Accommodation FAQ

You must first apply for a course. Once you have received a place and a course offer letter you can then apply for University of Bedfordshire endorsed accommodation at the Student Village or Bedford Polhill Park. Check out your options on our accommodation webpages and click the book now buttons to apply for your favourite!

All fees and monthly payments include all utility bills, free internet access and contents insurance.

  • The Deposit for Bedford and Luton Student Villages is £200. This is a refundable security deposit held in a tenancy deposit scheme, paid to you within 28 days of the end of your contract, less any outstanding expenses.
  • The Deposit for Unite Students is £200. This is a damage deposit held in a tenancy deposit scheme until the end of your contract.

Yes. Our accommodation partners, through Endsleigh Insurance, provides basic contents insurance which includes cover for your laptops and mobile devices up to £4,000. This cover is included in your weekly rent at Unite Students and both Bedford and Luton Student Villages.

Make sure you inform our accommodation partners as soon as possible if you have changed your mind.  You will have a cooling off period (this will be defined in your contract) in which you can cancel your contract without penalty. If you want to cancel your contract after this time, you may be required to provide evidence such as; proof that you have not been accepted by the University due to exam results or you have been accepted at a different university.

All contract cancellation requests will be dealt with on a case by case basis at the discretion of our accommodation partners.

  • At Bedford Polhill Park up to 50GB Wifi is included in your weekly rent.
  • At Luton Student Village up to 100GB wired and up to 50GB WiFi is free.
  • At Bedford Student Village up to 60GB is free.

All accommodation applications are dealt with on a first come first serve basis based on building and room availability.

At both Bedford and Luton Student Villages you will be able to choose your own room as part of the booking process.

At Bedford Polhill Park you will be asked to complete some profile questions and their special algorithm will help match you with similar flatmates.

If you have any specific requests then please let our accommodation partners know and they will do their best to accommodate these requests.

Make sure you let our accommodation partners know who you would like to share with and they will endeavour to accommodate these requests. This is on a first come, first served basis so please complete your application as soon as possible.

Please note that everyone must agree to share together.

In Luton our studio rooms are available for dual occupancy. 

In Bedford all rooms are designed for single occupancy and we are unable to provide accommodation for couples or families.

If you need help finding different types of accommodation please visit StudentPad who will be able to help with alternatives and advice for renting in the private sector.

Both our accommodation partners provide rooms for students with disabilites. Please contact them directly to discuss your individual requirements and they will assist wherever possible. If you need special consideration because of a medical condition they may ask you to provide a supporting letter from your doctor. Please include any information you can on your application.

You need to bring the essentials like bedding, cooking, eating and cleaning utensils. The Student Village has its own Village Shop where you can buy all your essentials online during your application and they will be ready for when you arrive.

Watch this video for tips on what you need when moving in

It may be wise to connect with your flatmates before you arrive, if possible, or when you arrive as otherwise you may end up with 5 kettles and toasters in your kitchens!

Our accommodation partners do have lists of equipment which are not permitted in our halls such as in-room fridges. For Bedford and Luton Student Villages please check your Village Rules or for Bedford Polhill Park your Guide to living with us.

Yes, but all electrical appliances must have an up to date 'PAT' (Portable Appliances Test) certificate / labelling (less than 12 months old). A qualified electrician or domestic appliance engineer can carry out the test and issue a safety certificate.

No. Pets are not allowed in the Student Village or Bedford Polhill Park.

On Campus parking is available at the Bedford campus. Parking is pay and display or students can purchase a parking permit for either a month, term or for the full academic year. As the Bedford campus is located slightly out of the town centre, the University provides a free shuttle bus to the town centre every 30 minutes on weekdays from 8am to 10.15pm during term time.

View details of the Student parking scheme and shuttle bus services at Bedford campus

The Luton campus is handily located in the town centre, as such we are not able to offer parking schemes for students. View more information on  parking available in the town centre here

No, but you can bring your own TV, although we cannot guarantee good reception. You will also need to have a TV licence

It's best to move in over the 'key weekend' which is usually in September. Staff will be there to welcome you and help you settle in to your accommodation. We will send you more information closer to the time.

Initial payments are made online at the time of your booking and then online through our accommodation partners' payment portals.

At Bedford Polhill Park rent is paid in four installments. You pay the deposit to secure your accommodation and then the initial rent installment (5% of total room price) must be paid at the beginning of September. The three other installments are generally scheduled to coincide with your student loan payments in October, January and April.

At Bedford and Luton Student Villages you pay the deposit and the first 2 weeks rent as the initial installment to secure your booking. The three other installments are generally scheduled to coincide with your student loan payments in October, January and April.

Your specific installment dates will be detailed in your contract.

No, students living in Halls are exempt from paying council tax. Our accommodation partners will ask you to complete a council tax exemption form when you move in which they will send to the local council on your behalf.

Yes, during your application you will be asked to sign a contact for a minimum of 42 weeks. This is a legally-binding document and you will be held to this unless a student who is not already in student accommodation can be found to take over your room for the remaining period. Please make sure that you read the contract online before you accept the offer.

If you are not happy with your room you will be given the opportunity to change rooms (subject to availability) once the initial settling-in period is over, at the end of October.

A cleaning contractor cleans the communal areas and the grounds of the accommodation. Students are responsible for their rooms, kitchens, bathrooms and all communal areas within their flats.

Fitzroy and Wenlock Courts in Luton offers accommodation for a range of different academic start dates throughout the year, including November, January and September. It also offers short stays, whatever the duration or required date.

These answers relate to Bedford and Luton on-campus accommodation.


University switchboard
During office hours
(Monday-Friday 08:30-17:00)
+44 (0)1234 400 400

Outside office hours
(Campus Watch)
+44 (0)1582 74 39 89



International office

Student support


Our Tweets: @uniofbeds