Dr Lawrie Hallett
Senior Lecturer in Radio
I've been lucky enough to work in broadcasting all my adult life. From working as a producer and presenter on stations in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, I went on to run a broadcast engineering and design company, before becoming a broadcast consultant specialising in technology and community-based broadcasting.
Before moving to the University of Bedfordshire, I was part of Ofcom's Radio Team where I developed and implemented policies around community radio and digital audio broadcasting in particular.
When I'm not teaching or involved in research, I can often be found making radio programmes for pleasure or rebuilding old steam locomotives.
- PhD in Community Radio and Technology - University of Westminster
- Postgraduate Certificate in Supporting Learning - University of Westminster
- MA in International Relations and Development Studies - UEA
- BA (Hons) European Studies and Scandinavian Languages - UEA
- Certificate in Radio Journalism - London College of Printing (UAL)
- Radio Production
- Radio Journalism
- Media Research
- Media Policy
- Media Development
- Higher Education Association - Associate Fellow
- Broadcast Radio Policy
- Community Radio and Media Development
- Audio Production
- Radio, Communications and Broadcast Technology
- Digital Audio Broadcasting
- Audience Research
- External Examiner Radio - University of Chester
- External Examiner Radio - Point Blank College London
- Trustee - Future Projects Charity, Norwich
- Technical Director - Future Digital Norfolk Limited
- Board Member - Community Media Forum Europe
- Panel Advisor - UK Audio Content Fund
- Advisor - Community Media Association
- Reviewer - BAI Sound and Vision Scheme, Ireland
- Technical Journalist - Radio World International
- Ofcom Small-Scale DAB Trial operator since September 2015.
- Audio Content Distribution Platform Development.
- National Radio Archive: Feasibility Study. Lead author on report submitted to the British Library in May 2014.
- Member - UK Radio Archives Advisory Committee, since September 2012.
- Transforming Audiences, Transforming Societies EU COST Action (2010-2014).
Recent Publications (selected)
- Hallett, Lawrie (2018). Open Source Approaches to DAB. In: Transnationalizing [sic] Radio Research: New Approaches to and Old Medium. Bielefeld, Germany, Transcript / Columbia University Press.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2017). Apples and Oranges - Duplicating Existing FM Coverage With DAB. In: Journal of Radio and Audio Media. New York, BEA / Taylor & Francis.
- Hallett, Lawrie & Salek, Stanley (2017). Analog [sic] and Digital Terrestrial Radio Standards (Chapter 2.5). In: The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Engineering Handbook, 11th Edition. National Association of Broadcasters, Washington DC.
- Carpentier, Nico, Schrøder, Kim & Hallett, Lawrie (Editors) (2013). Audience Transformations: Shifting Audience Positions In Late Modernity (Edited Anthology). London, Routledge.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2012). New Media Community Radio How the Internet and Other 'New Technologies' Influence Community Broadcasting in the UK (pp 461 - 476). In: Hendricks, John Allen (Editor), 2012. The Palgrave Handbook of Global Radio. [Chapter 26]. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hendricks, John Allen, Hallett, Lawrie et.al. (2012). International Radio Regulation – An Overview (pp 17 - 37). In: Hendricks, John Allen (Editor), 2012. The Palgrave Handbook of Global Radio. [Chapter 2]. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ward, Emma, Buckham, Tom & Hallett, Lawrie (2012). Practical Community Radio Audience Measurement (pp 347 - 366). In: Gordon, Janey (Editor), 2012. Community Radio in the Twenty First Century. Bern, Switzerland, Peter Lang Publishing.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2011). How 'New Technologies' Impact Community Radio (Part 1, Chapter 1, Section IV, pp 39 - 47). In: Oliveira, M.; Portela, P. & Santos, L.A. (eds.) (2012). ECREA: Radio Evolution: Technology, Contents, Audiences Conference Proceedings. Braga, Portugal, Communication and Society Research Centre, University of Minho.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2011). Measuring Community Radio Audiences (Part 3, Chapter 5, Section I, pp 369 - 378). In: Oliveira, M.; Portela, P. & Santos, L.A. (eds.) (2012). ECREA: Radio Evolution: Technology, Contents, Audiences Conference Proceedings. Braga, Portugal, Communication and Society Research Centre, University of Minho.
- Hallett, Lawrie & Hintz, Arne (2010). Digital Broadcasting: Challenges and Opportunities for European Community Radio Broadcasters (pp 151 - 161). In: Carpentier, Nico and Scifo, Salvatore (Guest Editors), May 2010. Telematics and Infomatics Volume 27, Issue 2, May 2010 – Community Media: The Long March. Amsterdam, Elsevier.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2010). Community Radio in Transition – The Challenge of Digital Migration (pp 173 - 192). In: O'Neil, Brian et. al. (Editors), 2010. Digital Radio In Europe – Technologies, Industries and Cultures. [Chapter 9]. Bristol, Intellect.
