Dr Claire Cody
Senior Research Fellow
I am a Senior Research Fellow based within the Safer Young Lives Research Centre at the University of Bedfordshire. I am currently working on the ‘Our Voices III’ project which is: exploring the role of ‘participatory approaches’ in addressing child sexual abuse and exploitation; and developing an international network of researchers committed to challenging sexual violence against children.
I have been working in the fields of child rights and child protection for the last 14 years based within the UK charity sector, the international development field and academia. Over the last decade my research has focussed on understanding and improving responses to children and young people affected by various forms of sexual violence. I established an international network on the recovery and reintegration of children affected by child sexual exploitation and trafficking in 2010, which subsequently led to the development of the RISE Learning Network, now led by the organisation Family for Every Child. I have carried out fieldwork in the USA, India, Cambodia, Albania, Moldova and Serbia exploring responses to young people affected by sexual violence. I have undertaken consultancies for INGOs including ECPAT International and World Vision Cambodia.
My recent research explores: the use of arts-based, group work with young people affected by child sexual abuse and exploitation; the value and challenges of peer support interventions for young people affected by sexual violence and; the process and outcomes of a participatory advocacy project with young women with lived experience of sexual violence in Eastern Europe. In my work, I draw on trauma-informed approaches and feminist and empowerment theories to understand and explore the potential role of group work, art and activism with young people affected by sexual violence.
- BSc (Hons) Psychology - University of Exeter
- MSc Social Anthropology - University of Oxford
- Professional Doctorate, Leadership in Children's and Young People's Services - University of Bedfordshire
- Supervision of undergraduate and masters students
- Lecture on the MA units 'Understanding CSE and associated forms of harm’ and 'the conceptual framework: theories shaping public policy for children and young people's services.'
- The sexual exploitation and trafficking of children and young people
- The participation of children and young people with lived experience in advocacy, practice, policy and research
- Creative and arts-based practice
- Feminist theory and trauma-informed practice
Recent Research and Action Projects
- Our Voices III
- Our Voices Too
- Our Voices
- RISE Learning Network (promoting learning on Recovery and (Re-)integration from Child Sexual Exploitation) in partnership with Family for Every Child and Retrak
- Home: The Child Recovery and Reintegration Network
- Protection against Vulnerability. The Indian Experience 'What works?'
- Bovarnick, S and Cody, C. (2021) Putting risk into perspective: Lessons for children and youth services from a participatory advocacy project with survivors of sexual violence in Albania, Moldova and Serbia. Children and Youth Services Review, 126 106003
- Bovarnick, S and Cody, C. (2020) ‘They need to see the people they are affecting by their decision-making’: Developing participatory advocacy with young people on sexual violence in Albania, Moldova and Serbia. Luton: University of Bedfordshire.
- Cody, C., Bovarnick, S. and Peace, D (2020) Peer support for young people who have experienced sexual violence - tensions, challenges and strategies: Briefing paper four. Luton: University of Bedfordshire.
- Cody, C., Bovarnick, S and Peace, D.(2020) Peer support for young people who have experienced sexual violence - the value: Briefing paper three. Luton: University of Bedfordshire.
- De Bruin Cardoso, I., Bhattacharjee, L., Cody, C., Wakia, J., Tachie Menson, J. and Tabbia, M. (2019) ‘Promoting learning on reintegration of children into family-based care: implications for monitoring approaches and tools. Experiences from the RISE learning network;’ Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies, 15(2), pp.114-123.
- Cody, C and D'Arcy, K. (2017) Involving young people affected by sexual violence in efforts to prevent sexual violence in Europe: what is required? Child Care in Practice, 25(2), pp. 200-214.
- Cody, C. (2017) 'We have personal experience to share, it makes it real’: Young people's views on their role in sexual violence prevention efforts. Children and Youth Services Review, 79, pp. 221-227.
- Cody, C. (2017) Connecting the dots: Supporting the Recovery and Reintegration of Children Affected by Sexual Exploitation [PDF] Bangkok: ECPAT International
- Cody, C. (2016) 'We can't collect comprehensive information on all of these changes': The challenges of monitoring and evaluating reintegration efforts for separated children. In: M. Malloch and P. Rigby (eds.) Exploitation: The Complexities of Human Trafficking. Edinburgh University Press
- Cody, C. (2015) 'They don't talk about it enough' [PDF] Report on the 2014 consultations with Youth Advisors for 'Our Voices'. Luton: University of Bedfordshire
- Cody, C. (2015) Utilising the arts to tackle child sexual exploitation. Safer Communities, 14(1).
