Senior Lecturer in Scriptwriting
Toby Norways has been a Senior Lecturer in Scriptwriting at the University of Bedfordshire since September 2013.
He has previously taught at Birkbeck University, Goldsmiths University, and Buckinghamshire New University, where he was Course Leader of the Creative Writing department. He also set up a full-time BA Scriptwriting at Bucks New University.
Toby is an award-winning writer of script and prose. His films have screened in diverse locations around the world, including BAFTA Piccadilly, Hollywood, and Iraq. His last few scripts have focused on humanitarian issues and have been supported by Amnesty International.
Toby was recently awarded a studentship by Newman University to research a PhD Creative Writing. The creative component is a historical novel concerning Allied prisoners of war under the Japanese, working on the Thai-Burma Railway from 1942-45.
- PhD Creative Writing – Newman University (ongoing)
- MA Screenwriting – London College of Communications
- BA (Hons) English Literature and French - University of Reading
- Diploma in Media Practice - Birkbeck University
- Creative Writing
- Script Adaptation
- Life Writing
- Script Writing
- Short Story Writing
- Writer: ‘Muntjac’ (Short Story). Selected for publication in the ‘Twisted 50’ Horror Story Competition 2016.
- Writer: ‘The Second Coming’. Shortlisted (from 1,370 writers) for the Aesthetica Creative Writing Competition 2014.
- Writer: ‘Anonymous Anonymous’. A winner of the University of Herts International Short Story Award 2007. Winner of the £9000 UH Creative Writing Scholarship. Published by Herts University Press.
- Co-Writer with Colin Butts of the second novel in the ‘Is Harry on the Boat?’ series, for Orion Publishing, 2003 – ‘Is Harry Still on the Boat?’ 30,000 copies sold.
- Writer: ‘Rojin’ script for Dir. Chiman Rahimi about Kurdish refugees. Prod: Poisson Rouge Pictures, 2009. Screened West End & Official Selections: International Film Festivals of Chicago, Tokyo, Dublin, and Renderyard (Spain). Winner of the Cinemoi Non-Multiplex Cinema Award, June 2011.
- Writer: ‘Rough Cut’ 25-minute script commission for the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art Filmed Nov 2008 Screened at the Gielgud Theatre, Feb 2009.
- Writer:Winner of the TAPS ‘Continuing Drama Competition – Nations and Regions’, Sept 2007. 30-min standalone script ‘Exchange and Completion’ shot at ITV Yorkshire, Nov 2007. Screened at BAFTA 9th May 2008.
- Writer: ‘Siza’ short script commission for Dir. C. Rahimi about ‘Honour Killing’ in London. Kurdish Film Festival, Kurdistan of Iraq, Sept 2008.
- Writer: Red Planet Picture Prize. Feature-length thriller: ‘No Brainer.’ Short-listed from 2100 entries. Tony Jordan’s script competition. Dec 2007.
- Writer:Yoyo Media Ltd., Manchester. Development commission for new TV series, plus pilot episodes, Sept 2007.
- Writer: BBC ‘Doctors’: Trial episode approved by BBC script editor Terry Barker, Sept 2007.
- Writer: We Are The Media Ltd. Drama Storyliner/Writer (salaried) for an Internet-based drama project. Short-term contract. Pilot filmed, July 2007.
- Writer:Selected for ‘Breakout’ (Jan 2007) with director Karen Palmer – a feature development program, supported by the UK Film Council / Skillset / Warp X. Guest host: Gurinder Chadha.
- Writer: Winner of the ‘Life on Mars’ Dialogue Competition, February 2006. Judged by Ashley Pharoah – co creator of ‘Life on Mars’. BBC Writers’ Room ‘Inside the Box’ Invitational event:
- Writer: IWC Media and Channel Four. 30-Minute TV Thriller: ‘No Brainer’. Short-listed for ‘Coming Up’ Competition, 2005.
- Writer: Short script, ‘Trophy’. A winner in the UK Film Council ‘Digital Shorts’ Competition 2004. ‘Official Selection’ in 2005 for the Los Angeles Short Film Festival. Theatrical screenings in the West End & Hollywood.
- Writer: Short script, ‘Love Bites’. Selected as a winner in the Screen East ‘Digital Shorts’ Competition 2003. Screened on Anglia TV, Dec 2004, in ‘Stephen Fry’s Shorts’. Produced by Screen East and the UK Film Council.
- Writer: Feature script, ‘The Rhythm Method’. Winner: Euroscript Screen Story Competition, 2001. Awarded £5000 Development Funding from Screen East and the UK Film Council.
- Writer: ‘Fire and Water’. Winner of the London Film Academy’s short script competition, February 2006. Produced by the L.F.A. May 2006.
- Writer: Sitcom ‘Fur and Scales’. Selected by the Rocliffe Forum for theatrical showcase performance in Jan 2002.
- Sept 2000-present. Stand-up poetry performer. Finalist in the Farrago UK Slam Poetry Competition, 2000.