Professor Jenny Pearce, OBE
Professor of Young People and Public Policy
Jenny Pearce is Professor of Young People and Public Policy, University of Bedfordshire, which was awarded the Queens Anniversary Prize for research on child sexual exploitation influencing safeguarding in 2013.
Her research and consultancy focuses on preventing sexual violence against children and she works with a range of national and international agencies towards this aim.
She was Founder and director of the Safer Young Lives Research Centre (formerly the International Centre: researching child sexual exploitation, violence and trafficking - 2006 to 2016) and continues to work on research and teaching projects related to safeguarding children and young people. In particular, she is leading the Our Voices University Network, an international network of universities challenging sexual violence against children (www.our-voices.org.uk/OVUN)
She is a Visiting Professor at Goldsmiths College, University of London and International Senior Research Fellow with the UNESCO Child and Family Research Centre, NUI Galway, Ireland.
Jenny is an Independent Scrutineer of Local Safeguarding Children Partnerships and is a trustee of The Association of Safeguarding Partners (www.Theasp.org.uk), working with TASP to assess how Independent Scrutiny of LSCPs is being undertaken. She advises and works with case reviews and workforce development activities in child protection, social and youth work practice.
- Certificate of Education - Homerton College, Cambridge, 1975-1978
- Bachelor of Education - Newnham College, Cambridge, 1978-1979
- MA Sociology: with specific reference to qualitative research. (Part-time) - Goldsmiths College, University of London, 1991-1993
- PhD Sociology. Thesis title: 'Being young and keeping safe' (Part-time) - Goldsmiths College, University of London, 1994-2002
- OBE: for ‘work on safeguarding vulnerable children’ 2013
- Queen’s Anniversary prize for pioneering applied research in child sexual exploitation influencing new safeguarding policy and practice: awarded to The University of Bedfordshire (The International Centre: researching child sexual exploitation, violence and trafficking), 2013
- Lifetime achievement award 2015: for ‘outstanding contribution’ to research on Child sexual exploitation awarded by The NWG network: tackling child sexual exploitation.
- The Vice Chancellor’s Student Experience Awards: 2015 For Research Impact of the Year: Bedfordshire University
- Pearce (ed) (2019) Child Sexual Exploitation: Why Theory Matters Bristol, Policy Press
- Beckett, H and Pearce, J (eds) (2018) Understanding and responding to Child sexual Exploitation Routledge: London
- Melrose, M and Pearce, J (eds) (2013) Critical Perspectives on child sexual exploitation and related trafficking Palgrave Macmillan
- Pearce, J, Hynes, P and Bovarnick, S (2013) Trafficked Young people: Breaking the wall of Silence: London: Routledge Falmer
- Pearce, J.J. (2009) Young people and sexual exploitation: It isn’t hidden, you just aren’t looking London Routledge Falmer.
- Thom, B., Sales, R., and Pearce, J (Eds) (2007) 'Growing up with risk' Policy Press
- Pearce, J.J. with Williams, M and Galvin, C (2002) It's Someone Taking a Part of You: a study of young women and sexual exploitation London: The National Children's Bureau. ISBN 1-900990-83-0
Book Chapters (selected)
- Wroe, L and Pearce, J (2022 forthcoming) ‘Young people negotiating intra and extra-familial harm and safety: social and holistic approaches’ in Holmes, D ‘Redesigning approaches to safeguarding adolescents. JKP
- Pearce, J and Coy M (2019) ‘Child Sexual Exploitation and Consent to sexual activity: a developmental and context driven approach’ in Shaw, M and Bailey, S Family Justice: a developmental perspective, The Royal College of Psychiatrists, London
- Pearce, J (2017) Consent to sexual activity, child sexual exploitation and abuse: are international guidelines protecting children? In Dolan, P and Frost, N ‘The Handbook of Global Child Welfare’ Routledge, London: 153-165
- Pearce, J (2017) ‘Commercial sexual exploitation of children’ in Sanders, T (ed) The Oxford Handbook of Sex Offices and Sex Offenders University Press, New York City : 163-183
- Firmin, C and Pearce, J (2016) ‘The Effects on Black Children and Young People living in Gang –affected neighbourhoods’ in Bernard, C and Phulwati Harris, P Safeguarding Black Children : Good Practice in Child Protection London: Jessica Kingsley: 76-92
- Pearce, J, J (2014) ‘Sexual exploitation within a child protection framework’ in Blyth, M (ed) Moving on from Munro Improving children's services Policy Press, Bristol: 125-143
- Pearce, J,J (2013) ‘Contextualising Consent’ in Melrose, M and Pearce, J (eds) (2013) Critical Perspectives on child sexual exploitation and related trafficking Palgrave Macmillan
- Pearce J,J (2010) ‘Preventing sexual abuse through child participation’ in The Council of Europe Publication: ‘Protecting children from sexual violence - A comprehensive approach’ Council of Europe. Strasbourg ISBN 978-92-871-6972-3
- Pearce, J (2010) ‘Young People, Participation and Empowerment’ Introduction to Chapter 2: Participation and improving services in The Eurochild publication “Valuing children’s potential” Eurochild, Brussels.
