International entry requirements
We apply standard admissions criteria but, more than this, we are looking for students who will contribute to and benefit from a programme of study with us. We will consider you as an individual and take into account all aspects of your application, not just your qualifications. We are looking for both breadth and depth in your current studies as well as enthusiasm for the subject you wish to study.
This information is provided as a general guide only. Entry requirements will vary for particular courses, and some have additional requirements - such as portfolios for art courses - so please check the specific course descriptions before applying.
You can check individual country pages to confirm that your local qualifications are suitable.
To apply for a place on an undergraduate course (BA/BSc) you need to have completed your high school education (12 years) and have a pass equivalent to two UK A level passes, and have the required English language qualification.
The normal entry requirements for postgraduate degrees (MA/MSc/MBA/LLM) are a good honours degree, or equivalent qualification, in an appropriate subject from a recognised university or HE institution. We also consider candidates with other relevant qualifications and individuals with appropriate work experience.
Some courses may require the submission of a portfolio. If this is the case, it will be outlined in your offer letter.
The portfolio is your opportunity to show us your creative skills and why you would like to join our art and design department.
Carefully select and edit a small selection of work to produce an exciting, creative and representative portfolio of your work, which informs us about your skills, interest and ambitions.
It should include a statement (max 300 words) introducing the work in your portfolio. Your statement should explain why you have chosen your discipline and where you might like to develop in your time with us.
The portfolio should contain a maximum of 15 samples of work.
This must include:
- A selection of your student projects (if relevant)
- A selection of your professional work (if relevant)
- A brief, illustrated explanation of any research you have undertaken
- Examples of preparatory creative work (for example, images from your sketchbooks)
We are unable to give individual feedback on your portfolio.
To apply for our International Foundation year, you would be expected to have at least 11 years of education. We would also accept:
- International Baccalaureate: 20-22 points
- European Baccalaureate: 50‐55 out of 100
|Albania||Dëftesë Pjekurie (Secondary School Leaving Certificate) with grade 6|
|Bangladesh||Year 12 50‐59%|
|Brazil||Ensino Medio/High School Certificate with 6/10 overall|
|Canada||High School Graduation Diploma with a minimum 60%|
|China||3‐year Senior Secondary School in China with Certificate of Completion with pass rate of 50‐59%|
|Cyprus||Apolyterion with a mark between 11 and 13|
|Egypt||General Secondary School Certificate or or Al‐Azhar secondary School certificate: minimum 60%|
|France||French Baccalaureate Ordinary ‐ 10/20|
|Germany||Abitur, Allgemeinen Hochschulreife, Fachgebundenen Hochschulreife, Fachhochschulreife with a minimum aggregate of 3.5–3.0|
|Ghana||WAEC/NECO with at least 3 credits at C or above|
|Greece||Apolyterion with a mark between 11 and 13|
|Hong Kong||Completion of forms 4 and 5 in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) 60% in 5 subjects including math's|
|India||XII 50‐59% minimum|
|Italy||Pass Diploma di Esame di Stato with minimum overall average 60%|
|Japan||Upper secondary school leaving diploma|
|Malaysia||SPM (Malaysia Certificate of Education) with aggregate of 30 or less in best five relevant academic subjects|
|Morocco||Morocco‐Baccalaureat with a minimum grade of 10|
|Nepal||Pass HSEC 12th Grade with 50‐59%|
|Nigeria||Nigerian SSCE (WAEC/NECO) less than 5 credits, one at C6|
|Norway||A completed Vitnemål fra den Videregående Skole (High School Diploma) with average marks of 3.5 or above|
|Pakistan||HSC with 50‐59%|
|Poland||Swiadectwo Dojrzałości / Matura with overall average of 55‐60% including a minimum of two subjects at Extended level|
|Romania||Pass Diploma de Bacalaureat 5.0 ‐ 6.0|
|Saudi Arabia||Tawjihiya/Thanawihya/General Secondary School Certificate with good grades (60%‐79%)|
|South Korea||High School Year 11 with minimum grade average of 70% (Rank 6)|
|Spain||Titulo de Bachillerato or the Selectividad with a minimum average mark of 4.0‐5.0|
|Sri Lanka||1 A level pass (minimum C and D) with 5 passes in Sri Lankan O levels (including Maths and English)|
|Thailand||Successful completion of Matayom 6 with 60%|
|Turkey||Devlet Lise Diploma/ Lise Bitirme Diplomsai with 55‐60%|
|United Arab Emirates||Tawjihiya/Thanawihya/General Secondary School Certificate with good grades (60%‐79%)|
|United States of America||High School Diploma with a GPA ranging from 2.5‐3.0|
If your country/qualification is not listed above, please contact the relevant admissions team for guidance – to find their details check our international contacts
The University accepts the following qualification as satisfying the English Language requirements for entry to a Bachelor or Master's degree:
- UKVI Academic IELTS overall score of 6.0 with minimum 5.5 in each element
Please note: some courses may require higher levels of English – the exact criteria will be specified in the course descriptions
If you do not meet our standard entry requirements for English, we offer a variety of Pre-sessional English courses, as well as an International and EU Foundation Year to help you attain stronger qualifications for entry.
Students may be exempt from the University's requirement to have a formal English language qualification if they have studied for a first degree in the English language medium in a majority English-speaking country, or they have passed one of the following:
- Cambridge English: Advanced - An Overall score of 169 with a minimum score of 162 or above in all areas (Level B2)
- Cambridge English: Proficiency - An Overall score of 169 with a minimum score of 162 or above in all areas (Level B2)
- GCSE or O Level English language grade C or above validated in the UK
- IGCSE English as a First Language Grade C and the following individual scores: Reading Grade E, Writing Grade E, Speaking and Listening: Speaking Grade D (0522) or 2 (0500), Listening Grade D (0522) or 2 (0500)
- IGCSE English as a Second Language Grade C and the following individual scores: Reading and Writing: Reading Grade D, Writing Grade D, Oral (Speaking) Grade C (0511) or 2 (0510), Listening Grade A
- Scottish Certificate of Education Standard Grade English, minimum grade C
- Scottish Certificate of Education Higher Grade English, minimum grade D
- Irish Leaving Certificate – Ordinary Level English, minimum grade C
- Irish Leaving Certificate – Higher Level English, minimum grade D
- International Baccalaureate - Standard grade 5 and Higher Level grade 4 (Language B, Language A – Literature, Language A – Language and Literature, Literature and Performance, English Language A1, English Language A2)
- TOEFL iBT - Listening: 17, Reading: 18, Speaking: 20, Writing: 17
- Pearson PTE Academic – Listening 59, Reading 59, Speaking 59, Writing 59. The PTE Academic Online is not accepted.
- LanguageCert (SELT): minimum 33 in each skill
- West African Examinations Council School Certificate (WAEC SSCE): Minimum Grade C/6
- Indian Class XII - English minimum 70% from the following boards:
- CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education)
- CISCE (Council of Indian School Certificate examination)
- ISC (Indian School Certificate)
- ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education
- West Bengal
- Tamil Nadu