Dr Ghazanfar Ali Safdar
Senior Lecturer in Computer Networking
Ghazanfar Ali Safdar received a BSc (Hons) in Electrical Engineering from University of Engineering and Technology, Pakistan in 1997. He subsequently received M.Eng in Computer Science and Telecommunications from University of Technology, Grenoble, France in 2001.
He was awarded a PhD from Queen's University Belfast, UK in 2005 for his work in the area of power-saving MAC protocols for the IEEE 802.11 family of wireless LANs.
He then worked from 2005-2008 with the same university as a Research Fellow involved in the security and authentication protocols for wireless networks.
Ghazanfar Ali is currently working as a lecturer in Computer Networking at University of Bedfordshire. He has also worked as R & D engineer with Carrier Telephone Industries (SIEMENS), Pakistan and Schlumberger, France.
Dr Ghazanfar Ali Safdar, has been selected to be an associate editor for IET Networks, the journal of the prestigious Institution of Engineering & Technology.
- Energy Efficient Medium Access Control Protocols for Sensors and Wearable thin client Wireless Networks / Technologies
- Security and Authentication Protocols for Communication Networks
- Greener Communication and Networking
- Interference Mitigation in LTE, Femtocells, M2M Communication
- Spectrum Sensing in Context Aware Cognitive Radio Networks
- Quality of Service and Scheduling
- Device to Device Communication, Internet of Things, Cyber Security
- Adept Communication Systems Medium Access Control Protocols Developer
- Sound Research and Development Skills
- Sound Proto-C and OPNET Developer
- Project Management Skills
- Programming and Analytical Skills
- Sound System Design, Modelling and Performance Analysis skills
- Research Dissemination Skills
Research Projects Engagement
- Interference Mitigation in Cognitive Radio Enabled Femtocells (2013 to 2016 – University of Bedfordshire, UK)
- Secure Medium Access Control Protocols for Cognitive Radio Networks (2013 to 2016 – University of Bedfordshire, UK)
- Security Protocols and Architecture for Ad Hoc Wireless Networks (2005 to 2009 – Queens University Belfast, UK)
- Energy Efficient Point Controlled Wireless Networks (2002 to 2005 – Queens University Belfast, UK)
- Secure Electronic Mobile Payment Systems (03/2001 to 08/2001 – Schlumberger, France)
- Pulse Code Modulation based Automatic Call Distribution System (1998 to 1999 – Siemens, Carrier Telephone Industries, Pakistan).
- Energy Conservation in LTE Systems (2014 to date – University of Bedfordshire, UK)
- History assisted Energy Efficient Spectrum Sensing in dynamic spectrum Access Cognitive Radio Networks (2013 to date – University of Bedfordshire, UK)
- Interference Cancellation in Device to Device paradigm (2016 to date – University of Bedfordshire, UK)
- Security protocols for Connected Vehicles (2017 to date).
PhD Projects Supervision and Examination
PhD Projects Completion
- Harold O Kpojime, “Interference Mitigation in Cognitive Radio Enabled Femtocells”, PhD completion as First Supervisor
- Umar Shehu, “Quality of Service aware Network Service Composition”, PhD completion as First Supervisor
- Kapil Kanwal, “Energy Management in LTE Networks”, PhD completion as First Supervisor
- Wajdi Al-Hakami, “Secure MAC protocols for Cognitive Radio Networks”, PhD completion as Second Supervisor
Current PhD Projects Supervision
- Tazeen Syed, “History assisted Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio Networks”, PhD supervision as First Supervisor
- Khurram Ashfaq, “Interference Mitigation in D2D paradigm”, PhD supervision as First Supervisor
- Nabeel Malik, “Low Profile antennas for Body Area Networks”, PhD supervision as First Supervisor
- Muhammad Mirza, “Security protocols for autonomous / connected vehicles”, PhD supervision as Second Supervisor
- Aziz Ur Rehman “Wearable Wireless Communication”, PhD supervision as First Supervisor
External PhD Examination
- Wuchen Tang, “ Energy Efficiency and Throughput Enhancement for Cellular Cognitive Radio networks”, 2014, University of Surrey, UK
- H.A. Mustafa, “ Spatial and Social Paradigm for Coverage Analysis in Device to Device Networks”, 2016, University of Surrey, UK
- Mohsin Raza, “Efficient and Reliable Communication in Industrial Wireless Sensor Networks”, 2018, Northumbria University, UK
- Maya Mohan, “ Design of Integrity based elgamal Cryptosystem for Bitcoin Exchanges”, Thesis evaluation as external examiner, 2018, Anna University, India
MPhil / MRes Examination
- Acted as Internal Examiner for three MPhil students, University of Bedfordshire
- Acted as Internal Examiner for one MRes student, University of Bedfordshire
- Editor in Chief, EAI Transactions on Energy Web, eai.eu/transaction/energy-web
- Area Editor Springer Wireless Networks
- Guest Editor IEEE Access
- Session Chair, IEEE CAMAD 2015, Design, Modelling and Performance analysis of Cognitive Radio Networks
- Regular Reviewer for IEEE TVT, IEEE TWC, IEEE Comms Letters, IEEE Access, IET Comms, IET Letters, Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, Elsevier ComCom, Springer WPC
- Regularly act as TPC for various International Conferences (e.g. CrownCom, FNC, DocEIS, etc).
