinking behaviour and alcohol-related harm amongst older adults: Analysis of existing UK datasets. BMC Research Notes; 7, 741; doi:10.1186/1756-0500-7-741.
- Tzouvara, V., and Papadopoulos, C.(2014). Public stigma towards mental illness in the Greek culture. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 21(10): 931-938.
- Amaugo, L., Papadopoulos, C., Ochieng, B.,and Ali, N. (2014). The effectiveness of HIV/AIDS school-based sexual health education programmes in Nigeria: A systematic review. Health Education Research; 29 (4): 633-648.
- Bowers, L., Alexander, J. Bilgin, H., Dack, C., James, K. Jarrett, M., Jeffery, D., Nijman, H., Owiti, J., Papadopoulos, C., Ross, J., Ryan, C., Van Der Merwe, M., Wright, S. and Stewart, D (2014). Safewards: the empirical basis of the model and a critical appraisal. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing; 21 (4): 354-364.
- Dack, C., Ross, J., Papadopoulos, C. Stewart, D., and Bowers, L. (2013). A review and meta-analysis of the patient factors associated with psychiatric inpatient aggression. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica; 127(4): 255-268.
- Bowers, L., Stewart, D., Papadopoulos, C., & Iennaco, J (2013). Exploration of the low correlation between conflict and containment levels on acute psychiatric wards: The City-128 study. Psychiatric Services; 64(5): 423-430.
- Papadopoulos, C. and Ali, N. (2013). Stress levels and their risk/protective factors among MSc Public Health students. Journal of Pedagogic Development, 3(2):5-10.
- Dack, C., Ross, J., Papadopoulos, C., Stewart, D., and Bowers, L. (2013). Letter to the editor: Reply. Assessing risk of suicide and aggression in hospitals: Same but different. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavia; 128(1): 101.
- Papadopoulos, C. and Sapsed, S. (2012) Segregation or integration? How should distance learning and taught modes be treated? Journal of Pedagogic Development, 2(2): 6-11.
- Papadopoulos, C., Ross, J., Stewart, D., Dack, C., James, K., and Bowers, L. (2012). The antecedents of violence and aggression within psychiatric in-patient settings. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavia. Jan 23. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0447.2012.01827.x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Papadopoulos, C., Bowers, L., Quirk, A., and Khanom, H. (2012). Factors preceding changes in conflict and containment rates on acute psychiatric wards. Psychiatric Services, 63(1):40-47.
- Papadopoulos, C., Foster, J., & Caldwell, K. (2012). 'Individualism-collectivism' as an explanatory device for mental illness stigma. Community Mental Health Journal. July 27. doi: 10.1007/s10597-012-9534-x [Epub ahead of print]
- Bezzina, N. Trevisan, A., Randhawa, G., and Papadopoulos, C. (2012). Sleep disorders and the sleeping environment: A neurological approach. Positive Health Online, 194 (May Issue).
- Papadopoulos, C. (2009). Stigma towards people with mental health problems: an individualism-collectivism cross-cultural comparison. PhD thesis, Middlesex University.
- Foster, J., Papadopoulos, C., Dadzie, L., and Jayasinghe, N. (2007). A review of the literature concerning illicit drugs, prescription drugs of abuse and their link to mental health in Greek communities. Journal of Substance Use, 12(5):311-322.
- Foster, J., Papadopoulos, C., Dadzie, L., and Jayasinghe, N. (2007). A review of tobacco and alcohol use literature in the native and migrant Greek community. Journal of Substance Use, 12(5):323-335.
- Leavey, G., Papageorgiou, A., and Papadopoulos, C (2006). Patient and staff perspectives on single-sex accommodation. Journal of Health Management, 8(1):79-90.
- Leavey, G., Hollins, K., King, M., Barnes, J., Papadopoulos, C. and Grayson, K. (2004). Psychological disorder amongst refugee and migrant schoolchildren in London. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 39(3):191-195.
- Leavey, G., Gulamhussein, S., Papadopoulos, C., Johnson-Sabine, E., Blizard, B., and King, M. (2004). A Randomised controlled trial of a brief intervention for families of patients with a first episode of psychosis. Psychological Medicine, Apr;34(3):423-431.
