Improve your graduate prospects by learning Basic Mandarin and learning a new culture
The main driver of the language’s attractiveness is China’s booming economy and its status as a rising global superpower. Over the last 35 years, China has transformed itself from an impoverished third world country to become what is arguably the largest global economy. During this same period, China has opened itself up to the world, encouraging foreign investment and economic cooperation. As such, there is a huge demand for people who can bridge the gap between this new growing China and the wider world.
So, Chinese skills are rare, and can make you an attractive hire. Due to the lack of people in the Western business world who can speak both Chinese and English, there’s a huge demand for these skills, and this can of course mean very lucrative wages.
This course will be useful if you want to:
- Work internationally in a Mandarin speaking country
- Enter graduate work where speaking multiple languages at a basic level is required
- Learn a new language to support your graduate employability
- Location - TBC
- Start date - TBC
- Duration - 10 weeks
- Attendance - 2 hours per week
- Cost - this unit is free of charge for University of Bedfordshire students
- Personal information and business introductions
- Food and drink
- Finding your way around – directions and transport
- Time and date
- Immigration questions
- Chinese culture and etiquette
(* Syllabus content listed is indicative)
Submission of a portfolio of tasks (including, but not limited to: small writing and research exercises, role plays, reading tasks) and one in class test
This unit is available to registered University of Bedfordshire students studying at Level 4 or above. Students on level 8 or research courses will not be eligible to undertake the units.
Terms & Conditions - Beginners Mandarin
Minimum requirement of classroom attendance for this Unit: 15 hours
I am aware that I have signed to accept the University’s Terms and Conditions in connection with my registration on my course of academic study. I accept that these will continue to apply as may be appropriate to my registration on this Employability Unit, except as supplemented or amended below. I acknowledge I have consented that the University may share my personal data with certain specified third parties and I further consent that this will apply equally to my registration on the Employability unit.
I understand and accept as follows:
- my entitlement to register on the Employability Unit is as a student on a taught course of the University at level 4, 5, 6, or 7.
- that I may register on no more than two Employability units in one Academic Year.
- that I will incur no liability for additional tuition fees by registering on the Employability unit.
- upon satisfactory completion of the Employability Unit as determined by the Short Course Approval Panel Exam Board, my award will be as a pass or fail (i.e. not graded) and if a ‘pass’, then it will have a maximum value of 5 academic credits.
- any credit awarded for the Employability unit will not count towards an award that may later be made for my academic course of study and it will not feature in my transcript for this. My registration and any credit gained for this and other Employability units will be included on a separate supplementary transcript reciting such awards, unless I have withdrawn in the manner detailed in the following clause).
- by registering on the Employability unit I accept that the outcome will feature on the supplementary transcript, whether pass or fail, unless I have written to formally withdraw from the registration to email@example.com, within 14 calendar days of the date of signing these Terms and Conditions.
- I will not be eligible for consideration of passing the Employability Unit unless the University’s records show I have attended classroom sessions of at least the minimum number of hours shown above.
- all assessment in the Employability Unit will be on the basis of a single attempt and no referral or re-sit opportunities will be allowed.
- Mitigation processes and policies do not apply to the Employability Unit and the timing and administration of assessment will be as determined by the University at its sole discretion.
- the unit may be withdrawn at any stage, including after registration in extenuating circumstances. In this event I will receive attendance certification ONLY.
I understand and agree to the above terms and conditions.