About the RGS
The Research Graduate School (RGS) coordinates the quality assurance and administrative arrangements for all students on research degree programmes. It is also responsible for the provision of generic training.
The RGS works closely with research institutes to ensure that all students have appropriate support throughout their studies and access to training and development programmes that will complement their research and provide a foundation for their future careers.
The RGS plays an important role in ensuring that the administration, the procedures for ensuring academic progression and the provisions for student support and experience are in line with the expectations of the QAA quality code Chapter B11 Research Degrees (June 2012).
The University has scored consistently high ratings in teaching assessments carried out since 1995 by the Quality Assurance Agency.
Research Excellence Framework (REF)
The REF 2014 (the system used to assess the quality and impact of research conducted by all UK universities) classified almost half of the University’s research as world leading or internationally excellent – the highest ratings possible.
We work closely with employers and these links with industry are reflected in the research profile of the institution.
Specialist areas of research
Specialist research areas which enjoy an international and national reputation include:
- Applied social studies
- Social work
- Health services
- Media and new technologies
- Computer graphics and medical visualisation
- Human computer interaction
- Business and management
- English language assessment
- Tourism and leisure
- Bioenvironmental sciences
- Sport and physical activity
- Research-informed education
There are currently around 320 research students in the University. These are distributed between nine research institutes
- Extension application [PDF]
- Interruption application [PDF]
- Progression Point first examinations:
- Change of supervision form [PDF]
- Intent to submit form [PDF]
- Nomination of examiners [PDF]
- Protocol for nominating examiners [PDF]
- Thesis submission form [PDF]