- Papadopoulos, C., Leavey, G. and Vincent, C. (2002). Factors influencing stigma: A comparison of Greek-Cypriot and English attitudes towards mental illness in north London. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, Sep;37(9):430-434.
Recent conference presentations
- Papadopoulos, C. (2017). 'CARESSES' (Culture-Aware Robots and Environmental Sensor Systems for Elderly Support) – an EU-Japanese funded study. East of England Positive Ageing Conference (17th July 2017; Cambridge, UK).
- Bruno, B., Papadopoulos, C. et al (2017). Paving the Way for Culturally Competent Robots: a Position Paper. Special session paper; 26th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN 2017) (28th August - 1st September 2017).
- Papadopoulos, C. (2016). ‘Stigma towards individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder: A comparison of cultural differences within a single nation.’ XI Autism-Europe International Congress (September 16th – 18th 2016; Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Tzouvara, V., Papadopoulos, C. and Randhawa, G (2017). Loneliness and self-stigma among older adults with mental health problems in care homes. 12th EUGMS International Congress of the European Union Geriatric Medicine Society (5th - 7th October, 2016; Lisboa, Portugal)
- Papadopoulos, C. (2016). 'Stigma’s impact upon the mental health of autism caregivers‘. Systemic Practice and Autism Conference (July 8th 2016; University of Bedfordshire, UK)
- Papadopoulos, C. (2014). 'Stigma towards mental illness within the Greek/Greek Cypriot culture' Symposium in Mental Health and Counselling (May 19th 2014; University of Bedfordshire, UK)
- Papadopoulos, C. (2014). 'The antecedents of violence and aggression within psychiatric in-patient settings' Symposium in Mental Health and Counselling (May 19th 2014; University of Bedfordshire, UK)
- Papadopoulos, C. (2012). 'The antecedents of violence and aggression within psychiatric in-patient settings'. Third International Conference on Violence in the Health Sector (October 24th-26th 2012; Vancouver, Canada)
- Papadopoulos, C. (2010). 'Factors preceding changes in conflict and containment rates on acute psychiatric wards'. East London NHS Trust's Eighth Annual Mental Health Research Presentation day (November 10th, 2010; London, UK)
- Papadopoulos, C. (2010). 'Factors preceding changes in conflict and containment rates on acute psychiatric wards'. The 16th International National Psychiatric Nurses Research Conference (September 23rd, 2010; Oxford, UK)
- Papadopoulos, C. & Bowers, L. (2010). 'Factors preceding changes in conflict and containment rates on acute psychiatric wards'. National Institute for Health Research's Annual London Showcase Conference (February 8th, 2010; London, UK)
- Papadopoulos, C. (2010). 'What factors precede changes in conflict and containment rates on acute psychiatric wards?' The Mental Health Nurses Association Conference (June 17th, 2010; London, UK).
- Papadopoulos, C. (2007). 'Stigma Towards People with Mental Health Problems: An Individualism-Collectivism Cross-Cultural Comparison' (poster presentation). The Annual Middlesex University Student and Staff Conference (May 22nd, 2007; London, UK).
- Papadopoulos, C. (2005). 'Stigma Towards People with Mental Health Problems: An Individualism-Collectivism Cross-Cultural Comparison.' The 2nd Annual International Stigma Conference (August 15th, 2005; London, UK)
- Papadopoulos, C., Ross, J., Stewart, D., Dack, C., James, K., & Bowers, L. (2012). A systematic review of the antecedents of conflict and containment within psychiatric settings. In Needham, I., McKenna, K., Kingma, M., and Oud, N. Third International Conference on Violence in Health Sector. Linking local initiatives with global learning. Ch. 3, p.87-89.Kavanah, The Netherlands. ISBN: 9789057401008.
- Papadopoulos, I. and Papadopoulos, C. (2006). Illegal drugs: knowledge, attitudes and drug habits of the Greek and Greek Cypriot youth living in London. In Papadopoulos, I. Transcultural Health and Social Care: Developing Culturally Competent Practitioners. Ch. 10, p.163-175. Elsevier, Oxford. ISBN: 978-0443101311.
University of Bedfordshire
Putteridge Bury campus
Luton, LU2 8LE