Dr Lawrie Hallett
Senior Lecturer in Radio
I've been lucky enough to work in broadcasting all my adult life. From working as a producer and presenter on stations in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, I went on to run a broadcast engineering and design company, before becoming a broadcast consultant specialising in technology and community-based broadcasting.
Before moving to the University of Bedfordshire, I was part of Ofcom's Radio Team where I developed and implemented policies around community radio and digital audio broadcasting in particular.
When I'm not teaching or involved in research, I can often be found making radio programmes for pleasure or rebuilding old steam locomotives.
- PhD in Community Radio and Technology - University of Westminster
- Postgraduate Certificate in Supporting Learning - University of Westminster
- MA in International Relations and Development Studies - UEA
- BA (Hons) European Studies and Scandinavian Languages - UEA
- Certificate in Radio Journalism - London College of Printing (UAL)
- Radio Production
- Radio Journalism
- Media Research
- Media Policy
- Media Development
- Higher Education Association - Associate Fellow
- Broadcast Radio Policy
- Community Radio and Media Development
- Audio Production
- Radio, Communications and Broadcast Technology
- Digital Audio Broadcasting
- Audience Research
- External Examiner Radio - University of Chester
- External Examiner Radio - Point Blank College London
- Trustee - Future Projects Charity, Norwich
- Technical Director - Future Digital Norfolk Limited
- Board Member - Community Media Forum Europe
- Panel Advisor - UK Audio Content Fund
- Advisor - Community Media Association
- Reviewer - BAI Sound and Vision Scheme, Ireland
- Technical Journalist - Radio World International
- Ofcom Small-Scale DAB Trial operator since September 2015.
- Audio Content Distribution Platform Development.
- National Radio Archive: Feasibility Study. Lead author on report submitted to the British Library in May 2014.
- Member - UK Radio Archives Advisory Committee, since September 2012.
- Transforming Audiences, Transforming Societies EU COST Action (2010-2014).
Recent Publications (selected)
- Hallett, Lawrie (2018). Open Source Approaches to DAB. In: Transnationalizing [sic] Radio Research: New Approaches to and Old Medium. Bielefeld, Germany, Transcript / Columbia University Press.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2017). Apples and Oranges - Duplicating Existing FM Coverage With DAB. In: Journal of Radio and Audio Media. New York, BEA / Taylor & Francis.
- Hallett, Lawrie & Salek, Stanley (2017). Analog [sic] and Digital Terrestrial Radio Standards (Chapter 2.5). In: The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Engineering Handbook, 11th Edition. National Association of Broadcasters, Washington DC.
- Carpentier, Nico, Schrøder, Kim & Hallett, Lawrie (Editors) (2013). Audience Transformations: Shifting Audience Positions In Late Modernity (Edited Anthology). London, Routledge.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2012). New Media Community Radio How the Internet and Other 'New Technologies' Influence Community Broadcasting in the UK (pp 461 - 476). In: Hendricks, John Allen (Editor), 2012. The Palgrave Handbook of Global Radio. [Chapter 26]. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hendricks, John Allen, Hallett, Lawrie et.al. (2012). International Radio Regulation – An Overview (pp 17 - 37). In: Hendricks, John Allen (Editor), 2012. The Palgrave Handbook of Global Radio. [Chapter 2]. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ward, Emma, Buckham, Tom & Hallett, Lawrie (2012). Practical Community Radio Audience Measurement (pp 347 - 366). In: Gordon, Janey (Editor), 2012. Community Radio in the Twenty First Century. Bern, Switzerland, Peter Lang Publishing.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2011). How 'New Technologies' Impact Community Radio (Part 1, Chapter 1, Section IV, pp 39 - 47). In: Oliveira, M.; Portela, P. & Santos, L.A. (eds.) (2012). ECREA: Radio Evolution: Technology, Contents, Audiences Conference Proceedings. Braga, Portugal, Communication and Society Research Centre, University of Minho.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2011). Measuring Community Radio Audiences (Part 3, Chapter 5, Section I, pp 369 - 378). In: Oliveira, M.; Portela, P. & Santos, L.A. (eds.) (2012). ECREA: Radio Evolution: Technology, Contents, Audiences Conference Proceedings. Braga, Portugal, Communication and Society Research Centre, University of Minho.
- Hallett, Lawrie & Hintz, Arne (2010). Digital Broadcasting: Challenges and Opportunities for European Community Radio Broadcasters (pp 151 - 161). In: Carpentier, Nico and Scifo, Salvatore (Guest Editors), May 2010. Telematics and Infomatics Volume 27, Issue 2, May 2010 – Community Media: The Long March. Amsterdam, Elsevier.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2010). Community Radio in Transition – The Challenge of Digital Migration (pp 173 - 192). In: O'Neil, Brian et. al. (Editors), 2010. Digital Radio In Europe – Technologies, Industries and Cultures. [Chapter 9]. Bristol, Intellect.