- Cody, C. (2013) Working paper – What do we know about safe accommodation and alternative care for children affected by sexual exploitation and related trafficking? Home: The Child Recovery and Reintegration Network
- Cody, C. (2013) Working Paper – What do we know about…integrating into a new community or setting: one option for children affected by sexual exploitation and related trafficking? Home: The Child Recovery and Reintegration Network
- Cody, C. (2013) Working Paper - What do we know about…returning home: one option for children affected by sexual exploitation and related trafficking? Home: The Child Recovery and Reintegration Network
- Cody, C. (2012) Re-integration of victims of trafficking: 'Towards' good practice in Cambodia. Phnom Penh: World Vision International
- Cody, C. (2012) Supporting the social integration of trafficked young people. Forced Migration Review: Being young and out of place. Issue 40, August 2012
- Cody, C., Lawson, E., MacNab, M., Taylor, M., Wallace, R. and Wylie, K. (2011) Scotland: A safe place for child traffickers? A scoping study into the nature and extent of child trafficking in Scotland [PDF]. Edinburgh: Scotland's Commissioner for Children and Young People & the Centre for Rural Childhood, Perth College UHI
- Cody, C. (2010) Recovery services for child victims of sexual violence and their families – what can be offered? [PDF] In Protecting children from sexual violence - A comprehensive approach. Strasbourg: Council of Europe
- Cody, C. (2010) Birth registration: A tool for prevention, protection and prosecution in the context of child slavery in Craig, G. (Ed) Child slavery now: A contemporary reader. Bristol: The Policy Press
- Cody, C. (2009) Count every child: The right to birth registration. Woking: Plan Ltd
- Cody, C. and Heap, S. (2009) Combating statelessness: Plan's experience of improving birth registration [PDF]. Forced Migration Review, Issue 32, April 2009
Recent Conference Presentations and Workshops
- Cody, C. (2017) Involving young people affected by sexual violence in efforts to prevent sexual violence in Europe: why and how? Symposium presentation at ISPCAN's European Regional Meeting, The Hague, Holland, 4th Oct, 2017
- Cody. C (2015) Webinar: Young people's views on their role in sexual violence prevention efforts, University of Bedfordshire, 18th November, 2015
- Chair of the Organising Committee for the Cumberland Lodge Colloquium 'Young people affected by sexual violence as change makers in prevention efforts: what are the opportunities and what are the risks?', Cumberland Lodge, Great Windsor Park, UK, 28th September, 2015
- Cody. C. (2015) Child and youth participation for prevention and protection: The 'Our Voices' Project. Presented at the High Level, Cross Regional Meeting on Protection of Children from Sexual Violence, Council of Europe and the Special Representative of the UN Secretary General on Violence Against Children, Strasbourg, 19th June, 2015
- Cody, C. and Warrington, C. (2015) Making safe spaces to talk about unsafe relationships: bringing young people into the dialogue around preventing and responding to sexual violence. Presented at the 3rd International Conference of the International Childhood and Youth Research Network, European University Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus, 10-12th June, 2015
- Cody, C. (2015) Utilising group arts-based interventions with young people affected by child sexual exploitation. Symposium presentation at BASPCAN's 9th Congress, 'new directions in child protection and well-being', Edinburgh University, 13 April 2015
- Cody, C (2014) Introducing 'Our Voices': giving young people affected by sexual violence a voice in prevention efforts. Workshop at The International Centre: Researching Child Sexual Exploitation, Violence and Trafficking Conference, London, 3 July 2014
- Cody, C. (2014) Introducing 'Our Voices'. Participation Forum - the National Working Group (NWG), Derby, 8th May, 2014
- Cody, C (2013) Engaging the experts: the importance of working with young survivors of sexual violence in prevention efforts. Preventing Sexual Abuse of Children Conference, the Council of Europe and Government of Spain, Madrid 10-11 December, 2013
- Cody, C. (2013) Developing a toolkit to monitor and evaluate reintegration programmes: Learning from children and young people in seven countries. Online presentation at the Global Online Counter Child Trafficking Conference. 16-18 October, 2013
- Cody, C. (2013) Where to go from here: helping organisations monitor and evaluate reintegration programmes. Presented at the conference 'children and youth affected by armed conflict: where to go from here?' Kampala, Uganda 25-27 September 2013
- Cody, C. (2013) Bridging research and practice to support survivors. Presented at the seminar 'human trafficking: conceptualising definitions, responses and 'what needs to be done'. University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, 13 March 2013
- Cody, C. (2012) Life skills programming for children and young people affected by sexual exploitation and trafficking. Presented at the 're/integration of trafficked children in the Western Balkans, regional workshop'. Becici, Montenegro, 4 October 2012
- Cody, C. (2012) What information do practitioners need to better support child survivors of sexual exploitation and related trafficking in India? Free paper at BASPCAN's 8th Congress, 'keeping children safe in an uncertain world'. Queen's University, Belfast, Northern Ireland 15-18April 2012
- Cody, C. (2011) Improving responses for victims of trafficking through applied research, evaluation and knowledge transfer: The role of academia. Presented at the conference ' incorporating human trafficking in academic institutions: the European experience'. University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 25-26 November 2011
- Cody, C. (2008) Birth registration: A tool for prevention, protection and prosecution in the context of child slavery. Conference paper presented at 'child slavery now'. Wilberforce Institute for the Study of Slavery and Emancipation (WISE), University of Hull, 27 Nov 2008
During office hours
+44 (0)1234 400 400
Outside office hours
+44 (0)1582 74 39 89
Our Tweets: @uniofbeds
Oct 06, 2022
Oct 05, 2022
Oct 03, 2022
Oct 03, 2022
Oct 03, 2022
Oct 03, 2022
Oct 02, 2022
Oct 01, 2022
Sep 30, 2022