- Pearce, J,J (2009) Beyond Child Protection: young people, social exclusion and sexual exploitation in Phoenix, J (ed) Regulating sex for sale: prostitution policy reform Policy Press: 121-137
- Pearce J. J (2007) ‘Sex, risk and resilience in adolescence’ in Coleman, J. and Hagell, A. Adolescence, risk and resilience: against the odds Chichester: John Wiley
Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals (selected)
- Shuker, L., Pearce, J (2019) ‘Could I do something like that? Recruiting and training foster carers for teenagers “at risk” of or experiencing child sexual exploitation’ Child & Family Social Work. Volume 24, Issue 3: 361–369.
- Brodie, I and Pearce, J (2017) ‘Violence and alternative care: a rapid review of the evidence’ in Psychology, Health and Medicine Vol 22, No S1: 245-266
- Firmin, C., Warrington, C., and Pearce, J. (2016) Sexual exploitation and its impact on developing sexualities and sexual relationships: the need for contextual social work interventions, in British Journal of Social Work 46 (8): 2318-2337.doi: 10.1093/bsjw/bcw134
- Beckett, H and Pearce, J (eds) (2015) ‘Community safety journal’: special edition on Preventing sexual violence against children: a community response’
- Pearce, J (2013) ‘What’s Going On’ to safeguard children and young people from child sexual exploitation: A review of Local Safeguarding Children Boards’ work to protect children from sexual exploitation?’ Child Abuse Review, first published online,21 JUN 2013 DOI: 10.1002/car.2269
- Pearce, J (2011) ‘Working with Trafficked Children and Young People: Complexities in Practice’ British Journal of Social Work 41(8): 1424-1441
- Pearce, J (2010) ‘Young People, sexual exploitation and trafficking: Contemporary issues in connecting discourses of child abuse and child protection’ in Pearce J and Melrose M (joint editors) Sexual Exploitation and Trafficking: Where is the understanding of the child in contemporary practice in the UK? Journal of ‘Youth and Policy’: Special Issue on young people and sexual exploitation and trafficking of young people: contemporary debates Number 104
- Pearce J.J. (2007) Joint Editor (with Phoenix, J) of a Special edition on ‘The prostitution strategy: how will it impact on community safety?’ ‘Editorial’: pages 3 – 7 The Community Safety Journal. ISSN 1477-5883
- Pearce, J.J. (2006) ‘Who needs to be involved in safeguarding sexually exploited young people?’ Child Abuse Review Vol 15: 326-340 ISSN 0952-9136
Luton, LU1 3JU
T: +44 (0)1582 743034
During office hours
+44 (0)1234 400 400
Outside office hours
+44 (0)1582 74 39 89
Our Tweets: @uniofbeds
Jul 02, 2022
Jul 01, 2022
Jul 01, 2022
Jul 01, 2022
Jun 30, 2022
Jun 29, 2022
Jun 29, 2022
Jun 29, 2022
Jun 29, 2022