Dr Marcia Gibson
Lecturer in Computer Science and Technology
Marcia joined the department as a Lecturer in Computer Science and Technology in October 2013 and prior to this (2007-2008 and 2012-2013) worked at the University as a visiting lecturer.
She is a researcher in the Institute for Research in Applicable Computing (IRAC) and is a research fellow of the National Centre for Cyberstalking Research (NCCR), working as part of the technical team.
She was awarded a full scholarship for her PhD via the Steel Memorial Trust PhD Studentship and completed her PhD on the topic of "Inclusive and Secure Design of an Online Authentication system" in 2013.
Marcia obtained an MSc by research in Computer Security in 2007 and gained a BSc (Hons), First class in Computer Science in 2005.
In addition to her academic activities, Marcia has worked commercially as a Web Developer and Accessibility consultant.
Marcia is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) having completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching Higher Education (PgCTHE) by portfolio in 2015.
In addition to supervising projects at BSc, MSc and PhD level, she is currently also involved in teaching on the following units:
- Computer and Network Security (also unit co-ordinator)
- Content Creation and Design (also unit co-ordinator)
- Programming for Interactive Media (also unit co-ordinator)
- Fundamentals of Creative Technologies
- Authentication systems, Cyberstalking , Security, Usability, Accessibility and Privacy.
- Computer games, immersion and presence, user experience, virtual worlds, virtual and mixed reality.
- M. Gibson, A. Brown, E. Short, J. Barnes, K. Haigh & F. Waye (2019). ‘Raising HE Students’ Awareness of Technology Mediated Abusive Behaviours – Bedfordshire Cyber Awareness Programme (BCAP)’. 24th Annual CyberPsychology, CyberTherapy & Social Networking Conference (CYPSY24), 24-26 June 2019, Norfolk, VA, USA
- Jayaraj, L., Wood, J. and Gibson, M. (2018) ‘Engineering a mobile VR experience with MEMS 9DOF motion controller’. IEEE Games, Entertainment, Media Conference (GEM) Aug 15-17, 2018. University of Galway, Ireland.
- L. Jayaraj, J. Wood & M. Gibson (2017). ‘Improving the Immersion in Virtual Reality with Real-Time Avatar and Haptic Feedback in a Cricket Simulation’ 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR-Adjunct), Nantes, France, 2017, pp. 310-314. doi: 10.1109/ISMAR-Adjunct.2017.95
- Brown, A. Gibson, M. and Short, E., (2017). Modes of Cyberstalking and Cyberharassment: Measuring the negative effects in the lives of victims in the UK. Annual Review of Cybertherapy and Telemedicine, 15, pp.57-64.
- A. Miftha, M. Conrad & M. Gibson (2017) ‘The Social, Legal, Technical Perspective of Cyber Stalking in India’. 15th International Conference on e-Society 2017 (e-Society2017), Budapest, Hungary, 10th April 2017.
- A. Brown, M. Gibson & E. Short (2017). ‘Modes of cyberstalking and cyberharassment: Measuring the negative effects in the lives of victims in the UK’ [abstract]. 22nd Annual CyberPsychology, CyberTherapy & Social Networking Conference (CYPSY22), Wolverhapton, UK, 26-28 June 2017.
- Akinduko, A., Ariwa, E. and Gibson, M., (2017), A cross cultural investigation into adoption of user controls in cyberstalking protection: A case study of Nigeria and the United Kingdom. In Innovative Computing Technology (INTECH), 2017 Seventh International Conference on (pp. 181-190). IEEE.
- M. Gibson & A. Brown (2015) ‘The Importance of Controlling Your Online Presence - Understanding and Pre-empting Attacks that use your Public Information’. In E. Short & J. Barnes (Eds.), A Practical Guide to Coping with Cyberstalking (pp. 63-71). Andrews UK.
- M. Gibson & A. Brown (2015) ‘A structured approach for locating and removing your personal information from the World Wide Web’. In E. Short & J. Barnes (Eds.), A Practical Guide to Coping with Cyberstalking (pp. 72-84). Andrews UK.
- M. Gibson, K. Renaud, M. Conrad & C. Maple (2015). ‘Play that funky password! Recent Advances in Authentication with Music’. In (Eds.) M. Gupta. Handbook of Research in Emerging Developments in Data Privacy. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- A. Brown & M. Gibson (2015) ‘Strategies for maintaining privacy when using social media sites, apps and services’. In E. Short & J. Barnes (Eds.), A Practical Guide to Coping with Cyberstalking (pp. 85-93). Andrews UK.
- A. Brown & M. Gibson (2015) ‘Setting social media privacy controls: A practical guide to protecting yourself’. In E. Short & J. Barnes (Eds.), A Practical Guide to Coping with Cyberstalking (pp. 94-113). Andrews UK.
- M. Gibson, K. Renaud, M. Conrad & C. Maple (2012) `Music is the Key: Using our Enduring Memory for Songs to Help Users Log On'. In M. Gupta, J. Walp, & R. Sharman (Eds.) Strategic and Practical Approaches for Information Security Governance: Technologies and Applied Solutions (pp. 137-157). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-0197-0.ch008
- M. Gibson (2010) 'Opening the Web for All, Enhancing digital inclusion through authentication system design'. EuroSOUPS: Workshop on the development of a European Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (24th November, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK).
- M. Gibson, M. Conrad & C. Maple (2010) 'Infinite Alphabet Passwords: A Unified Model for a Class of Authentication Systems'. Procs. International Conference on Security and Cryptography SECRYPT 2010 (26-28th July, Athens, Greece). pp. 94-99. SciTePress. 978-989-8425-18-8.
- M. Gibson, M. Conrad, C. Maple & K. Renaud (2010) 'Accessible and secure? Design constraints on image and sound based passwords' Information Society (i-Society), International Conference on, pp.423-428, 28-30 June 2010. IEEE Publications 978-0-9564263-3-8
- M. Gibson, K. Renaud, M. Conrad & C. Maple (2009) 'Musipass: Authenticating me softly with "my" song', Procs. 16th New Security Paradigms Workshop NSPW09 (8-11 Sept 2009 in Oxford, UK), pp. 85-100, ACM, New York, USA. 978-1-60558-845-2.
- M. Conrad, T. French & M. Gibson (2006) 'A Pragmatic and Musically Pleasing Production System for Sonic Events', Procs. 10th IEEE International Conference on Information Visualisation IV06 (5-7 July 2006 in London, UK), pp. 630-635, IEEE Publications 0-7695-2602-0.
- Reviewer for International Journal for Human-Computer Studies.
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security.
- Co-founder and organiser of BedsHertsBucks++ this is a bi-monthly meet up and networking event for current students, alumni and local individuals and businesses working in the creative technologies.
- Currently working on a HEFCE funded project tackling hate crime and online harassment on-campus through the NCCR.
Dr Marcia Gibson