Hate crime

Everyone has the right to be safe and secure and to live free from fear or harassment. Hate incidents and hate crime are acts of violence or hostility against a peron or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular characteristic. This could be a disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender identity or an alternative sub-culture hate crime.

Student Support is a Third Party Reporting Centre. If you are the victim of a hate crime, contact Student Support and one of our Student Engagement Advisors can help you report this if you do not wish to visit a police station. More information can be found at report-it.org.uk

What is a Hate Crime?

Any incident which constitutes a criminal offence that it perceived by the victim, or any other person, as being motivated by prejudice or hate.

Report it

If you have witnessed such incidents or been a victim of them, then we are here to support you. It is vitally important that you report any such incidents so that we can all continue to enjoy being part of a safe and tolerant learning community.

Please report any incident - no matter how trivial it may initially appear - that happens to you or someone you know. The University’s Student Engagement Advisors have been trained to offer support for victims and with reporting an incident or crime. The student engagement team is here for staff and students alike. They can meet with you to confidentially discuss your

If you wish to raise a concern around a non-critical incident, contact the University’s Support and Report service - supportandreport@beds.ac.uk


  • Are you or somebody else in immediate danger or seriously injured? Call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are scared or fearful you can visit any of the reception desks and ask to speak to security, or call the Student Support Reception on 01234 793333.

Access Support

  • You may wish to talk to a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.
  • A student Engagement Advisor - An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • Beds SU’s Welfare and Advice Service is not attached to the University and offers an impartial service where an advisor can talk to you. This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University.

Report it

  • Support and Report - Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Support and Report email address. Concerns will be viewed by senior management at the University and your concerns will be fed in to the appropriate team to respond to you
  • If you wish to make a formal complaint against a staff or student at the University, there are formal processes to do this. They can be found on the complaints section of the University website here


University switchboard
During office hours
(Monday-Friday 08:30-17:00)
+44 (0)1234 400 400

Outside office hours
(Campus Watch)
+44 (0)1582 74 39 89



International office

Student support


Our Tweets: @uniofbeds