Enquire about research degrees

By telephone
During office hours
(Monday-Friday 08:30-17:00)
+44 (0)1582 489056

By email

How to apply for a research degree

For all the information you need on how to apply for a research degree and to make sure you fulfil the entry requirements visit our 'How to apply' page

You should have a good honours degree (2:1 or above) or masters degree or equivalent in the relevant subject area.

International applicants should be aware of our English language requirements

Entry level requirements

Part time study

Part time study is available on most of our research degrees if you are a UK (Home) or EU applicant.

Due to UKVI regulations we are unable to accept students who require a Tier 4 student visa onto our part-time programmes.

Entry qualifications

Applicants for a research degree should have a good honours degree (2:1 or above), or a Master's degree or equivalent in the relevant subject area.

For MSc/MA by Research a good Honours degree (2:2 or above) is required in the appropriate subject.

English Language Entry Requirement - Research Graduate School

All international/overseas research degree applicants for whom English is not their first language* are required to have a UKVI recognised English language qualification (ELQ).

Please see example of acceptable ELQs and the level required:

  • with an overall score of 6.0 or more
  • The individual tests within IELTS must have a score of no less than 5.5

For a full list of acceptable English language qualifications please go to: www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa

Please note that the test must have been taken no more than two years prior to application.

Applicants who have successfully completed a degree from a UKVI-recognised English-speaking institute may use this as proof of English proficiency.

* Please note the UKVI has permitted exemptions from the requirements for sponsors to confirm English language competence for those who are nationals from a majority English-speaking country. Further information can be found here: www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/knowledge-of-english

Bedfordshire University Research

Research - REF» Research Graduate School» How to apply » Entry level requirements