For academic publications, please see individual staff profiles
- Allnock, D., Lloyd, J. and Pearce, J. (2017) Evidence-based models of policing to protect children from sexual exploitation. Luton: University of Bedfordshire. Download the report - PDF 1.0 MB
- Harris, J. and Roker, D. with Shuker, L., Brodie, I., D'Arcy, K., Dhaliwal, S. and Pearce, J (2017) Evaluation of the Alexi Project ‘Hub and Spoke’ programme of CSE service development: Final Report November 2017. Luton: University of Bedfordshire. Download the Final Report - PDF 2.1 MB
. Download the Key Messages Report. - PDF 1.0 MB
- Shuker, L with Ackerley, E (2017) Empowering Parents: Evaluation of Parents as partners in safeguarding children and young people in Lancashire project 2014 – 2017. Luton: University of Bedfordshire. Download the report - PDF 601.0 KB
- Shuker, L (2017) Virtuous Circles Theorising the impact of Parents Against Child Sexual Exploitation (Pace) Discussion paper. Download paper - PDF 355.9 KB
- Warrington, C., Beckett, H., Ackerley, E., Allnock, D and Walker, M. (2017) 'Making noise: children’s voices for positive change after sexual abuse'. Luton: University of Bedfordshire/ Office of Children’s Commissioner. Download the report - PDF 5.7 MB
- Bovarnick, S and Scott, S (2017) Child Sexual Exploitation - Prevention Education: A Rapid Evidence Assessment Download the report - PDF 527.0 KB
- Bovarnick, S, McNeish, D and Pearce, J (2017) Child Sexual Exploitation - Outreach Work: A Rapid Evidence Assessment Download the report - PDF 546.9 KB
- Bovarnick, S, Scott, S and Pearce, J (2017) Direct Work with Sexually Exploited or At Risk Children: A Rapid Evidence Assessment Download the report - PDF 1.2 MB
- Firmin, C with Curtis, G. Fritz, D. Olaitan, P. Latchford, L. Lloyd, J and Larasi, I (2016) Towards a contextual response to peer-on-peer abuse: research and resources from MsUnderstood local site work 2013 -2016 Download the report - PDF 11.2 MB
- Allnock, D. Wager, N. (2016) Victim Support's Adult Survivors Of Child Sexual Abuse Project: An Evaluation of a Co-Created Service Delivery Model
- Allnock, D. Sneddon, H with Ackerley, E (2015) Mapping therapeutic services for sexual abuse in the UK in 2015. Prepared for the NSPCC. Download report - PDF 1.8 MB
- Beckett, H. and Warrington, C. (2014) Suffering in silence: Children and unreported crime, Victim Support: This report presents the findings of a Scoping Inquiry into the hidden victimisation of children and young people, undertaken on behalf of the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Victims and Witnesses of Crime. Download the full report - PDF 628.5 KB
- Christie, C. (2014) The Child Sexual Exploitation Service and Missing Children service for young people in Stoke-on-Trent: A Review: This report presents the findings from a high level independent review of two separate service areas which currently operate across Stoke-on-Trent. Download the full report - PDF 546.1 KB
- Beckett, H, Firmin, C, Hynes, P and Pearce, J. (2014) Tackling child sexual exploitation: A study of current practice in London: This report presents the findings of a short-term scoping study into current responses to CSE across London. The work was commissioned by London Councils and the London Safeguarding Children Board and conducted in late 2013. Download the full report - PDF 430.5 KB
and summary report - PDF 221.2 KB
- Kohli, R, Connolly, H and Beckett, H (2014) By their side and on their side. Reviewing the evidence for guardianship for separated children in Northern Ireland. This report presents the findings of a review of the evidence for guardianship for separated children in NI, conducted on behalf of the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young people. Download report (pdf)
- Beckett, H et al (2013) It's wrong…but you get used to it' A qualitative study of gang-associated sexual violence towards, and exploitation of, young people in England. This report presents the findings of a two year study into gang-associated sexual violence and exploitation, commissioned by the Office of the Children's Commissioner for England as part of their Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Gangs and Groups. Download the full - PDF 1.2 MB
and summary - PDF 437.6 KB
reports, or the young person's report. You can also view the films made by young people in a parallel participatory project here
- Shuker, L (2013) Evaluation of Barnardo's safe accommodation project for sexually exploited and trafficked young people. The Safe Accommodation Project piloted the use of specialist foster placements for young people at risk, or victims, of sexual exploitation and/or trafficking, for the first time in England, as well as providing training to foster carers and associated professionals, and 1-1 support to young people in other care settings. This report - PDF 3.9 MB
presents the findings of a two year evaluation of this initiative.
