Supporting You


We aim to provide a student-centred, friendly and positive service: we will always treat you with dignity and respect and will strive to understand the difficulties you are experiencing whatever their nature. Be assured that all the information you give our team, in relation to your disability, will be treated in the strictest confidence and will only be shared with other University departments if you give us written permission.

For reasons of privacy and confidentiality, we are unable to discuss your disability or the nature of your support with your relatives or other concerned parties; although, we can answer general questions about the provision available at the University. However, if you request it, with your express permission we are able to share information/discuss with a parent or carer.


You may be wondering whether to disclose your disability to us because you are concerned that your issues may become common knowledge. To put your mind at rest, we can assure you that all your details are kept in the strictest confidence and we always seek written permission from you if we need to pass on information outside of our team. Detailed descriptions of your condition are not passed on, only study-related adjustments (e.g. exam arrangements) which will help you to overcome the effects of your disability on your education. Information will only be passed onto other departments on a need to know basis.

  • We strongly recommend that you disclose your condition to us, because only then can we ensure that you are provided with the support you need to reach your full potential and succeed both at University and in your future career.
  • The earlier you tell us of your disability the quicker we can help you to arrange your support. Best of all, you can declare your disability on your application form so that we can assist you in getting the support you need before you arrive at the University. Please see Getting Ahead with Your Support.

Evidence Required

You will need to provide evidence both for your application for Disabled Students Allowance and also so that the University can provide support to minimise the effects of your disability on your studies:-

  • For Specific Learning Difficulties such as dyslexia, you will need a full diagnostic assessment from an Educational Psychologist or a Special Teacher registered with PATOSS (Professional Association of Teacher of SpLD students).
  • For other disabilities, you will need to provide a letter from your GP or hospital consultant. Please give medical professionals the guidance leaflet [PDF] explaining what to include in evidence letters.


Luton campus & other campuses
Level 2, Campus Centre
Luton campus

24/7 SiD Online (student login)


Student Information Desk


Student Information Desk (SiD)

0300 300 0042

Our phone lines are open:

  • Monday - Thursday
    9:00 – 17:00
  • Friday
    9:00 – 16.30