Course and Modules Leadership
- Course leader for UG Computer Networking
- Unit Leader for Level 6 Advanced Networking, Level 5 Networking
- Teaching of several UG and PG modules in the area of Electronic Engineering, Computer Networking, Digital Technologies, Wireless Communications, Computer Security
Taught Courses Projects Engagement:
- Regular supervision of UG Computer Science, Computer Networking and Electronic Engineering Student Projects
- Semester based supervision of PG Computer Science and Computer Networking Student projects
Courses Development and Validation
- Course development and validation experience. Successfully developed 3 years specialised master MCOMP and led to validation
- Regular course and modules development for courses related to Computer Networking, Digital Technologies, Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
- Active Engagement in Course Periodic Reviews, Course Approval and Course professional bodies accreditation events
Account Manager for UK and overseas Partnerships
- Experience of Account Management and Link tutorship of over 3 plus years. Acted as Account Manager for Franchise courses delivered both inside and outside UK Partners. Account manager acts as a complete interface between the University and the partners to ensure seamless course delivery, quality adherence, management of link tutors, Exam boards, Awards, etc.
Awards and Funding
- Vice Chancellor Course of Year Award, University of Bedfordshire, 2017, UK
- Vice Chancellor Best teacher of the year Nomination Award, 2018
- 100% NSS Award
- IET Present around the world, Runner Up award, Belfast, UK
- Fellowship, Queens University Belfast, UK
- M.Eng Scholarship, Ministry of Science and Technology, SFERE, France
- University Merit Certificate for third position in BSc (Hons) Electrical Engineering, Pakistan
- Security Protocols and Architectures for Ad Hoc Networks, EPSRC, 126k GBP, Co-Investigator
- QoS Aware CR MAC Protocols, CIIT/P&D-18(1)/09: PhD studentship Grant, 65k GBP, Principal Investigator
Book and Book Chapters
- G.A. Safdar, “Energy Saving MAC Protocols for Point Controlled Wireless Networks: Best Effort, QoS”, VDM Verlag, ISBN 13: 9783639229158
- G.A. Safdar, Chapter 16: Cognitive Radio Networks: Sensing, Access, Security, “LTE-Advanced and Next Generation Wireless Networks: Channel Modelling and Propagation”, John Wiley and Sons, UK, ISBN-13: 978-1119976707
- G.A. Safdar, Chapter 5: Traffic Aware Scheduling for Interference Mitigation in Cognitive Femtocells, “Access, Fronthaul and Backhaul Networks for 5G & Beyond”, IET UK, ISBN: 978-1-78561-213-8
- Ur Rehman, M. and G.A. Safdar, “LTE Communications and Networks”, Wiley and Sons, Ltd. (UK).
Journal Papers (Early Access or In Press)
- J1: K.Kanwal, Ghazanfar Ali Safdar, Masood ur Rehman,” Call blocking and outage probability in energy efficient LTE networks”, Wiley Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, In Press, 2018.
- J2: M. Mujahid, G.A. Safdar, “ Survey on existing authentication issues for cellular-assisted V2X Communication”, Elsevier Vehicular Communications”, Early Access, 2018
- J3: G. A. Safdar and K. Kanwal, "Euclidean Geometry Axioms Assisted Target Cell Boundary Approximation for Improved Energy Efficacy in LTE Systems," in IEEE Systems Journal, vol. PP, no. 99, pp. 1-9.
- J4: M. Ur-Rehman, G. A. Safdar, X. Yang and X. Chen, "Design and Study of A Circular Polarised Conical-Disc-Backed Spiral Antenna for X-Band Applications," in IEEE Access, vol. PP, no. 99, pp. 1-1.
- Programming: Proto-C/C++, Visual Basic
- Engineering Tools: OPNET, Matlab, Packet Tracer, Wireshark, PsPice
- Office Automation: MS Office, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Microsoft Visio etc.,
Dr Ghazanfar Ali Safdar
T: +44(0)1234 400 400 Ext 2183
During office hours
+44 (0)1234 400 400
Outside office hours
+44 (0)1582 74 39 89