- AYPH Be Healthy project (2013) Resource for young people and professionals. Download booklet. - PDF 4.5 MB
- Pearce, J (2012) Challenging sexual violence in Europe: Using participatory methods with children This report - PDF 1.4 MB
presents the findings of a desk top review into activities across Europe involving young people as participants in efforts to prevent sexual violence against children. The work was initiated and supported by the Council of Europe programme 'Building a Europe for and with Children', with the Institute of Applied Social Research
- Brodie, I and Pearce, J (2012) Exploring the scale and nature of child sexual exploitation in Scotland This report provides a summary of known evidence about the scale and nature of child sexual exploitation in Scotland, based on existing statistics and research and workshops with practitioner experts.
- Beckett, H et al (2012) Research into gang-associated sexual exploitation and sexual violence. Interim report This report - PDF 1013.5 KB
presents the interim findings of a two year study into gang-associated sexual exploitation and violence – final report listed above.
- Shuker, L (2012) The Barnardo's Safe Accommodation Project: Consultation with Young People. This report - PDF 650.4 KB
presents the findings of a consultation with young people in the care system affected by sexual exploitation or trafficking, conducted as part of the Barnardo's Safe Accommodation project. The consultation focused on experiences of the care system and how these could be improved.
- Shuker, L (2012) The recruitment of foster carers. Key messages from the research literature. This report - PDF 386.3 KB
summarises key learning from existing literature around the recruitment of foster carers.
- Shuker, L (2011) Safe accommodation for sexually exploited and trafficked young people. Briefing Paper. This briefing paper - PDF 557.0 KB
considers the factors that will contribute to effective and safe accommodation by summarising key messages from literature related to sexually exploited and trafficked young people, as well as the provision of specialist foster care for vulnerable young people in general.
- Pearce, J and Pitts, J (2011) Youth gangs, sexual violence and sexual exploitation. A scoping exercise for the Office of the Children's Commissioner for England. This report - PDF 518.9 KB
presents the findings of a scoping exercise on the issue of youth gangs, sexual violence and sexual exploitation, derived from key informant interviews and a literature review.
- Jago, S et al (2011) What's going on to safeguard children and young people from sexual exploitation? How local partnerships respond to child sexual exploitation This report - PDF 2.2 MB
presents the findings of a two year study into the extent and nature of responses by LSCBs to the 2009 government guidance on safeguarding children and young people from sexual exploitation.
- Brodie, I et al (2011) Providing Safe and Supported Accommodation for Young People who are in the Care System and who are at Risk of, or Experiencing, Sexual Exploitation or Trafficking for Sexual Exploitation. This report - PDF 761.1 KB
presents the findings of a scoping study into accommodation for young people at risk of/experiencing sexual exploitation. The scoping study took place January to March 2011 and included a literature search, consultation with young people, consultation with practitioners and development of a full research proposal. The research was funded by the NSPCC.
- Pearce, J. et al (2009) Breaking the Wall of Silence: Practitioners' responses to trafficked children and young people This report presents the findings of a qualitative study into the complexities and problems faced by practitioners who are working with cases of child trafficking. The research was conducted by researchers at the University of Bedfordshire and the NSPCC and was principally funded through The Children's Charity. Download report (pdf)
- Jago, S and Pearce, J (2008) Gathering evidence of the sexual exploitation of children and young people: a scoping exercise This report presents the findings of a scoping exercise into how local partnerships are responding to CSE and the challenges associated with this. Download Report - PDF 264.6 KB