- Hallett, Lawrie & Willson, Deborah (2010). Community Radio In The UK, Collaboration and Regulation. Winning Entry in BEA Radio & Audio Media Paper Competition (Debut Category - 2011). Washington, Broadcast Education Association.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2008). The Space Between: Making Room for Community Radio (pp 33 - 58). In: Gordon, Janey (Editor), 2008. Notions of Community. [Chapter 2]. Bern, Switzerland Peter Lang Publishing.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2008). Community Radio and Digital Delivery Systems (pp 403 - 429). In: Mediact, 2008. Media Convergence and the Future of Community Media. Seoul, Korea, Mediact.
- Hallett, Lawrie (2002). State Of Affairs With Regard To Digital AM (Digital Radio Mondiale). In: Eureka! A Solution for Small-Scale Digital Radio [Chapter 4]. Nigmegen, Netherlands, OLON.
- Broadcast Education Association Conference, 2014: 61st Annual Convention, Las Vegas (22-25 April 2017). Presentation: The BREXIT Election.
- IAMCR, Leicester, 2016: Memory, Commemoration and Communication: Looking Back, Looking Forward, University of Leicester (27-31 July 2016). Presentation: Media and Migration - The Role of Community Radio in the Settlement of New Migrant Communities (With Dr Janey Gordon).
- The Radio Conference, 2016: Transnational Radio Encounters,Utrecht University, (5-8 July 2016). Presentation: The International Development of Open Source Approaches to DAB.
- Presentation: Media and Migration (with Dr Janey Gordon)
- IAMCR, Hyderabad, India, 2014: Region as Frame: Politics, Presence, Practice. (15-19 July 20). Paper: Democratising Digital Audio Broadcasting. Panellist: Best Practices for Audio Production
- CMFE Conference, 2013: CMFE International Conference - Media Diversity for Democracy, Brno, Czech Republic (3-6 October 2013).
- The Radio Conference, 2013: A Transnational Forum, University of Bedfordshire (9-12 July 2013). Presentation: The Dream of Digital: Will Digital Migration Policies For Broadcast Radio Succeed?
- Broadcast Education Association Conference, 2013: 57th Annual Convention, Las Vegas (7-10 April 2013). Presentation: Community Radio: Social Media in Context
- ECREA 2012: Fourth European Communication Conference (24-27 October 2016) Paper: Linking Radio to the Internet - Bridging the Content Divide
- MeCCSA Conference, Luton, 2012: University of Bedfordshire (11-13 January 2012). Presentation: Community Radio Audience Research (with Dr Emma Ward and Tom Buckham)
- CMFE Conference, 2011: First Conference and General Assembly, UN Buffer Zone, Nicosia, Cyprus (17-19 November 2011).
- ECREA Radio Research Section 2011: RadioEvolution: Technology, Contents, Audiences, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal (14-16 September 2011). Paper: Measuring Community Radio Audiences. Paper: How New Technologies Impact Community Radio.
- IAMCR, Istanbul, 2011: Cities, Creativity, Connectivity. (13-17 July 2011).
- CRAOL Conference 2011: (27-29 May 2011).
- AMARC Europe (2011): AMARC Second Conference & General Assembly - Community Media In Europe Communicating Diversity (24-26 February 2011).
- IAMCR Community Communications Section, 2010: University of Minho, Braga, Portugal (19-22 July 2010). Paper: Community Radio and Digital Migration.
- Broadcast Education Association Conference, 2010: 54th Annual Convention, Las Vegas (15-17 April 2010). Presentation: Community Radio: Collaboration and Regulation (with Deborah Wilson) Presentation: Community Radio Regulation; the Importance of Collaboration.
- MeCCSA Conference, London 2010: London School of Economics (6-8 January 2010). Paper: Community Radio - Collaboration and Regulation (with Deborah Wilson)
- ECREA Radio Conference, 2009: Content in the Digital Age, Cyprus University of Technology, Limassol (14-16 October 2009). Paper: Community Radio In Transition - The Challenge of Digital Migration.
- The Radio Conference, Toronto, Canada, 2009: A Transnational Forum, York University (27-30 July 2009). Paper: Community Radio Regulation - A Collaborative Model.
- IAMCR, Mexico City, 2009: Communication and Human Rights (21-25 July 2009). Paper: Community Radio Regulation - A Collaborative Model. Paper: Community Radio and Digitisation – Opportunities and Threats.
- MeCCSA Postgraduate Conference, 2009: Bangor University (8-9 July 2009). Presentation: The Space Between - Finding a Place for Community Radio
- ECREA Conference 2008: Second European Communication Conference, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (25-28 November 2008).
- The Radio Conference, Lincoln, 2007: A Transnational Forum, Lincoln University (16-19 July 2007).
- CRAOL Conference (2006): Innisowen Community Radio (ICRFM).
- December 2009: Department of Media Studies, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic.
- July 2009: Audio Division, Media Bureau, Federal Communications Commission, Washington DC.
- English (native)
- Norwegian (fluent)
- Swedish (working proficiency)
- Danish (working proficiency)
Our Tweets: @uniofbeds
Mar 28, 2023
Mar 28, 2023
Mar 28, 2023
Mar 28, 2023
Mar 28, 2023
Mar 28, 2023
Mar 28, 2023
Mar 28, 2023
Mar 27, 2023
Mar 27, 2023