- Hallett, Lawrie & Willson, Deborah (2010). Community Radio In The UK, Collaboration and Regulation. Winning Entry in BEA Radio & Audio Media Paper Competition (Debut Category - 2011). Washington, Broadcast Education Association.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2008). The Space Between: Making Room for Community Radio (pp 33 - 58). In: Gordon, Janey (Editor), 2008. Notions of Community. [Chapter 2]. Bern, Switzerland Peter Lang Publishing.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2008). Community Radio and Digital Delivery Systems (pp 403 - 429). In: Mediact, 2008. Media Convergence and the Future of Community Media. Seoul, Korea, Mediact.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2002). State Of Affairs With Regard To Digital AM (Digital Radio Mondiale). In: Eureka! A Solution for Small-Scale Digital Radio [Chapter 4]. Nigmegen, Netherlands, OLON.
- Broadcast Education Association Conference, 2014: 61st Annual Convention, Las Vegas (22-25 April 2017). Presentation: The BREXIT Election.
- IAMCR, Leicester, 2016: Memory, Commemoration and Communication: Looking Back, Looking Forward, University of Leicester (27-31 July 2016). Presentation: Media and Migration - The Role of Community Radio in the Settlement of New Migrant Communities (With Dr Janey Gordon).
- The Radio Conference, 2016: Transnational Radio Encounters,Utrecht University, (5-8 July 2016). Presentation: The International Development of Open Source Approaches to DAB.
- Presentation: Media and Migration (with Dr Janey Gordon)
- IAMCR, Hyderabad, India, 2014: Region as Frame: Politics, Presence, Practice. (15-19 July 20). Paper: Democratising Digital Audio Broadcasting. Panellist: Best Practices for Audio Production
- CMFE Conference, 2013: CMFE International Conference - Media Diversity for Democracy, Brno, Czech Republic (3-6 October 2013).
- The Radio Conference, 2013: A Transnational Forum, University of Bedfordshire (9-12 July 2013). Presentation: The Dream of Digital: Will Digital Migration Policies For Broadcast Radio Succeed?
- Broadcast Education Association Conference, 2013: 57th Annual Convention, Las Vegas (7-10 April 2013). Presentation: Community Radio: Social Media in Context
- ECREA 2012: Fourth European Communication Conference (24-27 October 2016) Paper: Linking Radio to the Internet - Bridging the Content Divide
- MeCCSA Conference, Luton, 2012: University of Bedfordshire (11-13 January 2012). Presentation: Community Radio Audience Research (with Dr Emma Ward and Tom Buckham)
- CMFE Conference, 2011: First Conference and General Assembly, UN Buffer Zone, Nicosia, Cyprus (17-19 November 2011).
- ECREA Radio Research Section 2011: RadioEvolution: Technology, Contents, Audiences, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal (14-16 September 2011). Paper: Measuring Community Radio Audiences. Paper: How New Technologies Impact Community Radio.
- IAMCR, Istanbul, 2011: Cities, Creativity, Connectivity. (13-17 July 2011).
- CRAOL Conference 2011: (27-29 May 2011).
- AMARC Europe (2011): AMARC Second Conference & General Assembly - Community Media In Europe Communicating Diversity (24-26 February 2011).
- IAMCR Community Communications Section, 2010: University of Minho, Braga, Portugal (19-22 July 2010). Paper: Community Radio and Digital Migration.
- Broadcast Education Association Conference, 2010: 54th Annual Convention, Las Vegas (15-17 April 2010). Presentation: Community Radio: Collaboration and Regulation (with Deborah Wilson) Presentation: Community Radio Regulation; the Importance of Collaboration.
- MeCCSA Conference, London 2010: London School of Economics (6-8 January 2010). Paper: Community Radio - Collaboration and Regulation (with Deborah Wilson)
- ECREA Radio Conference, 2009: Content in the Digital Age, Cyprus University of Technology, Limassol (14-16 October 2009). Paper: Community Radio In Transition - The Challenge of Digital Migration.
- The Radio Conference, Toronto, Canada, 2009: A Transnational Forum, York University (27-30 July 2009). Paper: Community Radio Regulation - A Collaborative Model.
- IAMCR, Mexico City, 2009: Communication and Human Rights (21-25 July 2009). Paper: Community Radio Regulation - A Collaborative Model. Paper: Community Radio and Digitisation – Opportunities and Threats.
- MeCCSA Postgraduate Conference, 2009: Bangor University (8-9 July 2009). Presentation: The Space Between - Finding a Place for Community Radio
- ECREA Conference 2008: Second European Communication Conference, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (25-28 November 2008).
- The Radio Conference, Lincoln, 2007: A Transnational Forum, Lincoln University (16-19 July 2007).
- CRAOL Conference (2006): Innisowen Community Radio (ICRFM).
- December 2009: Department of Media Studies, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic.
- July 2009: Audio Division, Media Bureau, Federal Communications Commission, Washington DC.
- English (native)
- Norwegian (fluent)
- Swedish (working proficiency)
- Danish (working proficiency)
Our Tweets: @uniofbeds
Jan 27, 2023
Jan 27, 2023
Jan 27, 2023
Jan 26, 2023
Jan 26, 2023
Jan 26, 2023
Jan 26, 2023
Jan 25, 2023
Jan 25, 2023