Physiology of Exercise areas
The Facilities have received accreditation by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Science as a Sport and Exercise Laboratory (Research and Scientific Support)
These areas are very well supplied with equipment such as:
- Powered clinical Woodways
- Non-motorised Woodway
- Force 3 – able to measure 3D forces and gait while running up to maximal sprint velocity.
- H P Cosmos Pulsar with safety harness
- Cycle ergometers
- Lode Cycle and Arm ergometers with associated software
- Racer Mate Cycle Computrainer with associated software
- Watt bikes and software
- Rowing ergometers and Row Pro software
- Servomex oxygen and carbon dioxide analysers
- Online gas analysis systems (Cortex MetaLyser and MetaMax)
- Powerlab computerised physiological data collection system.
- Body composition analysis equipment:Underwater weighing tank, Bod Pod, Harpenden skinfold callipers, Bioimpedance equipment: Bodystat, Quadscan, Tanita scales
- Blood analysis equipment; YSI automatic blood lactate / glucose analyser, Hemocue haemoglobin photometer, Hawksley haematocrit centrifuge, Cholestec LDX cholesterol analyser, Reflotron, Opti CCA blood gas analyser.
- Suunto Team Heart rate monitor and logging system
- Actigraph, Actiheart and GeneActive activity recording systems
- Ice Baths
- Echocardiographs Vivid 7 and HDI 3000CV
- Muscle stimulation equipment
- DXA Prodigy Pro low dosage X-Ray machine
- E Bike
- Wireless temperature control
- Humidity control
- Oxygen level control (for Altitude work)
- Mobile environmental enclosure
- Mobile hypoxicator
- Monitoring equipment: skin, core and muscle temperature, blood oxygen saturation levels
Movement Science / Biomechanics areas
A large, dedicated, visual data capture area with specialist lighting and recording equipment for 2D or 3D work with >4.5 meter vertical clearance.
The area is well supplied with equipment such as:
- Video background wall and background curtains.
- Standard and high speed video camcorders and analysis software
- Video editing and mixing equipment.
- Retractable netting enclosure.
- Force data capture equipment including two built in Kistler force plates which have variable mounting positions.
- A separate Kistler portable load cell and accelerometer
- All can be linked to either a PC with specialist Bioware analysis software or to other data capture systems.
- Ballistic Measurement system – measuring force, velocity and acceleration for any given training task
- Kin Com Isokinetic dynamometer
- Optojump gait and movement analysis system
- RS footscan system – measuring gait and centre of pressure
- Biometrics DataLog and DataLink systems – including EMG and electronic goniometers
- Artek 3D Scanner
Strength and Conditioning
- Olympic platform and rack in adjacent gym
- Smiths Machine
- Bench and free weights
- Flexibility and strength measuring and recording devices.
- SmartSpeed training and timing system
- Brower timing systems
Molecular Physiology Research Labs
- 2 safety cabinets
- 1 fume hood
- 1 humidified CO2 incubator
- Hand held flow cytomter, cell counting
- Light microscope, cell imaging
- Access to Fluorescent microscope for immunohistological analysis (Butterfield campus)
- 3 centrifuges - spinning of blood, cells and tissue
- DNA/RNA isolation and quantification
- Automated PCR robot for assay setup
- Real-time PCR machine for analysis of RNA/DNA for genotyping (for analysis of genetic profile of athletes/patients etc., also for gene expression and DNA methylation from blood, cells or tissue.
- Access to ELISA plate reader for protein and hormone quantification (in collaboration with Loughborough University).
- BioRad molecular imager
- Tecan Infinite F200 Pro
- Flexcell FX5K tension